Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   State Sen. Kehoe Drops Anti Fouling Paint Bill (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/state-sen-kehoe-drops-anti-fouling-paint-bill-82792.html)

fstbttms 31-05-2012 08:35

State Sen. Kehoe Drops Anti Fouling Paint Bill

The lobbyists won. Again.

Kehoe drops copper-based boat paint bill | UTSanDiego.com

minaret 31-05-2012 09:15

Re: State Sen. Kehoe Drops Anti Fouling Paint Bill

Politics as usual. Money talks.

fstbttms 31-05-2012 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by minaret (Post 961715)

Bingo.

delmarrey 31-05-2012 09:30

I believe it was copper vs Pesticides and better science in the decision. Which is going to be more damaging?

Blue Stocking 31-05-2012 09:30

So--are we happy--or sad at this decision. :confused:

BTW, is not the name Gale Filter suitable for a person involved in marine safety matters. :D

fstbttms 31-05-2012 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Stocking (Post 961728)
So--are we happy--or sad at this decision. :confused:

Ask any California boat owner how he feels when in-water hull cleaning is banned because copper continues to be an issue.

MarkSF 31-05-2012 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by minaret (Post 961715)

Common sense talked in this case.

Blue Stocking 31-05-2012 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by fstbttms (Post 961731)
Ask any California boat owner how he feels when in-water hull cleaning is banned because copper continues to be an issue.

-I wasn't intending to be antagonistic. Other than this forum, don't know much about what your coast does.

MarkSF 31-05-2012 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by fstbttms (Post 961731)

But what they've not got much evidence for, is that the levels of copper seen around marinas cause harm to marine life. I found one study that found that plankton is less common near marinas, but higher lifeforms aren't affected. I can live with lower levels of plankton. Another looked at effects of copper plumes caused by hull cleaning of navy ships - a vast area to clean - they couldn't find adverse effects.

My marina is full of seabirds, fish, and you regularly see rays swimming around - and that's right in the middle of the marina where concentrations are highest.

There's one area in San Diego that has problems, and they wanted to legislate for all of California because of that. It was disproportionate, and ill-thought-through, just like most of California's legislation.

I have no problem with progress when it's worthwhile but the cost to boaters vs. return in terms of environmental improvements just wasn't there.

SailingwithSoul 31-05-2012 09:48

I do my own little part by switching to water-based bottom paints. So long as there are lobbyists and money in politics, the average person and the environment will always suffer.:banghead:

fstbttms 31-05-2012 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 961739)
I have no problem with progress when it's worthwhile but the cost to boaters vs. return in terms of environmental improvements just wasn't there.

The issue isn't about whether there is plankton near our marinas or not, its about the state complying with federal law. Copper in California's coastal waterways will now continue to exceed federally-mandated levels. This isn't a matter of choice, the state MUST meet USEPA water quality criteria. Since we've now decided that we won't ban copper in anti fouling paint, what do you think the next option will be?

MarkSF 31-05-2012 10:34

Well banning bottom cleaning would be stupid but I've lived in California long enough to know that that's no deterrent to the legislators.

fstbttms 31-05-2012 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 961780)
Well banning bottom cleaning would be stupid but I've lived in California long enough to know that that's no deterrent to the legislators.

It could happen. I hope everybody who supported the Recreational Boaters of California in their fight against SB 623 will be happy if it does. :rolleyes:

SunDevil 31-05-2012 10:47

There has to be some type of coating that would be better for boat hulls. Researchers need to look into how to make a coating that doesn't get fouled. Teflon, Silicone, plastics, we should be able to create something.

fstbttms 31-05-2012 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevil (Post 961789)
There has to be some type of coating that would be better for boat hulls. Researchers need to look into how to make a coating that doesn't get fouled. Teflon, Silicone, plastics, we should be able to create something.

The paint manufacturers have been working on this for years (in expectation of a ban that will now not happen in California.) There are many non-copper or non-metal, non-toxic alternatives to traditional copper-based anti fouling paints. But just as nothing worked as well as tin (which is why it was banned) so far, nothing works as well as copper, or is otherwise as suitable for the recreational boating market.