Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Fishing, Recreation & Fun (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Laser boat on a cruiser (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f61/laser-boat-on-a-cruiser-96092.html)

YoloSF 13-01-2013 20:20

Laser boat on a cruiser

Hello forum,

First time poster here, although I've read this forum inside out. I'm making plans for a circumnavigation 2 years from now, and one of the things I'd like to take with me is a laser sailboat. I've done some cruising along the coast of Spain before in the summer, and the air can get pretty light, but it would be great fun on a laser sailboat! Also, I would imagine my life pace would slow down quite a bit, I'm envisioning several days at anchor, and I'll want to have fun.

Has anyone stored a laser sailboat aboard their boat? Any pictures? Merge info on hoisting up and down, rigging, etc. would be appreciated!

I mean, people take kayaks and surf boars, but I'm a sailor... My toys involve more boats :)

Jimbo485 13-01-2013 22:05

Re: Laser boat on a cruiser

why not get a sailing dinghy so it has multiple uses?

GordMay 14-01-2013 07:11

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, YoloSF.

A Laser is a one-design racing dinghy.

Quirocat 14-01-2013 07:17

Unless you have a massive cruiser, it will not fit a laser comfortably. I have a 44 footer and tie my laser to her stern while anchored in our home waters of Spain. I think a sailing dinghy would be more easily stowed and more practical. We may add an inflatable kayak or two when we take off on our circumnavigation.

stephengrem 14-01-2013 07:25

How experienced are you with a laser?
It's a tiny boat to sail but still large enough to be a pain to store.

boatman61 14-01-2013 07:34

1 Attachment(s)
Something like this would be more versatile... and you can take a pretty companion and picnic basket...:D
Iain Oughtred’s 7'10" Acorn Tender

YoloSF 14-01-2013 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1129871)
Something like this would be more versatile... and you can take a pretty companion and picnic basket...:D
Iain Oughtred’s 7'10" Acorn Tender

Yeah... that's not happening haha. I want a fast sailboat, I'm very familiar with lasers having owned them and raced them in the past.

Sailing dinghies don't really appeal to me.... I'd prefer just a regular dinghy with outboard at that point.

C'mon, nobody has a laser or similar sailboat on their cruiser? I find that so hard to believe...

Quirocat 15-01-2013 01:25

I do own a laser and wouldn't want to have to lash it onto the foredeck. I!ve seen them on super yachts with a huge toy garage. You could do it if you have a nice big foredeck and it!s vitally important for you to have on board. Remember, you'll still need a dinghy, so you're probably looking at installing davits off your stern to stow that. I'd start researching other collapsible racers that are more storable.

atoll 15-01-2013 02:05

we had a"mirror" dinghy as a tender for a few years on our 35 ft pilot house yacht,used to store it leaning up against the rigging and the pilot house in the scuppers.
used the boom for launching.
it was a real pain in the ass boarding once the mast was up

cal40john 15-01-2013 03:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoloSF (Post 1130168)
Yeah... that's not happening haha. I want a fast sailboat, I'm very familiar with lasers having owned them and raced them in the past.

Sailing dinghies don't really appeal to me.... I'd prefer just a regular dinghy with outboard at that point.

C'mon, nobody has a laser or similar sailboat on their cruiser? I find that so hard to believe...

If you want a fast sailboat get a windsurfer. It's faster than the Laser, stores on deck much better, and weighs a lot less.

If you must have a Laser find someone with a boat to experiment with fitting it on and see for yourself how hard this is going to be to make work if you don't believe people here. Or get the deck plan of the boat you think you'll have, make a scale cut out of a Laser and see where it fits.

fkittson 15-01-2013 06:56

If you HMP (Holland Marine Products) on his web site you will see some pictures of his CS 36 Merlin. I have known him for a couple of years. He regularly hangs his daughters Laser off of the davits. You just need to make secure points on the laser deck to hang it from.
Best Regards
Fraser

NahanniV 15-01-2013 07:33

http://www.hollandmarine.com/hmpwithlaserl.jpg

cfarrar 15-01-2013 07:33

We have a Laser, and we would never bring it cruising. It's far too big and heavy. I second the windsurfer idea.

mikereed100 15-01-2013 07:53

1 Attachment(s)
Ohhh, a Laser,by "laser boat" I thought you meant one of these:

stephengrem 16-01-2013 19:24

There is an inflatable catamaran on the market. That would be the easiest from a storage standpoint but I have no idea about performance.
A laser is a bit much to haul around the world.
Or why not see about renting a laser in a few places around the world?