Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Irwin 52' Video . . . You Gotta See this (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/irwin-52-video-you-gotta-see-this-47047.html)

CalebD 17-09-2010 20:24

Irwin 52' Video . . . You Gotta See this

To believe it.
YouTube - The Oceanaire, a Custom Irwin Sailing Yacht
The cabin is more like an art gallery then a functional yacht or sailboat.
Any guesses on how often they untie their dock lines?

Stillraining 17-09-2010 20:31

Looks like JamesS..Delmerry and Bob kingsland were set loose on a boat with an open check book..:p

Mine next guys!........................Oh Im going to need a loan though...:D

Ex-Calif 17-09-2010 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 523557)
Any guesses on how often they untie their dock lines?

Weekly.

They get to the end of the marina, run out of battery power and have to go back and plug in.

Prolly a good example of a boat where it is safer on deck in a gale than down below...

hummingway 17-09-2010 20:56

Ok, first you rip out all the tvs. What is up with that? And the knick-knacks got to go. But the espresso maker stays. I like the furling mainsail. I haven't seen one external to the mast before.

waterworldly 20-09-2010 07:09

Lets set the record staight. Ex-Calif, a 18KW generator takes care of things at anchor. Underway we go the distance, from NYC to Exumas, anchoring out most of the time. Generator runs every two days for about 3 hours, not bad, eh? Why rip out the TVs? Almost EVERYTHING is bolted/glued. What isn't takes about 15 minutes to stow. Why not be comfortable? It ain't camping, its home.

Stillraining 20-09-2010 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterworldly (Post 524840)
Lets set the record staight. Ex-Calif, a 18KW generator takes care of things at anchor. Underway we go the distance, from NYC to Exumas. Why get rid of the TV's when you have a dish? Almost EVERYTHING is bolted/glued. What isn't takes about 15 minutes to stow. Why not be comfortable? It ain't camping, its home.

Waterworldly:

If that 52 is yours..it is absolutely stunning what you have done to her....The wood finish is mind boggling as to how you even got it that way....let alone maintain it.

I tip my hat to you sir..:thumb:

waterworldly 20-09-2010 07:33

Many thanks for the kind words. It is ours. The finish was done over a three month period, many coats on mahogany, high gloss.

captain465 20-09-2010 08:10

Very nice boat Waterworldly.........Puts my Irwin 38 to shame.
Where do you keep her??

hummingway 20-09-2010 08:24

Quote:

Lets set the record staight. Ex-Calif, a 18KW generator takes care of things at anchor. Underway we go the distance, from NYC to Exumas, anchoring out most of the time. Generator runs every two days for about 3 hours, not bad, eh? Why rip out the TVs? Almost EVERYTHING is bolted/glued. What isn't takes about 15 minutes to stow. Why not be comfortable? It ain't camping, its home.

I don't have a tv at home let alone on my boat. Can't stand the things. You are actually able to sail with all those ornaments out like that?

svHyLyte 20-09-2010 09:54

Quote:

She appears to be a lovely yacht but, frankly, given how long it takes me to sea-stow all of my wife's "stuff" (on a 42' boat with far, far less than appears in the video) I find the idea of getting the yacht ready for sea in 15 minutes a bit of a stretch, no?

N'any case, still a lovely looking yacht. Different ships, different long splices, eh?

shadow 20-09-2010 12:16

Hi hope they have a huge shop vac, because as soon as they heel, all that "stuff" will be on the floor in broken pieces. It just seems that they had a catalog and said, "yes, everything in here, I want!!"

At least from the outside, the yacht really seemed average looking, which is cool as it would be a nice surprise when you went below.. Nice vid, thanks for sharing!!

Stillraining 20-09-2010 12:29

I see you took out all the original Irwin overhead lighting ...What lighting units did you go with and can you provide a link?

I need to redo the ones in our aft cabin and over the nav station...I like what you did...However you must have redone the overhead as well which I do not want to do so I would need to build trim pieces to house say two lights in each unit to cover the existing holes in the head liner .

Thanks in advance.

Again..beautiful workman ship man!...mine dosent come even close.

markpierce 20-09-2010 12:57

Nice! It certainly has a homey, comfy, feminine-inspired interior. I didn't see the maid's quarters, however.

Surely, most of us are a little bit jealous.

markpierce 20-09-2010 13:08

Quote:

... Underway we go the distance, from NYC to Exumas, anchoring out most of the time. ...

Wave for me when you go by Nicolas Cage's private island.

By the way, do you happen to own an island there too?

shadow 20-09-2010 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterworldly (Post 524859)
Many thanks for the kind words. It is ours. The finish was done over a three month period, many coats on mahogany, high gloss.

Aside from all of your desired items, it really is a well done, gorgeous yacht inside!! Well done and I really appreciate you keeping it "real" on the outside, so no one is the wiser about the palace that sits inside!!