Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing Systems and Fixtures (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Standard Head Plumbing Seems Small (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/standard-head-plumbing-seems-small-38135.html)

dubhouse 22-03-2010 12:01

Standard Head Plumbing Seems Small

Is it just me or does it seem like the plumbing used for heads is really small. I forsee this as a problem because I routinely make large no. 2's that my home plumbing can barely handle. I can't imagine trying to pump a giant log through that tiny little hole in the head and then through 1.5 inch hose all around the boat. Thoughts anyone ? I know I can't be the only one capable of large movements. Thanks

-tavis

sailvayu 22-03-2010 13:27

Ok are you just really full of......well you know, or do your really want to know?

Fair winds

nautical62 22-03-2010 13:40

The difference is your home plumbing tries to swallow it whole relying only on gravity. where the marine head pump macerates it to a degree first and it is pumped, not just flowing with gravity.

The systems are more prone to clogs, etc. however. Enjoy.

swagman 22-03-2010 13:58

True

:whistling: There are obviously some big a**holes and smaller ones. Sounds like from what you say you'll be in the first grouping, and if so not sure what advice we can give.
If you are one of the second group then accept my apologies and read the maceration response above.
Enjoy
JOHN

Steve W 22-03-2010 14:03

never a dull moment here.

sailorboy1 22-03-2010 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubhouse (Post 422806)
Is it just me or does it seem like the plumbing used for heads is really small. I forsee this as a problem because I routinely make large no. 2's that my home plumbing can barely handle. I can't imagine trying to pump a giant log through that tiny little hole in the head and then through 1.5 inch hose all around the boat. Thoughts anyone ? I know I can't be the only one capable of large movements. Thanks

-tavis

I acturally feel it is a fair question. I used to design sewer pumping stations and one of the requirement of the pumps was that it had to be able to pass a 3" diameter solid. So when I first got to a boat with a little 1.5" diameter hose I said sh*t that's not going to handle it. But it does mostly. If you don't think it's going to down, break that log up as that's less nasty than taking the system apart to clear it.

What a crappy thread!

rtbates 22-03-2010 15:22

Get a LAVAC...It will flush a tennis shoe...

Chief Engineer 22-03-2010 18:00

Don't eat corn.....

Corn has been off the menu on any yacht I have been paid crew on.

I am not sh---ng you.

daddle 22-03-2010 18:04

Yes, change your diet. It's easier than changing the marine industry.

Jim Cate 22-03-2010 19:07

Tavis,
In the event that the above advice is inadequate, consider one of those "blender-on-a-stick" units common in modern kitchens... apply when needed.

Just don't invite me over for frozen margaritas...

Jim

maxingout 22-03-2010 19:57

It's not the poop that will plug it up. It's the paper that's the problem. The closer the paper resembles a paper towel, the bigger the problem. Low quality paper that disintegrates in water is the way to go.

If you get clogs, it will because of too much toilet paper or toilet paper that doesn't disintegrate.

gonesail 22-03-2010 23:52

maybe you are worried because you have a water saving toilet that can hardly flush a wad of toilet paper. i think maybe the marine head is actually better than the one i have in my house :whistling:

drinky 23-03-2010 02:22

My head starts with a small hose which then goes up a size all the way to the end. Like you I have wondered why it starts small.

Portobello 23-03-2010 02:48

My plumbing seems to have deterred me quite well :-)

dubhouse 24-03-2010 00:30

Thanks for all the replies. To you doubters and jokers, it is a serious question.
I think i'll just have to keep a "chopper" handy.