Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2018, 11:11   #1

Boat: 80 Hunter 33' & 79 Catalina 27'
Sarasota area

39 year old male taking the winter/year off. Id post under crew available but I'm traveling with my small terrier Isla, and trying to work out how feasible sailing with a pet will be.

I'm just arriving in the Sarasota area, looking to buy a 30-40' sailboat and go sailing over the holidays.

I've got powerboat experience, commercial fished when I was a kid, and guided sport fishing trips in Alaska for several years on lakes and rivers, did a little kayaking, rafting, hiking, got a scuba cert, so I'm well on my way and definitely cut out for some adventure, and want to do as much as possible while I'm young.

Specific to sailing, I have basic, bareboat and coastal navigation courses under my belt, a recent 6-pack (inland waterways), and on my way to get a captains license as well, but am looking to focus on sailing enough that it becomes natural over the next year, or lifetime maybe...

I'll probably go it solo, but am looking for anyone interested with or without experience that wants to partner up in the process early on, help get a boat ready, exchange skills or just come along for the ride down the road.

I'm handy and always looking to trade or work. I just remodeled a 4 bedroom house and turned it into an eco-lodge. Fixer-uppers arent out of the question, but the sooner I can get out on the water, the better. And it sounds like the time and place are offering a buyers market.

I have my strengths and weaknesses. I've been getting more and more into farming and gardening, turning waste into energy, helping communities solve problems in creative ways. That's fueling my drive to travel.

I can do a lot but am only one guy and having company always makes light work, safety in numbers and flexibility. I am not a mechanic or captain (yet) but I operated and maintained my own boats as a guide, and am not afraid to tackle any kind of project.

I feel sailing is the most sustainable way to travel, so it just makes sense to proceed in this direction if I want to see the rest of the world - 30 countries and counting. I'm no genius, but I've got a lot of determination and a pretty good head on my shoulders. I'm full of ideas, good with people, marketing and sales, and will pretty much turn anything into a business if I need to make money along the way.

Let me know if any of this resonates with you. I love ideas, options, like-minded and the adventurous.

Jerami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 14:51   #2

Boat: Between boats right now
Send a message via AIM to wilson eavis
Re: Sarasota area

Wondering if you received my response to your ad?

Wilson
wilson eavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 13:31   #3

Just responded. Been out of Alaska a few weeks now. Just missed the big earthquake thankfully. I got to Bradenton and found a job within two days on Anna Maria Island.

The sunsets are gorgeous on the west coast of Florida. Work is easy to find if you're willing and able in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. I walked into the Bradenton Beach Marina. They hired me on the spot, and I have been working on (and cleaning) boats every day. Fun job. Not much but a small paycheck coming in, learning more about mechanics and repair, surveying the local market, plus networking with some locals.

I hear racing is the quickest way to get on a boat around here, so I've been in touch with the Sarasota Racing Squadron. However it isn't as active lately, as they're looking for a new coordinator, so it was recommended to contact E-Scow and Flying Scot fleets. They race usually on Wednesdays and Saturdays respectively. These are boats where one might get wet, and crews are more active. For the E-Scows, show up around 12:30 on Wednesdays. For the Flying Scots, contacting a lady to get schedule.
Old 16-12-2018, 08:35   #4

pirate Re: Sarasota area

I live in Sarasota and am available during Summers to go sailing.
Old 18-12-2018, 20:38   #5

Hey Jerami...I am perusing the ads to find a fit for my own adventure. I just turned 51. Tired of the rat race and just want to bail on the American nightmare. That said I am looking into the same as you buying a 30 to 40ft. I am finding the give away boats are in the North East. Every one is bailing the state of Connecticut do to the Taxes so pretty much a thirty footer 4K ready to go is what I have been running across. But with any deal there are issues. I find sails are mostly worn out and absolutely no up keep on most of them. A quick search on Craigslist will show you exactly what I am talking about. I just found one in Kehma TX 9K ready to go. I also learned that many marinas in Bradenton and Sarasota have minimum footage mandates. I also found the Marinas want arm and a leg and also want to be a benificiary on the insurance. I am tired of places with there demand of having their hand in my wallet so I will not be buying till it's time to float and fly. I have some ideas but zero capitol thanks to the IRS and the fraudulant USA court system. Studied that for 20 years. It's all a sham so I will be ready to fly come spring. As for now it's a sell everything mode. Sarasota will be my first stop lest I purchase on the east coast. Glad to see you found a yob! and easily.
txflyguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 17:30   #6

I meant to post this before:

"Hey all, thanks for replying to my thread! Great to see people like-minded on here. Crazy story, but no joke. I went to look at a 30' Hunter the other day. A friend of a friend was thinking of putting his boat on the market. The guy had told my friend $7k. When I got there, he told me $10k. I said he had a nice boat. I gave him my number and said if he wanted to come down on the asking price, give me a call. Two days later, I find out he killed himself that night. NOT a good start to the boat hunting process.

I'm finding that in this endeavor, like any, it's going to do me good to go over goals/objectives before I dive into anything. Without goals and objectives life has seemed meaningless in the past. challenges seemed insurmountable. I felt weak. With my goals coming together, everything is starting to make sense...Work and sacrifices have become means to an end and life seems complete regardless of what I do. Not just goals. Aligning them with reasonable expectations.

Here are the immediate objectives:

Get time on the water, sailing on as many boats owned by others as possible.
Don't get ripped off or spend more than I can afford to buy, sail and repair.
Don't get a loan, or go into debt buying a boat
Look at as many boats as possible so that I can spot good value
If I have to go small, even design and build my own dinghy first, so be it.
Be prepared to work or make sacrifices for money or boat privelages, but don't spend too much time working on land, so that I can't meet people, go sailing, enjoy life.
If I can't afford to own a live-aboard, it isn't necessarily the end of my sailing dream. It takes time to meet people, gain trust and find opportunities.

Not to preach, but it's exciting! I feel like I have a new lease on life. I had a job and money a few years ago. It was either buy a house or buy a sailboat, depending which one I could find a good deal on first. I ended up buying a house and fixing it up. What a nighmare - it took three instead of 1 year. I almost lost everything because my girlfriend up and left half way through. Somehow I managed to hang onto the house, and now it's happily rented out for a year, so my bills are covered for the house. I'm working for travel and boat money, and I'm chasing a new girl (all the way down to Florida).

So as you can see, I have bills like anyone. I have responsibilities, like anyone. I have strengths and weaknesses. But now, I. Have. Energy!

So when I do get a boat, all this optimism from pointing out and conquering each small challenge (with purpose) along the way to achieving those goals, I'm going into it with much more confidence.

If you are curious about my goals, they're reasonable, some high-level, but attainable:
Be healthy. Reduce unnecessary spending. Pay off debt. Accept and know myself (what makes me happy, know how much I'm willing to sacrifice for others, demand what I expect out of relationships and life), communicate better, have fun, be humorous, forgive myself, learn from mistakes and failures, don't dwell on the past, plan but don't worry about the future. Have courage. Have courage. Have courage.

As an aside, I wrote more on at least one aspect of priming yourself to achieve your goals, if anyone is interested: When life hits hard, hit back harder – Jerami

Still working at the marina. The guys that hired me saw that I not only work, but that I've got some of these things figured out. I'm not taking crap, but being respectful. I'm working like a beast, while thinking about each task I undertake. I get along. I listen and I offer an honest, unbiased input. That said, within a month, I went from a lowly dockhand to First Mate on their paddle boat - like the one you'd see on the Mississippi. There are plenty of negatives to go along with working for a small time marina, but I won't waste time or digress, it would take me away from my focus.

I've established that I can learn quicker than a job will teach me. I can make money, I have the tools and handy skills to fix anything but I want to get sailing away.
Old 22-12-2018, 16:15   #7

Yes. Boats, storage, repairs. All expensive, but there are ways to save, and I'm learning...

I'm seriously glad I bought a house and rented that otu first. I'll be able to get my money back out of that deal. A boat may be a different story, but like looking at a hundred houses first, I'll check out many boats as well first.

One crucial detail I've learned in Bradenton beach.

You can moor for free just outside the channel between the mainland and Anna Maria Island.

There are a few derelict boats there, some half sunk. And so they say there is crime, but a few landlords park their boat and rent it out for $300-$400/month as live aboards at anchor. Anyone know if this is common?

I hear there's a lot of lesser than ideal people out there, but I've also heard that mostly from the more well-to-do types.

I met a mechanic who has lived out there among them for many years - yes, it's a rougher crowd, but not as bad as people make it out to be. Most know eachother and if there's any drama, guys like him go over to knock some heads together.

This same guy said he has a few for sale out there that he's fixing up. So I may go out and take a look. Probably nothing to get excited about.

In summary, if you aren't living the high life, or are low on cash, you don't have to pay to be in a marina. However, the marina fees are indeed high, but I'd have them pull my out and do the work myself. They charge $100+/hr.

That's why I've decided to work in the yard a few months, to get to know the guys. When I buy a boat, I will know the drill, know how to do the work myself, and waste as little time and money as possible.

Tags
sarasota