Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2018, 10:47   #46

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Good Drones for Cruisers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Hi Dockhead.
Ive been around drones for while.

SNIP
Probably not as long as me.

I just got one of the fairly new HEXH2O Pro hexcopters with DJI Lightbridge and the X3 camera; the same camera in my DJI Inspire 1 which is not as good as the newer X5 and X7 DJI cameras. I also have two older HEXH2O platforms as well as a QUADH2O platform; all of which are waterproof but use GoPro cameras and no Lightbridge. Also have 3 DJI Sparks and two DJI Mavics; two older DJI Phantoms, a DIY X6 platform I build myself as well as a Witespy quad. Got some more older and less capable platforms as well. Not to mention I have a Splash which I consider a POS. If you have any doubts about this look on Youtube for vids made by various platforms. You will find lots of DJI vids but you really can't find any decent Splash vids cuz they simply don't work as a flying camera.

But enough nerd talk. The first thing to consider is where you will be flying your platform since as others have posted rules and laws differ not just from country to country but also state to state, city to city, and even smaller geographic areas like parks and HOAs (many marinas are part of an HOA).

Next is what I will call your minimal acceptable level of IQ (Image Quality). First do you only want to capture still images or do you want to make moving pictures. While top of the line platforms can capture 4K video some lower end platforms are limited to 720. To a great extent image quality is related to price and you also need to determine if you can realistically get the IQ you want with constraints of the price you are willing to pay.

One of the biggest downsides of my HEXH2O Pro is the size. I store it in a Pelican 1730 case which basically takes up a Vberth. So take into account where you will be keeping your toys when not in use. As we all know storage is very limited on a boat. The result is I often wind up using my Sparks because the case I store them (along with two controllers, six batteries, and battery charger) in is about the size of a normal laptop computer case; not to mention how easy it is to get them ready to shoot. On the other hand the case for a Phantom is easily twice the size; but the Phantom does have better IQ and is easier to hand catch. The Sparks are even smaller and set up more quickly.

Keep in mind that a lot of us are sailors which means we sail which means wind. Not all platforms perform well in even light winds. The best platform I have for what I will call normal winds (10-15+ knots) is my Inspire. It has a fairly small profile and powerful engines; much more so than Phantoms or Mavics. Another downside of the HEXH2O platforms is they are quite bulky with lots of windage; but they do have six strong engines and if the pilot is aware of the wind direction are usable.

Bottom line for me is to look on Youtube and find vids that match what you want to do, find out which platform was used to make the vid and strongly consider it. As for me I have various needs as a film maker and choose which one of my platforms best fits my needs. Here is a vid on Youtube I made that may give you an idea of what the Inspire is capable of. Check out the turtle running along the bottom and kicking up puffs of sand with its flippers and the trail it leaves. This is the kinda IQ I demand in my vids; but I understand not everyone is as demanding.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:55   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Probably not as long as me.[emoji3]

I just got one of the fairly new HEXH2O Pro hexcopters with DJI Lightbridge and the X3 camera; the same camera in my DJI Inspire 1 which is not as good as the newer X5 and X7 DJI cameras. I also have two older HEXH2O platforms as well as a QUADH2O platform; all of which are waterproof but use GoPro cameras and no Lightbridge. Also have 3 DJI Sparks and two DJI Mavics; two older DJI Phantoms, a DIY X6 platform I build myself as well as a Witespy quad. Got some more older and less capable platforms as well. Not to mention I have a Splash which I consider a POS. If you have any doubts about this look on Youtube for vids made by various platforms. You will find lots of DJI vids but you really can't find any decent Splash vids cuz they simply don't work as a flying camera.

But enough nerd talk. The first thing to consider is where you will be flying your platform since as others have posted rules and laws differ not just from country to country but also state to state, city to city, and even smaller geographic areas like parks and HOAs (many marinas are part of an HOA).

Next is what I will call your minimal acceptable level of IQ (Image Quality). First do you only want to capture still images or do you want to make moving pictures. While top of the line platforms can capture 4K video some lower end platforms are limited to 720. To a great extent image quality is related to price and you also need to determine if you can realistically get the IQ you want with constraints of the price you are willing to pay.

One of the biggest downsides of my HEXH2O Pro is the size. I store it in a Pelican 1730 case which basically takes up a Vberth. So take into account where you will be keeping your toys when not in use. As we all know storage is very limited on a boat. The result is I often wind up using my Sparks because the case I store them (along with two controllers, six batteries, and battery charger) in is about the size of a normal laptop computer case; not to mention how easy it is to get them ready to shoot. On the other hand the case for a Phantom is easily twice the size; but the Phantom does have better IQ and is easier to hand catch. The Sparks are even smaller and set up more quickly.

Keep in mind that a lot of us are sailors which means we sail which means wind. Not all platforms perform well in even light winds. The best platform I have for what I will call normal winds (10-15+ knots) is my Inspire. It has a fairly small profile and powerful engines; much more so than Phantoms or Mavics. Another downside of the HEXH2O platforms is they are quite bulky with lots of windage; but they do have six strong engines and if the pilot is aware of the wind direction are usable.

Bottom line for me is to look on Youtube and find vids that match what you want to do, find out which platform was used to make the vid and strongly consider it. As for me I have various needs as a film maker and choose which one of my platforms best fits my needs. Here is a vid on Youtube I made that may give you an idea of what the Inspire is capable of. Check out the turtle running along the bottom and kicking up puffs of sand with its flippers and the trail it leaves. This is the kinda IQ I demand in my vids; but I understand not everyone is as demanding.

Thanks very much for this! The sheer volume of knowledge and expertise on this forum constantly amazes me.

Image quality is important to me - I do still photography with a Sony A7 with full frame sensor, and Leica M lenses. I have a 4k monitor, but I don't think I need to be shooting 4k video - high quality HD video looks good to me. Considering also that editing 4k video is a PITA. Capability to shoot stills at 4k would probably be good.

It sounds to me like the Mavic Pro might really be a decent choice for me, especially considering that it folds up for storage. Is it really not powerful enough to operate on a windy day? It's supposed to be capable of airspeed exceeding 30 knots.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:08   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I dont do 4k. Editing is painful.

1080p is good enough for me'n'Youtube.

Just because a drone will do 30 knots, doesnt mean the video stability will be good. One false twitch or one gust and its all over.

Ive lost 2 DJI drones, one due to a faulty operator, me... and one due to one of them there gusts of wind and not enough room to recover. It dropped 50 foot like a brick... in Mallorca. I cant post any of the videos from Spain due to the fact that if a landmark is recognised, I get in trouble...

Used properly, they are fantastic.... misused and all drone users get a bad name. Mishandled and you will be a few grand out counting the replacement... Dont count on insurance helping if you fly in high winds.

I love them. Going to Hong Kong in March so will look for the latest small and stable with GPS, good camera, return to home and longevity in the battery...

2 months will be enough time for drone design to have moved on ..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:12   #49

Boat: 32 contessa

I have had a few of the DJI products , Phantom 1 2+ 3 standard ,,
I wont but dji products any more there cameras are way to delicate ,,,
The just break ,,, the best phantom i had was the first one where you stick your GOPRO on it ,,,,
Just check how many are forsale with smashed camera gimbals ,,, my last one broke on a landing in grass ,,, at $400 just for the camera .
I will go back to the gopro and edit the footage later ,,,
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:28   #50

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Thanks very much for this! The sheer volume of knowledge and expertise on this forum constantly amazes me.

Image quality is important to me - I do still photography with a Sony A7 with full frame sensor, and Leica M lenses. I have a 4k monitor, but I don't think I need to be shooting 4k video - high quality HD video looks good to me. Considering also that editing 4k video is a PITA. Capability to shoot stills at 4k would probably be good.

It sounds to me like the Mavic Pro might really be a decent choice for me, especially considering that it folds up for storage. Is it really not powerful enough to operate on a windy day? It's supposed to be capable of airspeed exceeding 30 knots.
There is a big difference between getting a bird in the air in windy conditions and getting good quality IQ from a camera on a bird in the air in windy conditions. I have seen vids from a Mavic in 20MPH winds and they are OK; but there is a definite drop in IQ from vids in calm conditions. Also keep in mind that when a Mavic is put in tripod mode it's max speed drops from 30MPH to around 4MPH. A lot of the reason for that is that the way it acts as a tripod in the sky is to make almost instant adjustments to the speed of the individual props which takes battery power for the CPU and electric engines reducing flight time.

I am a big fan of Mavics and consider them my go to platform for most things. A big part of that is because of the old photographers first rule that the best camera is the camera you have with you. If you look at the start of the turtle release vid I posted it is clear the palm fronds are really blowing around. Another thing to consider is the turtle bit one of the handlers which delayed the release over 35 minutes which caused me to have to land my Inspire twice and switch out the batteries. Reality often intrudes when capturing images meaning you need to have stuff to deal with delays, bad weather, and what ever else happens.

If you are using the Mavic on a boat and need to hand catch it I would consider getting add on legs for it at a bare minimum. But here is a vid showing the method I use along with what I will call realistic expectations for vids. Of course there is a babe in a bikini which is mandatory for all footage.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 16:21   #51

Boat: Caliber 47

To answer one of your questions...yes the Mavic Pro is fast enough to keep up with your sail boat....think the top speed is close to 40.

I take off and land my Mavik Pro on the stern of our boat all the time.....obviously have to watch out for the rigging.

Takes great still and videos and yes it;s easy to fly!

Greg
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:52   #52

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Had the opportunity to view to footage taken in SE Alaska last summer. Fantastic. Plenty of use to see areas hidden from view from the deck of the boat. Useful for planning hikes and avoiding bears...I am going to get one too.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 18:54   #53

Boat: O'Day 34

We use a Phantom 3 which has about a 21 minute flight time and is easily hand caught on a moving boat. It has an awesome camera and only costs $399.
Although I have yet to try it on our sailboat with all of the rigging in the way. Here's an example from last year.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 19:32   #54

Any updates on using a drone in the Bahamas. The rules seemed to change a bit each year. Anyone with recent experience of what works? --or doesn't work
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:15   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

A Drone rescue

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:28   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

I guess there is a pretty strong case for the Mavic based on its very great advantage in storage volume. I don't quite know where I would keep something like a Phantom.

I have a large clear afterdeck where it should be possible to land it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 11-01-2018, 03:01   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This doesn't look like fun.
Walt Whitman
Old 13-01-2018, 19:05   #58

Boat: Outremer 55 Light

Just saw that Delos had their mavic hit the water. Not sure what happened yet

My experience was that a mavic would not land on a deck that was moving. It needed to be hand caught which was a significant challenge given the Mavic’s form factor.
elaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 06:52   #59

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaak View Post
Just saw that Delos had their mavic hit the water. Not sure what happened yet

My experience was that a mavic would not land on a deck that was moving. It needed to be hand caught which was a significant challenge given the Mavic’s form factor.
I have done this with the boat moving slowly, but the obstacle avoidance needs to be turned off and requires some fancy flying. It is probably worth mentioning again that I have launched the Mavic many times with the boat moving, but on 3 occasions the motors shut off immediately after takeoff, causing the drone to crash. DJI tech support has no idea what could cause this but I do not take chances any more and now slow way down or stop when launching or retrieving.

For sailing shots with the Mavic we stop the boat, launch, send the drone up 100' or so and leave it, get the boat sailing, get the shot with the drone, stop the boat and retrieve the drone. We don't do a lot of sailing selfies anymore.

There is a member here who posted a video shot with a Phantom in which, with the boat sailing at a good clip, he fly's the drone down to the boat, under the cockpit hardtop and into the hands of a crewmember. Respect!

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 07:32   #60

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

It's not filming from a drone but it is still great shooting, just from a kite. What's even cooler is that he is single handing his boat as well as the kite he is filming from. If you don't find a drone you like you can always try this!

ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser