Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   A Rubber Query (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/a-rubber-query-72616.html)

Jim Cate 03-12-2011 16:02

A Rubber Query

No, not THAT kinda rubber!

We have a pair of Nikon 10x30 stabilized binoculars and find them quite useful. They're about five years old or so and still work just fine, despite not being waterproof. But, the rubber cladding on them has steadily degraded, starting after only about a year's heavy usage. It seems to have become nearly water soluble... that is, when the humidity is high or your hands are sweaty the rubber softens, becomes gummy and actually erodes off of the body of the binocs. We've resorted to dusting them with talcum powder, but that's not a very nice solution to the problem... looks weird, too!

So, my question is: has anyone found a way to improve this situation? Perhaps a product that one could re-coat with, or something that would stabilize the remaining original rubber? I'll be grateful for constructive advice.

Cheers,

Jim

44'cruisingcat 03-12-2011 17:18

Re: A rubber query

Maybe try Armourall, or a similar protective product for plastic? Might make them a little slippery though.

delmarrey 03-12-2011 17:27

Re: A rubber query

Don't know if it would work but you could grind up/grate some car tire material and start coating the sticky spots until it absorbs all the goo, making a new grip.
I would contact Nikon and see what they say. You might even get a new set of grips.

Vasco 03-12-2011 17:54

Re: A Rubber Query

Maybe a pair of chaps like on pvc dinks.

Jim Cate 03-12-2011 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cate (Post 830674)
No, not THAT kinda rubber!

We have a pair of Nikon 10x30 stabilized binoculars and find them quite useful. They're about five years old or so and still work just fine, despite not being waterproof. But, the rubber cladding on them has steadily degraded, starting after only about a year's heavy usage. It seems to have become nearly water soluble... that is, when the humidity is high or your hands are sweaty the rubber softens, becomes gummy and actually erodes off of the body of the binocs. We've resorted to dusting them with talcum powder, but that's not a very nice solution to the problem... looks weird, too!

So, my question is: has anyone found a way to improve this situation? Perhaps a product that one could re-coat with, or something that would stabilize the remaining original rubber? I'll be grateful for constructive advice.

Cheers,

Jim

Ooops!

Just to be fair about it, they are Canon binocs, not Nikon. Must have been wishful thinking on my part!
anyway, thanks for the ideas... any more out there?

Jim

DeepFrz 03-12-2011 19:22

Jim, have you contacted Canon Service dept. They may have an answer for you.

Wotname 03-12-2011 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cate (Post 830762)
Ooops!

Just to be fair about it, they are Canon binocs, not Nikon. Must have been wishful thinking on my part!
anyway, thanks for the ideas... any more out there?

Jim

And there was I thinking "how can I get a set of Nikon stabilized binocs", oh well....

As for your problem, I can't think of anything that could help - sorry.

Charlie 04-12-2011 08:51

Two ideas neither of them tested 1) truck bed liner paint and 2) https://www.getflexseal.com/?tag=im|...a_bid=a4cc8494 I was thinking of using the second for my hunting waders.

colemj 04-12-2011 09:07

Our Canon 10x30's have done the exact same thing. It started about a year after getting them and we finally sent them back to Canon a few weeks ago with a warrantee claim. They replaced them under warrantee. They are two years old and the Canon warrantee is three years.

We had the same model of binocular for 10 years previous to this pair and the problem with the rubber never happened. The last pair was often in the direct sun and spray, but this pair is rarely outside a shaded protected enclosure (different boats).

I think they had a manufacturing or formulation change over the years.

Mark