Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marine Electronics (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   Portable GPS recommendation? (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/portable-gps-recommendation-94082.html)

Dod42 06-12-2012 04:42

Portable GPS recommendation?

I am looking at purchasing a new hand held gps unit. I want it as a backup to the chart plotter. Has to be reliable, simple to use, reasonably water proof for use in Australia and South Pacific. What brand / model would you recommend or not recommend?

Livia 07-12-2012 18:43

Re: Portable GPS recommendation?

The Garmin 76cx (or similar in that series) is great. ...and there are charts for the S Pacific floating around for it I hear.

xymotic 07-12-2012 20:04

I REALLY liked my Montana, but they are a little spendy, and you get really pissed when you lose it. But it's really really good.

sck5 07-12-2012 20:06

another vote for the garmin 76csx. I got it to use for charters and now it is my backup on my boat. Still working well years later.

Nicholson58 07-12-2012 20:15

I have a Garmin Dakota that is easy to use and works well. Its on deck always. There are probably a lot of hand-helds that are good. Ours came as a really good end of season clearance deal and was pre-loaded with a lot of software for about the same as the standard bare-bones units. Look for the total package including a free one-year software upgrade.

ElGatoGordo 07-12-2012 20:49

I can recommend against Delome's current line. I've had and used my PN-60 for 2 years and I'm not impressed.

impi 07-12-2012 21:10

I have a garmin but find the data cards are way too expensive !!!

ElGatoGordo 07-12-2012 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by impi

That's what got me onto the Delorme, $30 gets you all you can download for a year. But too many negatives override the benefit.

xymotic 08-12-2012 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by impi (Post 1102522)

? The entire US is $100 didn't seem too bad to me.

Hammer 08-12-2012 02:04

Not sure if it has the exact functionality that you're looking for but I use a Garmin Oregon 450t for my hand held GPS.

It's waterproof, rugged and very easy to use with touch screen technology. I usually bring this along with me when I'm sure exploring.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=63350

LJH 08-12-2012 02:20

I have a Garmin 78sc to use as a backup. The documentation is not the best, but it has some good features. I have it wired into the boats power and have it mounted at my nav station. (It has a good stand available.)

xymotic 08-12-2012 02:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer (Post 1102579)
Not sure if it has the exact functionality that you're looking for but I use a Garmin Oregon 450t for my hand held GPS.

It's waterproof, rugged and very easy to use with touch screen technology. I usually bring this along with me when I'm sure exploring.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=63350

I used a friends Oregon and then got the montana. Way bigger screen, better battery life and you get the T model a camera.

I was pretty appalled that the Oregon burned through some AA's in like 5 hours.

noelex 77 08-12-2012 04:34

I have a Garmin 62. It's great as a basic GPS, but I would not bother with maps. The screen is too small.
As a basic GPS it has good battery life, a good GPS engine, and proper aerial so it will pick up a good fix where others struggle.

The 76 is similar with only a patch aerial, but its easier to connect to a PC if you want to do that.

The black and white 72 is also a very good unit, but get the new one with the better GPS engine.

Hammer 08-12-2012 05:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by xymotic (Post 1102583)
I used a friends Oregon and then got the montana. Way bigger screen, better battery life and you get the T model a camera.

I was pretty appalled that the Oregon burned through some AA's in like 5 hours.

I use rechargeable batteries on mine and each charge last me more than 9 hours. The longest I've used it in one go and it had more juice left.

I use it during hiking/canyonning @ the Blue Mountains and when kayaking around Pittwater and Port Stephens using 3D topographical maps. I use a Ram mount to fix it on my kayak.

LJH 08-12-2012 05:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by noelex 77 (Post 1102616)
I have a Garmin 62. It's great as a basic GPS, but I would not bother with maps. The screen is too small.
As a basic GPS it has good battery life, a good GPS engine, and proper aerial so it will pick up a good fix where others struggle.

The 76 is similar with only a patch aerial, but its easier to connect to a PC if you want to do that.

The black and white 72 is also a very good unit, but get the new one with the better GPS engine.

To add to my earlier post, I would not bother with maps for a hand held either. In fact the NMEA output from my 78 can be used to feed GPS sentences to my chart plotter if my main GPS fails. It also has a USB cable that will provide GPS info to my laptop.

Inside the boat I need to have a patch aerial. I am not sure how quickly it will run through batteries since I have it hooked up to 12v power.