Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Watt & Sea (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/watt-and-sea-69164.html)

careka 02-10-2011 05:19

Watt & Sea

Well now there is one for the crusers also, and it gives a lott of Watts.
powers up from 3 knots and is OK al the way up to 20knots, and it gives us 500watts on 8 knots of sailingspeed. not bad.
they say the price is around 4000

Cruising hydrogenerator | watt&sea

has anybody installed on. ?

mbianka 02-10-2011 07:04

Re: Watt & Sea

Quote:

Originally Posted by careka (Post 787948)
powers up from 3 knots and is OK al the way up to 20knots, and it gives us 500watts on 8 knots of sailingspeed. not bad.

Did not install one of these but, did install a complete electric propulsion system on board back in 2008 for a little more than the cost of one of these units. Recently discovered I can also regenerate power back to the battery bank as well as propel my boat:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ANOTHER ADVANTAGE OF ELECTRIC PROPULSION: REGEN
I call that a win win situation.:thumb:

multihullsailor6 02-10-2011 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by careka (Post 787948)

The price is actually between 5500 and 6000 depending on where you buy. Nice piece of equipment!:thumb:

careka 02-10-2011 11:42

OK, was hopeing my 4000 was to high, but i was wrong.
Well in time the price will drop i hope.

xymotic 02-10-2011 11:56

holy crap!!! I thought 4k was a typo!

That thing is approaching the cost of a new main engine.

Jim Cate 02-10-2011 13:16

Good Grief!

It looks a nice bit of kit, but that's really over the top pricewise.

We achieved nearly as good output (not convenience, though) with a trolling gen consisting of a surplus permanent magnet dc motor, 50 feet of 1/2 inch yacht braid, 3 feet of 5/8 inch s/s shafting and a junk prop from a 6 hp Johnson outboard. Total cost under 200$, but back in 1986 when the dollar was worth something.

Hard to believe that there is a big market for such things at those prices.

Cheers,

Jim

VirtualVagabond 02-10-2011 13:48

Nice if you've got a lazy $8-9k burning a hole in your pocket.

But you still have to be underway. With most cruisers on the hook 85% of the time, and racers drilling holes in their boot laces to reduce weight, I think the market will be limited to the rich and careless.

deckofficer 02-10-2011 13:55

Capt Mike,

If you want some serious and controlled regen, go to the max prop. Before hoisting sail, run in astern so the prop pitches 180*. To control the amount of drag and regen, use a controller for the motor that is laptop programmable and install a 0~5K pot. I don't know what voltage your battery bank is, but without a controller designed for regen, the only regen you will get is at hull speeds that surpass electric propulsion speeds. I have used Etek PM brushed motors and they require 1 volt per 72 rpm, so to regen without a regen controller you would need 55.2 volts to feed a 48 volt bank, motor being spun at 3974 rpm. With a PWM controller with regen built in, you can set both voltage and current via the laptop, and then control the ramping up of output via the 0~5K pot.