Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   The Library (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f127/)
-   -   Non-Fiction Sailing Books (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f127/non-fiction-sailing-books-43448.html)

futurecruiser 10-07-2010 03:15

Non-Fiction Sailing Books

Can anyone recommend a narrative non-fiction book about sailing around the world that encompasses adventure, things that happened on the trip, people met along the way and some everything else interesting about sailing? Thanks a lot.

Tempest245 10-07-2010 04:08

The classic must read book would be " Sailing Alone Around the World" by Joshua Slocum. Then Tania Aebi's " Maiden Voyage" would fit your criteria, to name only two.

Ziggy 10-07-2010 04:36

this may be out of print, but a good yarn: Amazon.com: Gentlemen Never Sail to Weather: A Story of an Accidental Odyssey (9780962882814): Denton R. Moore: Books

SaucySailoress 10-07-2010 05:10

Sell Up and Sail: Taking the Ulysses Option: Amazon.co.uk: Bill Cooper, Laurel Cooper: Books

Bill and Laurel's Sell up and Sail is the best book ever - and I'm not limiting that to just sailing books! They take it in turns to write chapters about their own rea of expertise, and is funny, inspirational and informative.

Doodles 10-07-2010 05:56

Too many to list, but another classic would be "Dove" by Robin Lee Graham.

Don1500 11-07-2010 11:18

A prequel to Slocum's "Sailing Alone Around The World" Is "The Voyage Of The Liberdade" both of these books are fairly short (less than 150 pages) but packed with what sailing was like in the late 1800's. They also give insight into the terms of sailing and a little of the history of the Tall Ships era. Also both are available free on the internet (If you can navigate the waters.)

Of course for pure Tall Ships era FICTION there is "Two Years Before The Mast".
In the 1800's adventure column you might also try "Through The Air To The North Pole", I read this as a kid and it was one of my favorite books. I don't remember the author and I have never seen it in a library, but if you find it it is a gem. NOTE: Boy am I a dummy, should have done a search in the first place. I Found "Through The Air To The North Pole" by Roy Rockwell at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14665

Jim Cate 11-07-2010 17:45

Ann here, NOT Jim...

Futurecruiser, GO TO THE PUBLIC LIBRARY, pick and choose, there's a whole section!

For a recommendation, possibly, Around The World Alone, by Alan Nebauer for modern, and Captain James Cook's Journal, of his voyages of exploration, obviously, relating to the late 1700,s.

Ann Cate

Adelie 11-07-2010 17:55

If you don't mind reading more than one book to get the whole cruise

Cruising in Seraffyn
Seraffyn's European Adventure
Seraffyn's Mediteranean Adventure
Seraffyn's Oriental Adventure

by Lin & Larry Pardey cover a full circumnavigation over 9 or so years.

Jim Cate 12-07-2010 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cate (Post 483865)
Ann here, NOT Jim...

Futurecruiser, GO TO THE PUBLIC LIBRARY, pick and choose, there's a whole section!

For a recommendation, possibly, Around The World Alone, by Alan Nebauer for modern, and Captain James Cook's Journal, of his voyages of exploration, obviously, relating to the late 1700,s.

Ann Cate

Late edit: Alan's book is called "Against All Odds". Sorry 'bout that.

sneuman 12-07-2010 07:35

Not an entirely successful voyage, but Richard Maury's The Saga of Cimba is one of the best-written and fascinating of the ones I've read (which include most mentioned above).

Slocum, of course, is a classic.

SaucySailoress 14-07-2010 08:16

I just read A World of My Own - Robin Knox-Johnstone's account of his solo round the world.... It was a fascinating read!!!

rebel heart 14-07-2010 09:12

I read a lot of this genre, so I'll rattle off some that I've read (all on my Kindle, by the way, which is absolutely the best technological investment I've made on the boat):

Amazon.com: Two Years Before the Mast: A Personal Narrative…
Amazon.com: The Bounty : The True Story of the Mutiny on the Bounty: Caroline Alexander: Books (much better than the other versions, this is based in truth)
Amazon.com: Innocents at Sea: The Sailing Misadventures of Two at…
Amazon.com: Diary of a Sea Captains Wife: Tales of Santa Cruz Island…

sneuman 14-07-2010 09:15

doesn't exactly fit your description (about stops along the way), but Voyage for Madmen (about 1968 round-the-world race with Knox-Johnston, Motessier, Crowhurst, etc.) is excellent, as is Godforsaken Sea (about Vendee Globe) by Derek Lundy.

barnakiel 14-07-2010 09:59

Well, if you want 'adventure' then you can't ask for 'non-fiction'.

Its all hard work, mate. The adventure is a fiction ;-)

b.

JayH 14-07-2010 10:49

My family's all-time favorite is The Voyage of the Northern Magic: A Family Odyssey. It's out of print, but you can still get it used at places like Amazon. We own two copies so we can keep one and loan the other. I don't want to risk reprinting what's on the back cover here, but you should go read it at Amazon (link).