Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Navigation (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Route to Colombia from Key West (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f121/route-to-colombia-from-key-west-74127.html)

FranklinGray 03-01-2012 07:12

Route to Colombia from Key West

Forgive me if I put this question in the wrong forum.

Which would you think the best route to Colombia from Key West in June? The options I can see are:

Go west around Cuba and then beat all the way to Cartagena. That's a long beat :( Also may have to fight the loop current depending on it's current cycle.

Motor east around Cuba and then a close reach all the way to Cartagena. 4 days of motoring is a bummer for this route but at least I don't have to fight the current.

Now if I decided to leave in May I could stop in Jamacia and wait for a good weather window to cross the C-sea to Cartagena. Breaking the trip into two smaller windows is what I like about that but then I have the issue of internet again (from another thread) :)

Because winds tend to be light in the Gulf during June, except a good blow once in a while, I was wondering what you thought about doing a beat to Cartagena? If the winds are light, a beat might be best to keep my speed up. Thoughts?

Richard Jordan 03-01-2012 07:49

Re: Route to Colombia from Key West

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranklinGray (Post 851730)
Forgive me if I put this question in the wrong forum.

Which would you think the best route to Colombia from Key West in June? The options I can see are: Go west around Cuba and then beat all the way to Cartagena. That's a long beat :( Also may have to fight the loop current depending on it's current cycle. Motor east around Cuba and then a close reach all the way to Cartagena. 4 days of motoring is a bummer for this route but at least I don't have to fight the current. Now if I decided to leave in May I could stop in Jamacia and wait for a good weather window to cross the C-sea to Cartagena. Breaking the trip into two smaller windows is what I like about that but then I have the issue of internet again (from another thread) :) Because winds tend to be light in the Gulf during June, except a good blow once in a while, I was wondering what you thought about doing a beat to Cartagena? If the winds are light, a beat might be best to keep my speed up. Thoughts?

I took the route east of Cuba last June and then again in November. I would recommend it as the Exumas are nice and when on the banks can be pretty calm. I would stop in Port Angeles, Jamiaca. Do *not* stop in Matthew Town, Great Inagua. The trips took 10 and 11 days with a few days waiting weather on the second one.

The trip west of Cuba I think is faster, but beating back is a bummer. You might go to the San Blas and then ride the coastal currents back to Cartagena.

sanssouci 28-08-2013 06:43

Key West to Columbia - Depart Key West with a good weather forcast, motorsail North shore Cuba, refuel in Port Royal, broad reach across Carib to Colon or Bocas Del Toro, refuel and motorsail San Blas Islands to Columbia. Remember: "DEPART KEY WEST WITH GOOD WEATHER FORCAST"

FranklinGray 28-08-2013 07:13

Thank you. I had thought about that route but decided against it because it was a 4 day trip to get around Cuba and I don't think I would have found 4 days of not having to beat against the wind and seas.

I ended up going around to the Bahamas and seeing the Bahamas and then through the windward passage on down to Cartagena. I had 10' beam seas on the ride down and it was wet but safe. I'm now in Bocas Del Toro planning my return trip to Texas.

sanssouci 28-08-2013 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranklinGray (Post 1324526)
Thank you. I had thought about that route but decided against it because it was a 4 day trip to get around Cuba and I don't think I would have found 4 days of not having to beat against the wind and seas.

I ended up going around to the Bahamas and seeing the Bahamas and then through the windward passage on down to Cartagena. I had 10' beam seas on the ride down and it was wet but safe. I'm now in Bocas Del Toro planning my return trip to Texas.

In Bocas, have you checked in with the Bocas Net on VFH and facebook? Sailing back you might consider going back to Colon before sailing North.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/375247705846742/

FranklinGray 28-08-2013 11:42

I haven't checked with anybody yet but did my normal weather window research and yes, I agree, the angle is much better from Colon. I also notice that in November the winds are more from the north so that is when I plan on heading to Colon. Then it seems in early February the winds are light enough for a two day sail to San Andres. Then in March I will sail 3 days to Roatan. Then April 3 days to Isla Mujeres and then May I cross the Gulf to Kemah and then get ready for my second trip around the Caribbean.

sanssouci 28-08-2013 11:57

Where are you anchored or moored in BocasDelToro? Are you familiar with Red Frog Marina?

FranklinGray 28-08-2013 12:00

I was tied up at Red Frog for a few weeks but now at Bocas Marina.

sanssouci 28-08-2013 12:20

How is Gary Osborn doing?

tbodine88 30-08-2013 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Jordan (Post 851759)
Do *not* stop in Matthew Town, Great Inagua.

I hope you say this because its harder vis-a-vis the route.

I really enjoyed visiting Matthew Town, the people were nice, but I was going North and the Bahamian entry fees were lower then.

Fair winds