Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Atlantic & the Caribbean (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Beaufort, NC to Charleston, SC (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/beaufort-nc-to-charleston-sc-49432.html)

lorenzo b 02-11-2010 07:54

Beaufort, NC to Charleston, SC
 
Anyone else sitting in Beaufort waiting for the wind to die down? We are looking at the buoys and it's rough out there. How bad is it getting into Masonboro Inlet?

AnchorageGuy 02-11-2010 09:23

lorenzo, Masonboro is pretty straightforward under normal circumstances, but any of these inlets can be downright dangerous under the wrong conditions. Especially watch out for stronger southeasterly winds, they can make the inlet very tricky. Just pay attention to the markers once inside and resist the temptation to turn to starboard and enter the ICW at Motts Channel with your boat. Instead, go straight in from the inlet to the ICW channel. Chuck

AnchorageGuy 02-11-2010 09:32

Also FYI, you will probably already be through there by then, but I just posted these two alerts today in case you are delayed.......

NC – Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway – Myrtle Grove Sound – Banks Channel

1. Mariners are advised that the Coast Guard will establish a temporary safety zone for the Beach to Battleship Ironman Triathlon on Saturday, November 13, 2010 from 7 A.M. To 11 A.M. Approximately 1500 swimmers will compete along a course starting at Masonboro Inlet Runner across Banks Channel and Motts Channel to the Sea Path Marina. Vessel may not enter the restricted areas. Coast Guard Patrol assets will be on scene to regulate traffic in this area during the event times.

2. To accommodate the Beach to Battleship Ironman Triathlon scheduled for Saturday, November 13, 2010. Mariners are advised that the S.R. 74 Bridge across the AIWW, mile 283.1, in Wrightsville Beach, NC will remain in the closed position from 7 A.M. To 11 A.M. Mariners able to pass under the closed span (20 feet Mean High Water) may do so, others should adjust their transits accordingly. For any comments or questions, contact the Marine Event Coordinator at Coast Guard Sector North Carolina, (252) 247-4528, or at NCMarineEvents@uscg.mil


NC – AICW – WRIGHTSVILLE BCH – MOTTS CHANNEL

Mariners are advised that the North Carolina Holiday Flotilla and fireworks display will take place on Motts Channel, at Wrightsville Beach, NC from 6:00 p.m. To 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 27, 2010. The flotilla will include approximately 40 vessels ranging from 10-58 feet in length. The flotilla will begin at the AICW proceed to Motts Channel and Banks Channel to Coast Guard Station Wrightsville Beach and return to AICW. The fireworks display will follow the flotilla. A safety zone will be in effect on all waters of Motts Channel within a 300 yard radius of approximate position 3412'19" N, 07748'16" W, approximately 600 yards south of Sea Path Marina, Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina during the fireworks display. This safety zone will be enforced from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and is necessary to control vessel traffic for safety of life and property on navigable waters during the event. Vessel traffic will be restricted on this portion of Motts Channel. The fireworks will be launched from shore with signs labeled “DANGER FIREWORKS STAY AWAY”. Vessels may not enter, remain in, or transit through the safety zone during the enforcement period unless authorized by the Coast Guard Captain of the Port or designated Coast Guard patrol personnel on scene. All persons and vessels shall comply with the instructions of the Captain of the Port or the designated on scene patrol personnel, and upon being hailed by siren, radio, flashing light or other means, the operator of the vessel shall proceed as directed. For comments or questions, contact the marine event coordinator at Coast Guard Sector North Carolina, (252) 247-4525, or at NCMarineEvents@uscg.mil

ActiveCaptain 02-11-2010 19:24

We're currently in Belhaven making an inside/outside analysis. We'd like to get to Charleston and will do a direct Beaufort-to-Charleston overnight run if the weather behaves. It currently doesn't look like there's any chance of good weather before the weekend. And that tropical storm moving in the Caribbean will surely mess up the end of next week. There's only late weekend/early week as far as I can see for any chance of calm seas.

I'm leaning toward waiting until the end of the weekend for good weather and going outside. If bad weather continues though, we might venture inside over 4-5 days to Charleston.

SydneyTim 03-11-2010 14:27

Came out of Masonboro on Friday last in 25-33 out of north, inlet was quiet as can be. As long as wind isn't blowing into the inlet on an outgoing tide it should be fine, and if it's blowing into the inlet it's probably not great day to head to Charleston anyway!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:26.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.