Cruisers & Sailing Forums (
-   Plumbing Systems and Fixtures (
-   -   High-Quality Bilge Pumps (

cburger 30-09-2009 15:37

High-Quality Bilge Pumps
I am looking to replace all the bilge pumps on the boat. The typical plastic stuff< Rule and the like make me nervous. I am wondering if anyone knows of any make of a higher caliber, centrifical type, that would have a very high capacity, be able to nestle in a bilge that is about 6" wide, made from metal (cast Iron)? What are the commercial boats using?

S&S 01-10-2009 06:45

You'll be hard pressed to find a centrifugal pump that'll meet your specs.
See the second page of this thread. jabsco diaphragms worked well for me. Top of the line is Edson- high volume, reliable but you'll have to remote mount it.

Sailmonkey 01-10-2009 07:00

Tugs, Supply Boats, Ships......ets. All of these use large AC Irrigation style pumps. They are set up high and plumbed down to the bilge.

captsam54 02-10-2009 05:53

Try a "Loveitt" or similar spelling.. Most "commercial" boats I have seen use "Rules" etc/ and or plumbed with a manifold and pumps that are run off one or both engines..

If possible.. try using the standard one low in the bilge and then a 2500/3500 mounted higher.. big hose w/loop etc. for emergency.. Also get wood plugs to put in broken thru hull etc.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.