Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Meets & Greets (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Bought a Boat in Perth (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/bought-a-boat-in-perth-68687.html)

DasMuller 23-09-2011 22:44

Bought a Boat in Perth

Hi - I'm new to the forum.
Our story....We relocated to Perth in 2007 and I spent two seasons crewing on a 40ft Farr to learn a bit about sailing as I'd never really sailed before. I eventually built up the courage to buy 'Ben Bolt' - a 40ft Trimaran in early 2010 - the idea was to slowly get my wife and kids keen on sailing and do some coastal cruising. As luck would have it we had hardly taken ownership when I took an assignment in Madagascar (just for 6 months to sit out the recession) and we left Ben Bolt sitting on a mooring in Mangles bay. Six months has now turned to 18 months, Ben Bolt is still sitting on the mooring and it looks like I'll be going from here to South Africa instead of returning to Perth...
Having failed at a few half-hearted attempts to get somebody to sail her over to Madagascar for me (and to sell her), I'm seriously considdering trying to get a crew together and sail her from Perth to Mauritius next June/July, from where I'm hoping to find somebody that can use her for charter / daysailing tourists - enough to keep her maintained.
Until then I'm looking for somebody that may want to use her (at no cost) for the season in Perth - just so she's at least getting some use and attention.

Wotname 23-09-2011 22:56

Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

G'day DasMuller and welcome aboard. I don't think I can help you out (mores the pity) but I do know someone in Rockingham who has been seriously thinking about buying a cruising boat but just can't pull it all together right now (family, work etc etc). If you want to PM with more details, I can bounce the idea off him and if he is interested, I can put the two of you in touch. He is a responsible and level headed kind of guy.

DasMuller 23-09-2011 23:42

Yes please. That would be great. I'm new to this forum thing. What's PM.

Eleven 24-09-2011 01:00

Click on the individuals name in the left hand panel, and you get a list of options.
{Personal Message} is one of them, i.e. not readily visible to others.

GordMay 24-09-2011 05:32

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, DasMuller.

SkiprJohn 25-09-2011 11:12

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,

unbusted67 25-09-2011 11:31

"Please sail and use my 40 ft trimaran for free"? This sounds like the flip side to an all to common post: Let me use/live on your 40 ft boat for free. We've got a live one!!! Welcome to CF. I am sure you will find all that you need and then some.

Wotname 26-09-2011 02:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by DasMuller (Post 782224)
Yes please. That would be great. I'm new to this forum thing. What's PM.

I will ask him and let you know what eventuates

RigelKent 26-09-2011 02:52

Wotname, DasMuller, let me know if I can be of any help (newbie up for fun crewing a trimaran near Perth).

Jamel 26-09-2011 03:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by DasMuller (Post 782210)
Hi - I'm new to the forum.
Our story....We relocated to Perth in 2007 and I spent two seasons crewing on a 40ft Farr to learn a bit about sailing as I'd never really sailed before. I eventually built up the courage to buy 'Ben Bolt' - a 40ft Trimaran in early 2010 - the idea was to slowly get my wife and kids keen on sailing and do some coastal cruising. As luck would have it we had hardly taken ownership when I took an assignment in Madagascar (just for 6 months to sit out the recession) and we left Ben Bolt sitting on a mooring in Mangles bay. Six months has now turned to 18 months, Ben Bolt is still sitting on the mooring and it looks like I'll be going from here to South Africa instead of returning to Perth...
Having failed at a few half-hearted attempts to get somebody to sail her over to Madagascar for me (and to sell her), I'm seriously considdering trying to get a crew together and sail her from Perth to Mauritius next June/July, from where I'm hoping to find somebody that can use her for charter / daysailing tourists - enough to keep her maintained.
Until then I'm looking for somebody that may want to use her (at no cost) for the season in Perth - just so she's at least getting some use and attention.

Sad case really! Impulse buying can have dire consequences down the track!

All the best mate, hope the outcome is OK!:(

Mark Cusack 26-09-2011 05:45

G'day DasMuller,
If you haven't finalised someone to care/use your boat, I am interested in throwing my hat in the ring. Like you, I am looking at buying an ocean going boat for cruising.
Regards
MC

cat man do 26-09-2011 07:20

Dudley and Jenny's old boat eh?
I see she's had a colour change away from the red and white of old.

Wotname 05-10-2011 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wotname (Post 783408)
I will ask him and let you know what eventuates

Quote:

Originally Posted by RigelKent (Post 783410)
Wotname, DasMuller, let me know if I can be of any help (newbie up for fun crewing a trimaran near Perth).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Cusack (Post 783463)
G'day DasMuller,
If you haven't finalised someone to care/use your boat, I am interested in throwing my hat in the ring. Like you, I am looking at buying an ocean going boat for cruising.
Regards
MC

DasMuller,

Yes, my colleague is interested in helping out here. He is a member of the TCYC at Rockingham and has all the various tickets etc required in WA.

We are also thinking that RigelKent and Mark Cusack (if he is still interested) and myself can help him out if and when as required.

What would you like to do next?

Unicorn Dreams 05-10-2011 06:08

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum

DasMuller 12-10-2011 11:44

Great!! Sorry for the delayed response. I'm planning to be in Perth 06-20 November to give her a little much needed attention, but I don't think time will allow me to get her out of the water. I've also had some interest from a couple that are relocating to Perth for a year on contract. Not sure how to proceed from here - are any of you guys able to make it to TCYC at any time between 6&20 Nov?