Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2016, 11:24   #1

Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Book of Anchorages for the Bahamas?

Any opinions on the "The Great Book Of Anchorages The Bahamas, The Route Most Traveled?" I've got Explorer charts, and I'm planning to get "The Cruising Guide Abaco Bahamas 2016," and the "2016 Yachtsmans Guide To The Bahamas."
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 07:56   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Book of Anchorages for the Bahamas?

I publish the guide so of course I'm a bit biased. I will be happy to answer any questions you might have. Your already on the right track for info you will need to cruise the Bahamas. Each resource will have some information that the other missed. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 09:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
I publish the guide so of course I'm a bit biased. I will be happy to answer any questions you might have. Your already on the right track for info you will need to cruise the Bahamas. Each resource will have some information that the other missed. Chuck
I was wondering if there might not be some overlap. Does it reflect anchorages that have been "roped off" by island owners as well as beaches that are off limits?
Old 21-03-2016, 10:06   #4

Boat: Nauticat 33

Active Captain has everything I imagine anyone would need. And is free. If you use Garmin charts on a mobile device all the Active Captain data overlays and can be used offline.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 10:25   #5

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

There are no roped off anchorages in the Bahamas. In addition ALL beaches are public up to the high water mark. This is by long standing Bahamian law. Only the man made harbours can be private. I.e. Bakers Bay, Atlantis, Treasure Cay. There may be mandatory mooring fields in tight harbours, i.e. Hope Town. The wonderful thing about cruising here are the incredible number of deserted beaches and anchorages. Enjoy!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 11:31   #6

robgrant1, There will be a certain amount of overlap in all of the publications you listed. But each may have one piece of the puzzle the other doesn't, allowing you a complete picture. There are no "roped off" anchorages, but there are private islands now that will not allow landing your dingy or going ashore. We include a lot of details, shore access, weather protections and facilities ashore in our book. If you go to our website for the books you will find a sample page for the Bahamas book. You can compare that sample page to your other publications and decide if it will add to your resources and be worth the additional expense. We have received nothing but positive feedback from everyone that has used the books. Here are just some of our blog posts on our Bahamas trips, including some suggestions for preparing for the trip and crossing. http://trawler-beach-house.blogspot..../label/Bahamas . Whatever you decide, have a great trip and stay safe. We love the Bahamas. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 21-03-2016, 14:53   #7

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

We carry the three Explorer Chart Books, Explorer charts on C-Map for the chartplotter, all three of Stephen Pavlidis' books, and The Great Book of Anchorages. Others have come and gone over the years. On our 9th trip to the Bahamas, these remain.

They are all complementary. Of course there is overlap, but what one misses the other has.

Bill Murdoch
Irish Eyes to the Bahamas
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 15:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
We carry the three Explorer Chart Books, Explorer charts on C-Map for the chartplotter, all three of Stephen Pavlidis' books, and The Great Book of Anchorages. Others have come and gone over the years. On our 9th trip to the Bahamas, these remain.

They are all complementary. Of course there is overlap, but what one misses the other has.

Bill Murdoch
Irish Eyes to the Bahamas
Excellent comments. Our Anchorage Books are designed to be a companion to your favorite cruising guide and not a replacement. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 23-03-2016, 06:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
There are no roped off anchorages in the Bahamas. In addition ALL beaches are public up to the high water mark. This is by long standing Bahamian law. Only the man made harbours can be private. I.e. Bakers Bay, Atlantis, Treasure Cay. There may be mandatory mooring fields in tight harbours, i.e. Hope Town. The wonderful thing about cruising here are the incredible number of deserted beaches and anchorages. Enjoy!
Found the reference to "roped off" anchorages here: Bahamas Anchorages | HERMES WANDERINGS

Here's an excerpt. Note the reference to "chained-off entrances" and private beaches:

There are many anchorages in the Bahamas that offer protection from 3 of the 4 possible directions. Quite a few actually. There just aren't that many that offer protection in all directions (what is actually needed in this "front" prone country). Of the few that do offer this protection, many are now becoming "private". Multi-millionaires are buying whole islands and chaining off the entrances to these anchorages. If they allow anchoring in their private bay, they often do not allow access to the beaches while there. Pretty sad.
Old 23-03-2016, 07:15   #10

Steve Dodges "Guide to the Abacoa's" is a great book...easy to understand and works great with Explorer charts. Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:18   #11

While there may be a few privately dug out basins on private islands, this by no means constitutes "many" anchorages that are closed. I would not bee concerned with this issue. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 04-08-2016, 08:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofc View Post
Active Captain has everything I imagine anyone would need. And is free. If you use Garmin charts on a mobile device all the Active Captain data overlays and can be used offline.
We just returned from the Bahamas, and likewise found Active Captain anchorage information on our Garmin Blue Charts to be invaluable. We had cruising guides, but really didn't use them much for anchoring.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:03   #13

Boat: 60

I do speak English, French German Spanish, do have chart book Martinique from 1960 (great) navionics chart plotter. Asking locals for places off the tourist,resort, hotels, there are still deserted places. Have done this, no worry...
Greaser-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, Bahamas