Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f71/)
-   -   Need Help to Plan a Trip from CapeTown to Australia (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f71/need-help-to-plan-a-trip-from-capetown-to-australia-62207.html)

Gayleeann 11-06-2011 06:07

Need Help to Plan a Trip from CapeTown to Australia

Hi I am looking for advice on the trip to Australia from Capetown South Africa.

(say- 4- 5 month trip) Island hoping and huggin the coast where possible. I understand have to be in Aussie before or after the wet season ,nov to april is that correct?
Need advice please.
Have you done this trip? How long did it take ? What is the best time to leave Capetown ?
What to see along the way? Where do you recomend stopping? Best places to see?
Is the weather a worry between S.A. AND AU.? that I need to worry about??
Any advice would be appricated.
Thank you
Gayleeann

VirtualVagabond 12-06-2011 06:44

Re: need help to plan a trip from CapeTown to Australia

You're going the 'uphill' direction.
It's doable, but hard work. If you're in a hurry, head for the high latitudes and suffer the roaring forties for a fast, rough ride to Aus.
If you've got a bit of time you'll have a far more enjoyable trip if you head to Brazil, Caribbean, Panama canal, and island hop the South Pacific to Aus.

swagman 15-06-2011 09:59

Re: Need Help to Plan a Trip from CapeTown to Australia

Yes if you wish to do it couter clockwise around the Indian Ocean rim, you'll find it hard work.
As Vagabond has suggested you've the better option of going west to S.America and then either up east of west S American coast before crossing the Pacific - or of course just heading east from South Africa and sailing direct to Perth in Western Australia. We had a pal who did that two up in a 24 footer, so it does not take a rocket ship or full race crew........
Enjoy the options - and the trip
JOHN

JFAfrica 24-06-2011 06:43

My input would be to go from Cape Town, to Durbin. Madagascar. Stop to situate gear and do adjustments, do a partial survey. Head up through the Mozambique Channel (but only with good charts!), up to the Seychelle Islands, to the Maldives, and then to Sri Lanka. From there head to the Eastern Coast of Indonesia, and down to Aussie.:thumb: It's counter clockwise, but who doesn't love a challenge! :popcorn:

Hey sorry about the skype conversation, quite frustrating I know. I live outside of the city and way outside of good cell range, so next time I get in town, I'll try you on skype. Maybe even video?! I know, try to stay calm. :cool: Let me know what you think.

Let me know how I can help, and I'm here.

Yacht.kwela 31-07-2011 12:27

Hi there
Did you get any other for the trip from Cape Town to Australia?
I will be sailing single handed and maybe maybe with a crew depending on a few things. I will be sailing in a 36 foot mono. you? what is your plan when do you plan to leave?
What boat are you on? interested to hear your plans. Im leaving December.
My Plan is to head South to 39 40 then hit a left and edge my way back up to late 30s keep in the westerly winds.
Thank you look forward to hearing form you
yacht.kwela (at) gmail

sailorladd 07-11-2012 08:34

Yes I agree, that's the best way, to go through the Atlantic, enjoy the Caribbean, through the Panama canal (take in the Galapagos) and on down through some of the Polynesian islands and then to Auss. I did it that way and all the details are in a book I wrote and would be happy to supply details if you want :) Good luck anyway.!!

Druttn 02-11-2015 10:44

Okay, so did we get any clear answeer on when it's best to leave Cape Town for Australia? :D

Wotname 02-11-2015 15:34

^^ dunno but after 3+ years, either the OP is still planning or has gone and done it :)

Welcome aboard CF Druttn!

sailorladd 02-11-2015 21:26

Hi Gayle Anne, I left along with a bunch of other cruisers from the Royal Cape Yacht club in February...en route for St. Helena. It seems the world's weather patterns are up in there lol, but as a rule of thumb, the beginning of summer is reasonable to assume the weather at (local) sea will behave... It is the late summer/autumn that hurricanes (in hurricane associated places) are to be considered and it is best to avoid these areas... I am sure you would want a copy of one of several books on times to cruise and when to avoid areas...

Not trying to promote any books here, but I have a book on amazon that describes the times and places I sailed, from Cape Town through the Caribbean, through Panama canal , the Galapagos islands, Hawaii, several south Pacific islands, and Australia as well as New Zealand and then against the trades back to Hawaii. I avoided hurricanes in the Caribbean and parts of the Pacific by finding a recognised, safe "hurricane hole" nand just hung out for 3 months! What a fun time! Take plenty of vittels and things to do!! :) Days of Deja vu...best of luck to you ! :)

Druttn 03-11-2015 01:09

Tank you Wotname!

It's Amazonfloden Joe hard it is to find an anser to this question on the internet!

How about Rio to Cape Town? Can you idé the same tradewinds egen they turn downwards?

GordMay 03-11-2015 04:57

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Druttn.