Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Training, Licensing & Certification (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f112/)
-   -   Sailing School with Hotel (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f112/sailing-school-with-hotel-37442.html)

ashland 06-03-2010 06:48

Sailing School with Hotel

Hey everyone. I'm interested in learning to sail but my wife is not interested and we have a 7 year old daughter. I'm trying to find a school where I can sail and my wife and daughter will have nice accomodations. and a beach. I was interested in going to the Carribean. I know Colgate has something similar in Fla.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Reality Check 06-03-2010 08:51

Swain's Sailing School at Nanny Cay Tortola, BVI West Indies is located within a nice hotel complex with a reasonable beach and facilities. As the two are not directly associated, you will have to make reservations separately but I've know several people who did it as you are requesting or did a pre or post land vacation after the Sail Training.

Many other Caribbean Schools are also in or near resort hotel / marinas and have varying degrees of accommodations from high end to basic, but the Nanny Cay area it centrally located and has several places to eat/ drink and shops to spend your money in as well as food store on the premises.

ken

swagman 06-03-2010 09:06

Check out Sunsail. I've no idea if they have combined resorts / sailing centres in the Carib but they do in the Med.
Good luck
JOHN

Bill_E 06-03-2010 09:40

We did the Colgate Cruising Course in Ft. Myers. They have a beautiful hotel but a little pricey. Maybe Colgate has a discount for their students. But for the cruising course we lived aboard.

I've sailed out of Nanny Cay and it's a great marina, hotels look pretty nice but we didn't stay there. I'm not sure if the access to much of Tortola is very good from Nanny Cay. You might have to rent a car.

ashland 06-03-2010 16:53

Hey everyone. Thank you for the suggestions. I will check them out and see what I can find. I'll either do that or send them on a vacation somewhere else. I'm determined to cruise.

Thanks again and keep the ideas coming.

iSaint 06-03-2010 17:01

Move to the coast and join a yacht club like I did. Ocean Springs has great schools, too. :)

ashland 08-03-2010 07:54

iSaint:

I'll check that out. I found one in Biloxi but the adding the expense of a hotel with the cost of the class I could go to the Carribean for about the same price. There is one in Pensacola where I can live on board and take courses. Emerald Coast is the name of the school. I'll see what Ocean Springs has too.

Thank you.

zydecotoad 08-03-2010 08:05

My wife and I took a course at J World in Key West. Your wife and daughter should be able to have a fun time while you sail during the day.

J World

They have other locations, but Key West would be the warmest.

NormanMartin 09-03-2010 14:12

I worked for Rob and Gina Swain for two years. They can set up a pretty nice sailing holiday for a family. The Swains have kids and know what to do, where to go, etc. I did some course work with families containing one sailor and two or three enjoy-the-sailboaters. It works.

Or... you can come to Boston this summer and see us at BSC.

There is an ASA sailing school in Rockland ME. That is a super pretty town and the sailing is stunning.

flashmutt007 09-03-2010 15:27

My wife and I along with our 12 year old daughter are going to sailing school in Key Largo next month. Check out www.sunshinesailing.com. They might be able to get a package put together that suites your family just right.

Palarran 09-03-2010 19:21

Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda. It's exactly what you asked for.

Bitter End Yacht Club | Caribbean Family Vacation | Exotic Romantic Vacations | Caribbean Weddings | All Inclusive Honeymoon Packages| caribbean scuba diving| 800.872.2392

ashland 10-03-2010 09:23

Hey everyone:

I really appreciate all the suggestions. Taking some courses while my family is being entertained is the only way I can get some time to learn. I will look at all of these places and I'm sure one if not more will work for us.
Thank you all again for the information.

ashland 11-03-2010 14:45

Just wanted to send a thank you to everyone who responded to my thread. I've decided to take my courses from Emerald Coast Sailing School in Pensacola. I can drive there and stay on the boat while taking the courses. There is plenty to do there for my family as they are beach lovers. Just need to set a date now.

Thanks again.