Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Navigation (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Which Plotter ? (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f121/which-plotter-38684.html)

b-rad 01-04-2010 21:42

Which Plotter ?

Looking to replace my current plotter becasue it is getting old. My budget it about 1000
Currently using a garmin 178c with a sounder box. (gms 21 I think)
I like the 178 alot, but after playing with all the plotters at west marine and bass pro I wasnt impressed with the 441 or 521. I was equally impressed with the 546 and the lowrance hds 5.
So the garmin 546 I can use my exsisting thru hull transducer.
The lowrance I would need a new ducer . Functioality seems to similar maybe in the garmins favor but the display is in the lowrance favor.
So searching for the best prices I came across this
Garmin GPSMAP 3205 GPS
the 3205, I can use my current sounder module and ducer and get a g2 blue chip and still be under budget.

Whats every bodys opinions.

MarkJ 01-04-2010 22:59

I was thinking of having a look at the Standard Horizon ones because they use the CMap chips that I have already.
It would be upgrading from a Navman.

But I don't know what they are like....

Stillraining 02-04-2010 00:15

My Opinion?

I envy your young eyes...Im afraid Im destined for a 12" screen minimum or their just about useless to me....its expencive getting old...:(

roverhi 02-04-2010 01:23

The 3205 has all the US charts in memory. You would only have to buy chips if you want to go outside the US. The 3205 uses the proprietary Garmin chips that may be a problem getting in the future. This is just speculation on my part but it's been 3 years since Garmin has made a plotter that uses their proprietary chip. Then again, there may be some good deals on these chips on the used market. They've now gone to the generic SD memory cards which, generic, don't rely on Garmin for supply or reader/writers.

I own a 3206 and doubt that I'll get out beyond the internal charts and the non US chips that I already have. One thing I did discover is the 3206 only has the US charts. The SoCal/Mexico chip necessary for the pre 32XX series covers the US south of Monterey but also includes Mexico down to Acapulco. The 32XX series only includes the US charts as standard not Mexico so you still have to buy the SoCal/Mexico chip with the 32XX and above if your going to Baja or further south..

Pete7 02-04-2010 02:21

This question popped up a couple of weeks ago, so might be worth having a search. We have the Garmin 555s (Euro verison of the 5xx series) and it's excellent and takes AIS too. Sounder gives good clear definition.

Internal ariel means one less cable to go wrong and widget to fit. We also have a Raymarine C80 fitted (off a previous boat). I prefer the little Garmin.

Pete

daddle 02-04-2010 02:47

1 Attachment(s)
iPhone ... it is the coolest chartplotter. And the most features for the Ringgit. Can your expensive Garmin do this? Prevent dehydration?

AnchorageGuy 02-04-2010 07:43

We have been using the Standard Horizon Plotters for years and really like them, and we prefer the C-Map chips. You get the best bang for your buck and they are dependable and operator friendly as far as we are concerned. Having said that, if you plan to eventually do a system wide upgrade then you will want electronics that are N2K compatible.

careka 16-04-2010 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waterwayguy (Post 429646)
We have been using the Standard Horizon Plotters for years and really like them, and we prefer the C-Map chips. You get the best bang for your buck and they are dependable and operator friendly as far as we are concerned. Having said that, if you plan to eventually do a system wide upgrade then you will want electronics that are N2K compatible.

And they are also made by C-map, in italy.
C-map makes many chartplotters , its only different shells on the otside.