Cruisers & Sailing Forums (
-   Cruising News & Events (
-   -   2010 Caribbean 1500 Rally (

s/v Sunsets 12-10-2010 14:18

2010 Caribbean 1500 Rally
Hello Cruisers,

Anyone besides Sunsets going on this rally from Hampton VA to the BVIs? If so, let's use this forum to keep in touch and share good ideas and relevent news with each other.

What do you think?

Joli 12-10-2010 15:42

Looks like a nice fleet. Have fun!

KestrelBuck 12-10-2010 15:55

In the mid-1990s I crewed on a boat for the return trip; then known as the Pusser's Rum Cup. It was a great trip.

Wish I was participating this year.

Have fun!

speciald@ocens. 12-10-2010 16:05

As of last Friday - 78 boats were registered. Steve had a few more boats still considering the trip. The most ever was 80.

We are going and will arrive in Hampton on the 29th. Our boat is Special Delivery, a 58 Taswell AS. This will be our 7th trip. We have found that getting frozen meals from CostCo is the easiest way to provision as everything can be prepared in the microwave.

s/v Sunsets 13-10-2010 14:08

If anyone is interested in crewing on the Carib1500, you can probably still sign up. If we have any sort of a weather delay, people will lose crew and will need replacements. Get more info a

As far as Special Delivery's suggestion for frozen Costco meals-- Good Idea! Especially some small single meals that someone could heat up in between the planned meals or if they didn't care for tonight's dinner.

Jerry 25-10-2010 06:04

I will be crewing aboard the "Lucky Dancer". Look forward to meeting you all.

speciald@ocens. 25-10-2010 06:32

Ther are now 83 boats in the fleet - a record number. We go down the Bay Thursday to Hampton. Every slip in Hampton - City, Yacht Club, Bluewater is taken. As of now the weather forcast looks good for a Monday start.

xxuxx 31-10-2010 06:12

Weather delay due to unknown path of the hurricane down south. More to follow.

Hud3 31-10-2010 06:28

1 Attachment(s)
I figure it might be a delay of several days.

The NHC is expecting Tomas to be turned to the north in about five days by an approaching trough. Some of the models suggest it may happen a little sooner, but until the storm is out in the Atlantic safely north and east of the rally's route and heading away, I'm betting that Steve Black will keep the fleet in port.

xxuxx 01-11-2010 06:41

:thumb:Right on the money Hud! Steve is now looking for a Friday AM departure but we will know more on Thursdays' 9 AM skippers meeting.

speciald@ocens. 01-11-2010 06:49

Doubt a Friday start. Depends on how fast the low clears the coast. Right now the slower boats will get hammered with 14 ft seas and 30kts on the stern after the stream.

phboujon 02-11-2010 08:41

I just read the bahamas class started, heading around Cape Hatteras, toward Charleston, SC. I thought it was a bag idea to round the Cape when winds are against the gulf stream? So are those boat going down hugging the coast, staying away from the gulf stream and not even crossing it? I can't seem to open the tracker application to check.

Just curious, as I'd like to participate in the event next year, and am curious how that passage.


cfarrar 02-11-2010 09:08

Yes, the trackers are working. Try this page:


GordMay 02-11-2010 09:48

Bahamas Classes 8 (Rally) & 9 (Cruising) Track:

Hud3 05-11-2010 05:58

Another delay for the BVI fleet
1 Attachment(s)
Looks like the departure date for the fleet going to Tortola has been postponed until this coming Monday, as a tentative start date.

The Bahamas rally boats are all now in Charleston, with one exception.

All are waiting to see what Tomas will do.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:49.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.