Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Mount Gay Rum Hats (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f57/mount-gay-rum-hats-86990.html)

GreggL 11-08-2012 17:44

Mount Gay Rum Hats

Soo ive been around the sailing world long enough to know of these hats, and have obviously always wanted one.

Never had the opportunity to receive one at a regatta however a strange thing happened the other day. Raced a pro instructor at the summer camp I work at and one of his caps was on the line. Long story and a few bruises later, I'm the proud owner of one of these iconic hats.

What's the ruling here, am i allowed to wear it? Or is that just lame?

Scott Berg 11-08-2012 18:00

Did you win the race fair and square?

belizesailor 11-08-2012 18:07

Re: Mount gay rum hats

Normally, I would say that if you ain't been there and done that, then you should not wear the t-shirt -- or hat as the case may be.

However, since there is a good sailing story behind it, I think that legitimizes your right to wear it. But, you need to come up with a really good dramatic version of the race story!

atoll 11-08-2012 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreggL (Post 1010277)
Soo ive been around the sailing world long enough to know of these hats, and have obviously always wanted one.

Never had the opportunity to receive one at a regatta however a strange thing happened the other day. Raced a pro instructor at the summer camp I work at and one of his caps was on the line. Long story and a few bruises later, I'm the proud owner of one of these iconic hats.

What's the ruling here, am i allowed to wear it? Or is that just lame?

i guess if you were mounted by a gay you get to keep the hat:popcorn:

GreggL 11-08-2012 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Berg
Did you win the race fair and square?

Yea, at least I think I did. Haha

GreggL 11-08-2012 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by atoll

i guess if you were mounted by a gay you get to keep the hat:popcorn:

That's valid I guess. Thanks for the feedback.

donradcliffe 11-08-2012 18:16

If you ever get to Barbados, wear the hat to the Mt Gay factory and the tour and tasting will be free...

tager 11-08-2012 18:18

It's kinda like wearing one of those tobacco-company promo products that you have to save up barcodes to get.

It's for tools.

GreggL 11-08-2012 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by tager
It's kinda like wearing one of those tobacco-company promo products that you have to save up barcodes to get.

It's for tools.

Speaking of which. Have this old school Marlboro sleeping bag that I got from barcodes my aunt gave me years ago. That thing is sick. Haha

Tools or not, nice piece of memorabilia and at least a pretty decent story behind it.

From my experiences, people get pretty sensitive bout those hats. Hope this doesn't cause a ruckus..

Lake-Effect 11-08-2012 18:26

I think cruisers are required by most clubs to wear Tilleys, so that club bartenders know to serve them last. Tilley knockoffs are not permitted; wearers are discreetly ushered off the premises, and non-sailing ball-caps are permissible only for groundskeeping staff.

White faux-captain hats usually result in summary execution.

GreggL 11-08-2012 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake-Effect
I think cruisers are required by most clubs to wear Tilleys, so that club bartenders know to serve them last. Tilley knockoffs are not permitted; wearers are discreetly ushered off the premises, and non-sailing ball-caps are permissible only for groundskeeping staff.

White faux-captain hats usually result in summary execution.

I'm sorry but I have no idea what that means... Sounds hilarious though!

witzgall 11-08-2012 19:25

1. It is a hat
2. You have a head

Wear it.

PS - back when my head had hair on it, I worked as a photographer on the water, including work as Yachting Mags photographer for some of the race weeks. I had a bag of over 50 hats at one time, all collected on the water. Many, many of them were found in the water at the first windward mark. I was once offered $50 for a KWRW hat during the regatta, and did not sell it. Stupid me.

Chris

belizesailor 11-08-2012 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by witzgall (Post 1010342)
...I had a bag of over 50 hats at one time, all collected on the water. Many, many of them were found in the water at the first windward mark. ...
Chris

Some of those may have been mine! I've had a few Mount Gay hats over the years...everyone of them wound up on the bottom (or at least not on my head).

Blue Stocking 12-08-2012 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by tager (Post 1010301)

It's for tools.

--said the hoodied ?

tamicatana 12-08-2012 04:26

Re: Mount Gay Rum Hats

As you continue to wear the hat, it'll turn pink as it fades, and then you'll have...

...the Gay Pink Hat.