Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing Systems and Fixtures (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   U-Tube in Head (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/u-tube-in-head-38259.html)

ianjory 24-03-2010 14:15

U-Tube in Head

I ahve an 86 Hunter 32, and need to install a U tube above the waterline for my head. Right now I have a holding tank, with a pump out and sea disposal option. Anyone help me on where to put it?

Sailmonkey 24-03-2010 14:35

If you don't pump directly overboard you don't need a vented loop on the discharge, if the head is below the water line, a vented loop between the handpump and the bowl is the ticket.

sabray 24-03-2010 15:09

Sombody is going to tell me this is tell me this is really bad. I dump directly to the holding tank. I can pump directly from holding tank overboard. No vented loop no y valve. Simple, works but you better close that valve. So offshore holding is full turn on pump open valve run..... Close valve turn off pump. Okay yell now it works for me.

Sailmonkey 24-03-2010 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabray (Post 423992)
Sombody is going to tell me this is tell me this is really bad. I dump directly to the holding tank. I can pump directly from holding tank overboard. No vented loop no y valve. Simple, works but you better close that valve. So offshore holding is full turn on pump open valve run..... Close valve turn off pump. Okay yell now it works for me.

I do the same, but without the pump, our tank is above the waterline and when I open the valve it dumps. So in effect the whole tank acts like a vented loop while discharging directly overboard:thumb:

Christian Van H 24-03-2010 16:58

And here I thought you were installing a screen to watch YouTube in your head...sounded like a great idea to me! :D The device is a siphon break or an anti-siphon vent...also known as a vented loop.

See here: http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/13.htm

James S 25-03-2010 01:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Van H (Post 424031)
And here I thought you were installing a screen to watch YouTube in your head...sounded like a great idea to me! :D The device is a siphon break or an anti-siphon vent...also known as a vented loop.

See here: Installing a Head by Don Casey

I thought it was going to be a camera.

I hate conventional vented loops...your boat not sinking may depend on this vent working....and they aren't generally that high of quality.
Any configuration that eliminates them is IMHO better.

ianjory 26-03-2010 09:56

So are you saying dont put one in? Surely if you keep cjhecking the valve, you should be ok, no?

daddle 26-03-2010 10:31

You don't really need a vented loop if the rim of the fixture is above the waterline at all angles of heel. This is somewhat rare.

delmarrey 26-03-2010 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddle (Post 426209)
.....fixture is above the waterline at all angles of heel. This is somewhat rare.

........on sailboats. Which side is it on, P/S?

On Powerboats they can be at deck level. ;)

James S 26-03-2010 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianjory (Post 426197)
So are you saying dont put one in? Surely if you keep cjhecking the valve, you should be ok, no?

What I'm saying is if you can design your system so you donít need them you may be further ahead.
I donít have a single vented loop on my boat.
My toilets flush water comes from a dedicated tank that can be filled with fresh of salt water.
The toilets and all other showers and sinks drain directly into holding tanks.
Even my engines exhaust has no vented loop...the riser is dry for about a meter high and the water injected on the down side....the high point is by far the highest point in the system.
Of coarse not every one has the possibility of setting their boat up like this....instead if a typical one way vent...IMO a better choice is a small tube coming from the top of the loop and continuing up as high as possible then turning and going into the bilge of some other containment vessel like a plastic bottle of the like.
If this is not practical the yes,,,checking and cleaning them often is the last option.