Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Pearson 31 - Inboard or Outboard ? (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/pearson-31-inboard-or-outboard-44364.html)

outdoorsman37 28-07-2010 23:44

Pearson 31 - Inboard or Outboard ?

I just bought a Pearson 31 that had the inboard pulled out. Should I put an inboard in or put a transom bracket on and use an outboard? If inboard, what engine is recommended? i think the yanmar 2gm, 2gmf, 2gm20f, or 3gm20f will work? anything else? don't know much so any info will help!

Thanks!

Rob

marc2012 29-07-2010 04:11

If you buy an inboard look at the parts that will likely need changing.Now picture you and the motor under the kitchen table with a sheet over the table.If all those items are easily removed good.marc

hellosailor 29-07-2010 13:59

Inboard, Rob. If the boat could handle properly with an outboard, it would have been an option when they sold them. There's a reason they didn't offer it with an outboard.

As to which engine...find out what it was sold with, then find out what is about the same size and power, preferably something that can mount up to the same motor mounts or engine bed size. You may be in for a shock on prices.

outdoorsman37 29-07-2010 16:00

yes they are expensive. geez. i am looking for a yanmar 2GM20F, 3GM30F, 3YM20, or 3YM30. any idea where to find a used one? thanks!

Drew13440 29-07-2010 16:20

I wouldn't discount your idea about the outboard, especially if money is an issue, and for me, it's always an issue. Your plans for your new boat are part of the equation as well. Are you sailing in and out of a marina, or going around the world?

The problem with outboards is that the prop will come out of the water in any kind of swell or chop. You will also need to be able to reach it from the cockpit. It would certainly serve you getting in and out of marina, for a small fraction of what it will cost for an inboard.

eyschulman 29-07-2010 17:45

I don't know where you are located but here in Seattle my son in law has a extra-extra long shaft tahatsu 9.8 for sale not used much(2 cycle) was on a six meter. and is on consignment at ballard inflatable boats-the prop on this rig is more likly to stay in water and it has a pusher prop for heavy boat( six meter 10000 lb). This rig would save you a bundle even with shipping.

SkiprJohn 29-07-2010 23:07

Yes, go with inboard. Hopefully the shaft and prop are still there somewhere or at least the prior owner didn't plug the shaft tube?
Shop around for any diesel that runs good. A small two cylinder can be pretty easy to repair but parts are hard to come by for some engines. Ask around.
EBay, craigslist, marine mechanics can get you started in the right direction.
regards,