Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Atlantic & the Caribbean (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Boat Yard in SE Florida (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/boat-yard-in-se-florida-79746.html)

gettinthere 07-04-2012 06:18

Boat Yard in SE Florida

Looking for recommendations on a working yard to stay at for a few weeks to get some projects done. We won't have a car but do have bikes. Like to be close to suppliers. Will stay in the water. Does not need to be a fancy marina.
Ft. Lauderdale to Stuart. Like to be in Ft. L if the price is good.

GordMay 07-04-2012 06:32

Re: boat yard in SE Florida

Playboy Marine Center - Ft. Lauderdale/Dania Beach
Do-It-Yourself Boat Yard on the Dania Cutoff Canal just south of Port Everglades, on the north side of the canal, about a mile west of the Intracoastal Waterway.
Do It Yourself Boat Repair Facility in Dania Beach - DIY Boat Maintenance Yard | Playboymarine.com

gettinthere 07-04-2012 06:40

Gord
I got the impression Playboy is haul out only, no wet slips.

GordMay 07-04-2012 07:11

Oops, my bad.

skipmac 07-04-2012 07:17

Also, unless the area has built up since I was there last, it could be a couple of miles or more to any stores.

speedoo 07-04-2012 08:35

OP, do you want to do the work yourself, or have the yard do it?

gettinthere 07-04-2012 08:48

diy

Mainly installing solar panels, also rebuilding heads, other odds and ends.
Nothing major like painting or sanding, rigging, etc.

skipmac 07-04-2012 09:04

Except for some of the very hoity toity marinas, the kind of work you mention should doable at most marinas, boat yard not required.

Most marinas will allow reasonable boat work as long as you are not running loud power tools all day, don't clutter up the dock with parts and tools, don't get dust and paint overspray on the neighbors, etc, so you should be able to do your work most anywhere you can dock.

gettinthere 07-04-2012 09:15

Skip
I figured as much.
I guess what I'm really looking for is a cheap place to park close to supplies and relatively safe.

Are the city docks on the river safe? Sounds like the public can stroll right up to your boat.

Hudson Force 07-04-2012 09:19

Re: Boat Yard in SE Florida

If your work is on board and in the slip Cooley's Landing up the New River in Ft. Lauderdale would suit for about $50/day an it's close to all needs. If you can fit under the 55' fixed bridge further up the New River, Marina Bay Resort will be a better price, but not as close to amenities and supplies.

skipmac 07-04-2012 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettinthere (Post 925589)
Skip
I figured as much.
I guess what I'm really looking for is a cheap place to park close to supplies and relatively safe.

Are the city docks on the river safe? Sounds like the public can stroll right up to your boat.

Can't really help with current safety and security information on the river but when I kept my boat there about 30 years ago it was the only dinghy I've ever had stolen. The docks are totally open to any casual passerby.

gettinthere 07-04-2012 09:27

CapForce
Cooleys Landing was what I was thinking of. Aren't the docks on the river walk where the public can walk right up to your boat?

waterworldly 07-04-2012 10:13

You can stay in downtown Miami for about $1300 for the month, utilities included. Security is excellent and the docks are locked off from the public with access cards. Free parking if you get a car. You can walk/ride to Downtown Ace Hardware and River Marine. There is a train to go to West Marine in South Miami, or buses to go north to a huge mall for other supplies. There are grocery stores within an easy bike ride, or take the peoplemover, it's free. I have been pulling in here to get work done, including varnish work, many times between our winter in the Bahamas and summer in NYC. Nice people and the marina is surrounded by a big waterside mall with restaurants and bars (cheap ones) as well. If you need a car, there are four rental places within 5 blocks. Here is the website: Miami Marinas

gettinthere 07-04-2012 10:29

WW
thanks but I don't need a month, I hope!
I might be able to keep this to 3 or 4 days at the marina (which means a week) and then finish while anchored further north.

yachtfinder 07-04-2012 11:15

No real issues on the New River. Just lock it up. Even tho you might not stay @cooley landing you can use facilities if you are staying along the river and are paying the city. Cooley has some issues timing the current. Best deal, somewhere beteween 3rd and Andrews bridges. Boat US card earns a reduced rate for 1st 3 days. Close by publix, boat gear/supplies within 10-15 bike as well. This based on CURRENT experience as in 2012.