Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Propellers & Drive Systems (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f114/)
-   -   Can You Determine Correct Packing Drip-Rate at Low / Idle rpms ? (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f114/can-you-determine-correct-packing-drip-rate-at-low-idle-rpms-47394.html)

sgtPluck 24-09-2010 17:57

Can You Determine Correct Packing Drip-Rate at Low / Idle rpms ?

While toubleshooting fuel filter issues the other day, I noticed that I didn't see any drips coming from my packing gland (recently installed.) I was distracted at the time and didn't monitor it.
My question is, can I reliably check that it is dripping the correct amount/not overheating while in idle forward and tied to the dock? Or does it require some higher revs on the shaft to determine if it is dripping correctly. I'd rather make any adjustments while still here than in a seaway - it's a tricky spot to get into.

Cheers,
-s

capngeo 24-09-2010 18:23

I always went with 1 drip/second with new packing. Once broken in, you can tighten it up to 1/5 seconds. Fast shaft speeds will tend to sling the water and make it hard to count. No drips at all is too tight for new packing, back it off a bit. Modern packing is more heat tolerant than old flax or oakum, but can still ruin a shaft if too tight.

capt_douglas 25-09-2010 09:03

I've gone with the 1 drop every 2-5 seconds. I found that too short a time between drops causes the salt water to sling inside the engine compartment and I don't want to install a splash shield.

As the packing sets you're going to have to adjust the packing but it seemed to settle down after a while. The biggest problem is packing the stuffing too tight and overheating the packing.

Aside from the occasional look at the stuffing box I listen to the bilge pump. When it starts going off a bit more often than I'm used to, I check the packing drip. After a long power run I'll check the temp of the packing gland to make sure it's nice and cool.

highseas 25-09-2010 09:39

After adjusting I carefully put my finger on packing assembly after running at cruising speed for an hour and make sure it is still cool to touch.

TheThunderbird 10-01-2015 22:10

Re: Can You Determine Correct Packing Drip-Rate at Low / Idle rpms ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by highseas (Post 527883)
After adjusting I carefully put my finger on packing assembly after running at cruising speed for an hour and make sure it is still cool to touch.

Fingers are the best tool ever:smile:

Jim Cate 10-01-2015 22:33

Re: Can You Determine Correct Packing Drip-Rate at Low / Idle rpms ?

It also depends somewhat upon what sort of packing you used. We found that with the Teflon impregnated stuff one could safely run a much tighter setting (no drips sitting) with no ill effects. Can't do that with traditional flax packing.

Jim