Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Forum (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f80/)
-   -   Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f80/space-invasion-meteorites-and-astroids-98184.html)

GordMay 15-02-2013 06:16

Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
More than 500 people were injured when a meteorite shot across the sky and exploded over central Russia on Friday, sending fireballs crashing to Earth, shattering windows and damaging buildings.

People heading to work in Chelyabinsk heard what sounded like an explosion, saw a bright light and then felt a shockwave according to a Reuters correspondent in the industrial city 1,500 kilometres east of Moscow.

Meteorite strikes central Russia, hundreds injured - The Globe and Mail

***

Small near-Earth asteroid 2012 DA14 will pass very close to Earth on February 15, so close that it will pass inside the ring of geosynchronous weather and communications satellites.

012 DA14 will have a close, but safe, pass by Earth on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:25 p.m. EST (19:25 UTC). At that time, the asteroid will pass no closer than 17,000 miles above the surface of Earth over Indonesia.

NASA - Asteroid 2012 DA14 ? Earth Flyby Reality Check

S/V Alchemy 15-02-2013 11:37

Re: Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
Apparently, this is just a celestial coincidence. Bruce Willis has been advised to stand down.

If that's just a ten-tonner, however, it's clear that something bigger could do more than break windows, set off car alarms and fill Russian trousers.

Dockhead 15-02-2013 12:04

Re: Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
It blew out windows throughout the city! Numerous exclamations on the videos (I understand Russian) refer to being bombed by the Chinese! :)

Ocean Girl 15-02-2013 12:07

Re: Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Jef...?entrynum=2350
Wild
E

europaflyer 15-02-2013 12:14

Re: Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
I love the fact that a huge fuss has been made over an asteroid which will miss us by 27,000km which we spotted a year ago, but we completely failed to see the one 1/3 of the size that actually hit us on the same day...

Blue Stocking 15-02-2013 13:01

Re: Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
GordMay, just to give this legitimacy, no sailboats are known to have been hit in Russki. :D

atoll 15-02-2013 13:02

Re: Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
well it is currently 20h00 utc and haven't heard a bang,though quite a few zombies about.........

ReMetau 15-02-2013 13:16

Re: Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by atoll (Post 1159239)
well it is currently 20h00 utc and haven't heard a bang,though quite a few zombies about.........

We call those Politicians.

tropicalescape 15-02-2013 13:42

Re: Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordMay (Post 1158888)
More than 500 people were injured when a meteorite shot across the sky and exploded over central Russia on Friday, sending fireballs crashing to Earth, shattering windows and damaging buildings.

People heading to work in Chelyabinsk heard what sounded like an explosion, saw a bright light and then felt a shockwave according to a Reuters correspondent in the industrial city 1,500 kilometres east of Moscow.

Meteorite strikes central Russia, hundreds injured - The Globe and Mail

***

Small near-Earth asteroid 2012 DA14 will pass very close to Earth on February 15, so close that it will pass inside the ring of geosynchronous weather and communications satellites.

012 DA14 will have a close, but safe, pass by Earth on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:25 p.m. EST (19:25 UTC). At that time, the asteroid will pass no closer than 17,000 miles above the surface of Earth over Indonesia.

NASA - Asteroid 2012 DA14 ? Earth Flyby Reality Check

The russian national leader Zharofnoskie(sp?) says that it is an American weapons test.."If you control the heavens and the earth you will win the war"(Sunsu art of war)

delmarrey 15-02-2013 18:31

Re: Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Stocking (Post 1159238)
GordMay, just to give this legitimacy, no sailboats are known to have been hit in Russki. :D

But it did land in a lake breaking a big hole in the ice. Could have been a boat there. :whistling:

Blue Stocking 15-02-2013 18:51

Re: Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
Del, geesh, monos, multis, now iceboats?

justlearnin 18-02-2013 19:27

Re: Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
The sky IS falling.

bobconnie 18-02-2013 19:35

Re: Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
:whistling:All I can say about this , is if ya see one coming, bend over and do the old kiss good by !! LOL And to think that I uased to think shooting stars were so neat !! LOL

Rhapsody-NS27 18-02-2013 20:12

Re: Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobconnie (Post 1162171)
]And to think that I uased to think shooting stars were so neat !! LOL

They are!
...from a distance :D

Tar34 18-02-2013 20:23

Re: Space Invasion - Meteorites & Astroids
 
Meteor, Could it be because of Global Warming? Just because everything else is caused by global warming might as well ask the Science Guy....... Who ever said there are no stupid questions...? CNN Worlds Most Trusted Network
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tU5H1fq6g0


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:42.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.