View Single Post
Old 28-09-2006, 13:34   #27
hellosailor
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rick-
Scientific data for your camphor block: The US Navy. When they "mothball" a ship, they literally seal it up, dry it out, and place CAMPHOR BLOCKS below. From what I'm told & have experienced, either the real thing or the newer naphthalene/para mothballs will work equally well.

You're dead right about how it works, the mothballs sublimate at room temperature and leave a molecule-thick coating on whatever else is around them, and that's all it takes to block rust.

For those who want something a little gentler on the nose, 3M makes "vapor deposition tabs" that look like waxy postage stamps, available from gunsmiths and other tool suppliers, designed to be put in a gun case or tool drawer to protect things without making the smell.

Each of my tool boxes has some mothballs in each compartment, and we strew a box in the boat before closing it up for the winter. The fumes can make you QUITE dizzy when you open it up--they need to be aired out--but they stop rust and keep all the little critters out as well. We had some problems with wasps nesting in the boom in the spring. Couple of mothballs jammed in, no more wasps.

Sometimes the old fashioned remedies work very nicely. And if I could find the 3M tabs at the same "buck per box" price as mothballs, I'd be just as happy to use the new ones.<G>

Favorite tool...That's a hard one. Probably the high-end wire stripper or ratcheting wire crimper, each an expensive tool bought for a wiring project, that just make it SO much faster and simpler to do it right. Or maybe the Fiskars screwdriver with four different bits (2 slotted, 2 phillips) and an odd finned rubber handle that looks like a martian sex toy--but never blisters my hand.<G>

I've learned to appreciate a GOOD screwdriver with a machined bit. There's a lot of junk on the market, even from brand names. The really good ones almost lock into the screws because the fit is so much better.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote