Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   9.9hp Outboard Question (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/9-9hp-outboard-question-67802.html)

szymek 08-09-2011 20:19

9.9hp Outboard Question

Hi Folks,

I currently have 1985 (I think) evinrude long shaft 2 stroke. Motor is running good most of the time. Sometimes dies on me when throteling down and it's hard to start sometimes right after. Happened few times already. Kind of scary when i'm coming into the marina.

I had it serviced and still the same thing. now also i'm getting quite a bit of sludge coming out of little hole at the bottom of the shaft. I believe they are to relieve back pressure - they seem to go just right through.

I'm considering picking up another outboard. I have my eye set on 2005 honda 9.9 4 stroke extra long shaft with electric start and cockpit control. It's going for $2000. what's your take on those motors? any good? What's the weight of those motors - i can't find specs for them.

i'm sort of on the fance... put some money into mine old motor or invest in the newer honda... ahhhhhhhh... decisions. :-)

tager 08-09-2011 20:47

Re: 9.9hp Outboard Question

Those hondas do terrible with ethanol gas.

zeehag 08-09-2011 20:54

i had a honda 8--hated it. bought as nissan 9.8...LOVED it.
had many evinrude/johnson engines and they were awesome--reliable and easy to start.
hated the honda because it was too hard for me to start.

szymek 08-09-2011 21:04

oh wow... i'm glad that i posted a question here. Maybe changing to that Honda is not the greatest idea.

Maybe I should just do some work on my old moter over the winter... so far it's been quite faithful... just few incidents and that sludge is starting to concern me.

Any other feedback on Honda's?? i'm starting to reconsider my decision.

mdvick 08-09-2011 21:09

Ethanol gas is your problem. Rebuild your carb and try to get pure gas.

nautical62 09-09-2011 06:34

I second (or third) the ethanol comments.

One thing to keep in mind when considering remote controls is that the cable linkages are another thing you need to deal with when removing the motor of servicing, to take it home or remove it for storage.

Tbrad 09-09-2011 06:56

Try running a jug of Sea Foam thru it, I always add Stabil fuel additive to all my small engines. Ethanol......ya gotta hate it!

SayGudday 15-09-2011 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by szymek (Post 770748)
oh wow... i'm glad that i posted a question here. Maybe changing to that Honda is not the greatest idea.

Maybe I should just do some work on my old moter over the winter... so far it's been quite faithful... just few incidents and that sludge is starting to concern me.

Any other feedback on Honda's?? i'm starting to reconsider my decision.

I have a Nissan 9.9 2 stroke and have had it stall a few times exactly like you described but it's always been because I didn't let it warm up enough. When I warm her up, I never have an issue. Maybe it's the same thing with your existing motor? Just my 2 cents (Now only worth 1.75 cents with the devaluing dollar)

perchance 15-09-2011 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by szymek (Post 770713)
Hi Folks,

I currently have 1985 (I think) evinrude long shaft 2 stroke. Motor is running good most of the time. Sometimes dies on me when throteling down and it's hard to start sometimes right after. Happened few times already. Kind of scary when i'm coming into the marina.

I had it serviced and still the same thing. now also i'm getting quite a bit of sludge coming out of little hole at the bottom of the shaft. I believe they are to relieve back pressure - they seem to go just right through.

I'm considering picking up another outboard. I have my eye set on 2005 honda 9.9 4 stroke extra long shaft with electric start and cockpit control. It's going for $2000. what's your take on those motors? any good? What's the weight of those motors - i can't find specs for them.

i'm sort of on the fance... put some money into mine old motor or invest in the newer honda... ahhhhhhhh... decisions. :-)

What gas/oil mix are you using? The sludge you are seeing is unburned oil.

Check your plugs to see how the engine is running. These engines are virtually bomb proof and well worth spending a few bucks on providing they aren't totally worn out or corroded beyond redemption