Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   What Makes a Cruiser, a Cruiser (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/what-makes-a-cruiser-a-cruiser-37684.html)

Randyonr3 11-03-2010 14:14

What Makes a Cruiser, a Cruiser

Recently on one of the topic threads, ity was mentioned that my boat didnt fall into a clasification as a cruiser........No Worries.. but I wonder. as we've lived aboard our boat for 7 years now and have traveled a few thousand miles, we're totally self contained, well stocked, and well sailed..
with plans to head out in the fall for parts unknown..
So, Is a Rose, a Rose, nomatter what color or shape it is....and by any other name, still a Rose....
And a boat used for cruising, not a cruising boat?????

dniello 11-03-2010 14:17

Deeeeeeeep!

sailorboy1 11-03-2010 14:24

I'll say NO! (no reason just because). I think too many on this forum spend too much time concerned about others options and acceptance of such.

skipmac 11-03-2010 14:30

Well, there are those who say if you aren't in a full keel, gaff rigged, double ender then you don't have a cruising boat. Then there are those that try to adapt an ULD, deep draft, fin keel racer into a Bahamas gunk holing boat.

At the end of the day, if you have lived aboard for seven years and put a few thousand miles under the keel I would not worry too much about a label.

But if you have to ask, in my opinion, if you are cruising then you are a cruiser and your boat is a cruiser, even if you are in a row boat.

flnudistcpl 11-03-2010 14:35

25' chris craft catalina express

We're wondering if our boat is cruiser?

tager 11-03-2010 14:48

All boats are cruisers. It's like buddhism, everyone is invited.

cchesley 11-03-2010 15:00

A cruiser is... you know, kinda like, well .... a boat that cruises???? Maybe?

s/v Beth 11-03-2010 15:06

I don't think your boat is a cruiser Randy. I think you and your wife and kids are cruisers. Your boat is only the tool that your using...
As said earlier- even a lifeboat is a cruising boat if someone lives in it.

Stillraining 11-03-2010 15:35

You ask is my boat a cruiser..yes...should you be cruising in it...yes

WHERE?

is the arguing point for most people it seems.

Zednotzee 11-03-2010 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by flnudistcpl (Post 417913)
We're wondering if our boat is cruiser?

It is if you cruise it.

Look at some of the "boats" that come from Cuba. If your boat is lightly built, you just need to choose your weather window more carefully & plan a shorter passage.

Randyonr3 11-03-2010 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zednotzee (Post 417951)
It is if you cruise it.

If your boat is lightly built, you just need to choose your weather window more carefully & plan a shorter passage.

Now thats an answer...... and should be used whenever anyone asks, "What boat should I buy"

barnakiel 11-03-2010 16:46

I like sailing boats. And whenever I can see a sailing boat cruising I like it too. Somehow, cruising boats can be a disaster when they go sailing.

Or something like this.

b.

Pblais 11-03-2010 17:24

Quote:

And a boat used for cruising, not a cruising boat?????
Cruising is entirely about showing up. Be nice if you looked nice and had extra beer but winning friends is another designation. If you do it long enough people catch the idea. If there were too many rules who would bother?

Bash 11-03-2010 17:31

I hope we don't have copyright problems here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pblais (Post 417992)
Cruising is entirely about showing up.

Nicely put, Paul.
Indeed, I already seem to have stolen it.

Pblais 11-03-2010 17:52

Having been here for 7 years and the stories told and the boats lost and found that come by these waters it comes down to simple truths. If you can get out there and stay there you are - really doing it. It's not about being better - ugly or not. A day on the water anyway you can is better than not. People come in all shapes and sizes with baggage to be sure.

Cruising won't make you a better person than you are, but you sure as anything can feel better about the whole situation. A change in attitude is all most people require. The rest were doomed from the start.