Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   Inflatable Dinghy (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/inflatable-dinghy-52741.html)

gulfstar37 09-01-2011 09:35

Inflatable Dinghy

Don't want to start a war but we're in the market for a new inflatable dinghy. We're thinking of something 10 foot or less with possiable RIB bottom. Walker Bay seemed to have a good one (although expensive) but I have noticed Defender has dropped them and West only offers the hard dinghy.

Go ahead lets have your thoughts

s/v Moondancer 09-01-2011 11:20

Walker Bay inflatables have not stood the test of hard wear and the sun in the Caribbean. They have a history of transom separation, but to their credit the company was very honorable when we had two genesis dinghies fail.

97fxdwg 09-01-2011 11:33

I just bought an AB 10VS in St Martin. So far, so good!

AB inflatables - Models

bljones 09-01-2011 11:41

I have been happy with the inflatable I bought here:

Inflatable Boats - By Rubber Duck Inflatable Boats Canada - Buy direct and Save!

lorenzo b 09-01-2011 12:54

I got a West Marine 350 RIB and like it. I think they sell them at cost just to have their name on them. Get Hypalon in the tropics.

MarkJ 09-01-2011 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97fxdwg (Post 593827)
I just bought an AB 10VS in St Martin. So far, so good!

Thats Upmanship!

I just bought a 9VL in St Martin. Bet mine goes faster than yours ;)

Whatchagotaonthebackofit??????????????????????

Mark

Curmudgeon 12-01-2011 17:23

Get an Avon. They're more expensive but worth it.

Ziggy 12-01-2011 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon (Post 595938)
Get an Avon. They're more expensive but worth it.

Used to be so, but since Avon was acquired by Zodiac, their quality has dropped. For example, not all of their seams are taped, some are overlapped. The rubrail on my avon is separating from the hull. They give you a loughably small scrap of fabric that's supposed to serve as the bag for storing the dink deflated. Just nits, really, but I don't think it will last for 20 years the way the old ones did. They do have the largest diameter tubes on the market, which helps to keep your butt dry in choppy water.

I would consider Achilles if I were in the market now.

phantomracer 12-01-2011 19:17

I love my Avon Redcrest. Being a soft transom, it folds small and I am able to store it in the cockpit locker with room to spare. Keeps the deck clear and don't have to tow it.

Not a RIB, but still a durable unit. Mine is a 1978 model with no patches in the tubes (few on the floor, none on the tubes).

Minggat 12-01-2011 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy (Post 595959)
Used to be so, but since Avon was acquired by Zodiac, their quality has dropped. For example, not all of their seams are taped, some are overlapped. The rubrail on my avon is separating from the hull. They give you a loughably small scrap of fabric that's supposed to serve as the bag for storing the dink deflated. Just nits, really, but I don't think it will last for 20 years the way the old ones did. They do have the largest diameter tubes on the market, which helps to keep your butt dry in choppy water.

I would consider Achilles if I were in the market now.

Avon did experience some dip in quality when they were first aquired by Zodiac. I think/hope they have gotten past it pretty much by now.

That rub rail coming off was a common problem. I had one of them and have seen others with it. But the key word there is WAS.

I'm still looking at their RIB lite with the folding transom. Light weight, small package when put away.

Achilles now also has a RIB LITE version. I don't think the transom folds.

I agree. Achilles is top quality

beau 12-01-2011 21:28

I hate inflatables, and will not have another one, ever.
They go flat, they leak, they get holes in them, they are far too expensive, and they get stolen.

I currently have a fiberglass dingy that looks like an inflatable, it is a bit heavy but not too bad and is very safe.
Plus you can always put on a bit more polyester resin and glass if you need to repair it.

Otherwise a small aluminium dingy (punt) with "foam floaties all around the perimeter" for stability if it does fill with water.

gcaptain 12-01-2011 22:49

A small point about the walker bay's. They have removable floor boards which keep your feet nice and dry. I know it's not much but isn't it the small convienances that make cruising enjoyable?