Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Meets & Greets (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Lurking from Alaska (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/lurking-from-alaska-77121.html)

lat 64 20-02-2012 11:21

Lurking from Alaska

Hello,
I am just up and on the forum for real now after using it for a few years for research and ideas to fix things on my boat, a tired Columbia that someone else sailed up from Seattle.
I live in the "hotbed" of the cruising scene here in Interior Alaska—just no open water!
The ol' boat is in Homer on the kenai Penninsula, which has water. Water is good for sailing, I hear, but bad for boats.

An hello and a big manly euro-style kiss to James s.

Russ

captain58sailin 20-02-2012 11:37

Re: Lurking from Alaska

Welcome to the forum, from Lat. 59.

GordMay 20-02-2012 11:52

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Russ; from Lat. 48.29.

Yep, water's good for sailin'.

lat 64 20-02-2012 12:04

Thanks for the welcome.
Capt. 58, I don't now your boat, but I have been on Dutch Baby another Skookum that is out of Homer. I think it's over in Cordova right now. The owners also have the Predator if you know it.

R.

captain58sailin 20-02-2012 12:23

I know the Predator, don't recall the Dutch Baby. Right now there is mine, the Inua, Nomad II, and one other that is in the yacht configuration. Hard to say, it's getting so I can hide my own easter eggs.

Waterway Guide 20-02-2012 12:28

Welcome aboard, Russ (lat 37).

lat 64 20-02-2012 13:18

Hi Mike,
I would surely love to do the ICW some day.
Capt. 58, I remember the Inua. Didn't realize it was a Skookum hull. I'll go look at her closer next time I get down.
The Dutch Baby was always easty to spot because there is a big plastic owl perched on the spreaders.
I'll probably post a few questions on the Electronics area soon. I have an old Ratheon r10x with low hours that I am re-commissioning, and I am having some trouble with the cable. I won't fill up this thread with that though.
Need to decorate my "space" here too.

cheers all,
R.

captain58sailin 20-02-2012 13:29

I have one of those owls on a deck brush handle, but it doesn't seem to deter the flying rats. I am in the middle of a major refit. In between working to pay for the refit. Anyway if you happen to be around in March, knock on the hull, I'll be in the engine compartment throwing wrenches and swearing.

lat 64 20-02-2012 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain58sailin (Post 891789)
I have one of those owls on a deck brush handle, but it doesn't seem to deter the flying rats. I am in the middle of a major refit. In between working to pay for the refit. Anyway if you happen to be around in March, knock on the hull, I'll be in the engine compartment throwing wrenches and swearing.

I do plan to come down in March. I'll be doing much the same things as you over on P-14. FYI, Happy hour is when the sun finally fills the cockpit when I park the boat pointed north-ish.

captain58sailin 21-02-2012 09:45

Roger on that! I am over on JJ or HH, anyway across the harbor in Siberia. I'll see if I can swing by and say howdy.

lat 64 21-02-2012 11:42

I do get to that side when My Brother is in town. He has Steered the Waters a few times or crewed on the Kittiwake.
I've heard loud rock-n-roll from that big black crabber—you must need ear plugs to work over there.

captain58sailin 22-02-2012 11:18

I can't hear it right now, I'm in Nigeria.

James S 07-03-2012 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by lat 64 (Post 891719)

An hello and a big manly euro-style kiss to James s.

Russ

Back acha buddy.

SkiprJohn 20-03-2012 13:05

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here on the forum.
kind regards,