Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f71/)
-   -   Spare Parts (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f71/spare-parts-54931.html)

bluewaternut 14-02-2011 10:24

Spare Parts

Does anyone know where to find a good list of the spare parts one should carry? Obvious are nav light bulbs and bilge/freshwater/wastewater pumps, hose clamps, alternator belt, impellers and fuel filters...but what about not-so-obvious things?

Lowcountry 15-02-2011 09:24

Fuses, various nuts/bolts/screws/zipties/bungees, batteries, refrigerator coolant, coolant hoses, various shackles, spares for dinghy motor, etc. I do not recall seeing a published list anywhere suggesting what to carry, but think of all the systems on your boat and how they might possibly fail, and then bring what would be required to "fix" them.

bluewaternut 15-02-2011 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowcountry (Post 619993)
Fuses, various nuts/bolts/screws/zipties/bungees, batteries, refrigerator coolant, coolant hoses, various shackles, spares for dinghy motor, etc. I do not recall seeing a published list anywhere suggesting what to carry, but think of all the systems on your boat and how they might possibly fail, and then bring what would be required to "fix" them.

Thanks, Lowcountry.

barnakiel 15-02-2011 12:17

Most instructive books on cruising have such lists.

But do not follow a list and buy loads of things that you do not know how to use.

Also, consider how far from a chandlery you will be. If you can call the shop, they will deliver the exact thing.

If going far away and for long time, probably take whatever you can repace yourself, then whatever can likely break (even if you will have to use a hired gun to fix it) and then LOADS of everything - also pieces of wood, plywood, plastic wood, steel, alloy, resin, glass, sika, gasket materials, paints, tapes, dacron ....... etc.. And a super duper set of tools x 2 on top of it.

b.

knottygurl 17-02-2011 11:36

1 Attachment(s)
Consider two spare bulbs for each type of lighting int/ext, stove repair kit, tune up for engine, impellers X2 ( i screwed the first one accidently) so the second spare was a godsend. Resin and fillers for sure, spare stantion/stay, spare halyard, spare snubber, wash cloths, a reaally good first aid kit spare pills, crusing book, echarts, solar battery charger for handheald, flashlights x 4, tool box with every tool needed to turn a bold or screw on your boat ( some will need doubles) patch kit for dinghy, plugs, shims, tape, duct tape, glass sheets, glass tape, sail tape, sail thread, whipping line, rope dope for ends, spare roll of every sise wire on board with approiate fuses x2, spare fuel cans, spare bilge pump and float, spare line for what ever, a 10x14 tarp.
also what has already been mentioned and what will be added.
you almost have to be your own boatyard, some will help with what you are missing some do not have it but will help with labour, be prepared to give and get along the way.

also attached is a provisioning sheet Created by Carolyn Shearlock and I used this as a base to form my own list, you may want to have a look

barnakiel 17-02-2011 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by knottygurl (Post 621658)
(...)
you almost have to be your own boatyard,
(...)

Love this statement!

Makes me think of Bobby McFerrin's song 'I am my own walkman' ;-)))

"I am my own boatyard, tutut, turutu, tuturu, tuduru, I am my own boatyard!"

Or else, very deep pockets.

barnie

knottygurl 17-02-2011 17:02

it has been my experience, that the part i needed is at the store, it always 4:55 pm and the chandlery closes at 5 SHARP, tommorrow is sunday closed again.:banghead:
now for the most part i can wait out the day, but when ya gotta go.......
neighbours can help but only if there in a good mood and they want to part with the magic thingamajig...:popcorn: so yes sometimes you need to be a boatyard.
Also what is a walkman ? and don't say you still have a few Lp's and 45's laying around in the back of the garage. :devil:

Bill