Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   Watermaker Question (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/watermaker-question-66003.html)

Charlie 11-08-2011 17:38

Watermaker Question

I have a water maker that is made by village marine. The vessel where the membrane is kept is a propriatory(sp?) Village Marine product sized to fit only VM membranes at $500 a pop. Is it possible to switch out the vessel (is that the right term) for something else where I can use a generic membrane which I have found for uneder $200.

nigelmercier 19-08-2011 02:01

Re: Watermaker Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie (Post 749402)
The vessel where the membrane is kept is a propriatory(sp?)

I'm sure you could find a membrane to fit, but have you tried treating it?

BTW, it's "proprietary" :whistling:

goboatingnow 19-08-2011 03:49

I'd be very surprised that there is a proprietary membrane.

Dave

Vamonos 19-08-2011 04:34

I doubt that your membrane is proprietary.

Which model of Village Marine water maker do you have?

Richard

Tellie 19-08-2011 05:59

Actually VM has used proprietary 38" membranes in some of their units. This was not an uncommon practice when watermakers first became popular for smaller boats. But if you are fairly handy you can easily replace your existing membrane vessel for a standard 40" vessel that fits a SW2540 membrane. It's a fairly simple plumbing job. But if you buy a new membrane vessel along with some plumbing parts and the $200 membrane you found your intial costs will still be around $500-$600. But if you will be using this watermaker for several years it might be worth the cost if you go through several membranes in the future.

The Boat Galley 19-08-2011 06:14

Ours was an HRO, not a Village Marine, and they also had a proprietary membrane . . . and then went so far as to stop making them! We were able to replace the housing and membrane relatively easily -- my recollection is that it took about a half day. Much easier than many other projects we did! (No guarantees since yours is a different brand . . .)

Charlie 23-08-2011 16:20

Thaks for the info guys. I will look into this when it is time to replace my membrane

svcambria 23-08-2011 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tellie (Post 754348)
Actually VM has used proprietary 38" membranes in some of their units. This was not an uncommon practice when watermakers first became popular for smaller boats...

Might inquire at Applied Membranes if that size is no longer proprietary:

Membrane Elements

or go to the common 2.5 by 40 inch housing and membrane...

Michael