Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2018, 18:16   #181

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Weed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yup, reality bites sometimes .

I like your general view, but I would say the effort has been anything but noble. Foolish, flawed, deceitful and simply wrong are some of the terms I would apply.

The fact is that lots of animals seek altered states of mind, not just humans. Getting ‘high’ is as natural as tribalism, homosexuality or liking country music (OK, maybe this last one is questionable ).

The reason prohibition of drugs keep failing (first alcohol, now cannabis) is b/c we’re evolutionarily predisposed to seeking altered states. Anyone who gets a rush from sailing understands this. The euphoria one feels is simply a flood of endorphins and adrenaline; you know, drugs.

As the saying goes: You can’t fight Mother Nature.
Mike, for gods sake man, stop being soo damn logical, it will get you nowhere.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 22-02-2018, 19:24   #182

Quote:

I like your general view, but I would say the effort has been anything but noble. Foolish, flawed, deceitful and simply wrong are some of the terms I would apply.

The fact is that lots of animals seek altered states of mind, not just humans. Getting ‘high’ is as natural as tribalism, homosexuality or liking country music (OK, maybe this last one is questionable ).

The reason prohibition of drugs keep failing (first alcohol, now cannabis) is b/c we’re evolutionarily predisposed to seeking altered states. Anyone who gets a rush from sailing understands this. The euphoria one feels is simply a flood of endorphins and adrenaline; you know, drugs.

You nailed it my friend
Old 22-02-2018, 20:33   #183

Quote:

I say noble, because of the wasted and destroyed lives, and at least, an attempt, to stem the losses. In our small community (and, even in extended family members) I see the human debris everywhere, every day.

But, you're right about nature. We keep trying to keep Darwin away from a lot of these folks with more, and more extensive safety nets.

And, about the seeking of altered states. I've lost count of the marijuana, crack, coke, meth, and heroin users who told me that if I ever just started using myself, all my questions as to why, would be answered.

I just never wanted to know that bad.
Old 22-02-2018, 21:58   #184

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I say noble, because of the wasted and destroyed lives, and at least, an attempt, to stem the losses. In our small community (and, even in extended family members) I see the human debris everywhere, every day.

But, you're right about nature. We keep trying to keep Darwin away from a lot of these folks with more, and more extensive safety nets.
You’re right about the dangers and devestation addiction can cause. My own immediate family, thick with good Irish/Newfoundland blood, is no stranger to the damage alcohol can do. I applaud those who help folks deal with these issues. You’re right, they are indeed “noble people.”

I’m actually pretty libertarian when it comes to this kind of stuff. I think all recreational drugs should be legalized — not b/c I think most of this crap is a good idea, but b/c I think one mark of a free society is the freedom to do truly stupid things. As long as the harm mostly falls to the individual making the choices, I say ‘have at it!’

After all, what can be crazier than giving up a life on land, moving onto a smallish sailboat, and heading off across the wide blue water? That sounds pretty stupid
Old 22-02-2018, 23:09   #185
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Guys.

The administration of CF have decided that this thread, given the subject matter, the post removals, some antagonism etc etc, has been covered in depth and as such no more can be said. Its content related to sailing has been answered.

On that basis, the thread has served its purpose. Thanks to all who participated. It is time to rest the thread without prejudice before/and/or any repercussions head CFs way.
Closed Thread