Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   Dinghy w/ Name of Mother Ship? (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/dinghy-w-name-of-mother-ship-25838.html)

Sergy 30-04-2009 08:17

Dinghy w/ Name of Mother Ship?

Dingy with corresponding name of vessel
Hi I have a new dingy and I am thinking of adding the name of the mother ship to dingy.
My question is this seems like a wine win for thief’s , as one only has to motor around the shore notice which name of dingy is associated with which sailboat and know there is no one home because dingy is on shore and the occupants are gone hiking etc.
Am I paranoid should we identify the dingy to the mother ship? Thief :dork:

imagine2frolic 30-04-2009 08:22

My mother vessel is Imagine, and I call the dinghy That. My friend's mother vessel is Ruby, and the dink is Bequoina.........i2f

RTB 30-04-2009 08:29

Sergy, my dinghy has the same name as my boat. Maybe you are being paranoid, but it is a good point. Now I'm paranoid too!

I2F...You're funny. :smiling: Those are good!

Cheechako 30-04-2009 08:36

I think it's a very good point, put a differnt "mother ship" name on it... or paint it pink!

imagine2frolic 30-04-2009 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Brogdon (Post 278567)
Sergy, my dinghy has the same name as my boat. Maybe you are being paranoid, but it is a good point. Now I'm paranoid too!

I2F...You're funny. :smiling: Those are good!

Can you tell me how Ruby, and Bequoina match? I t might be Begoina?

jackdale 30-04-2009 10:36

While it is common to prefix the name with T/T (tender to), there are many boats with "cute" dinghy names. My favourite:

Mothership - Kumquat May

Dinghy - Kumquat Mite

Jack

Hud3 30-04-2009 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagine2frolic (Post 278621)
Can you tell me how Ruby, and Bequoina match? I t might be Begoina?

Well, I was very, very young at the time, but the name Ruby Begonia and the Amos & Andy radio show rings a bell.

markpj23 30-04-2009 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hud3 (Post 278629)
Well, I was very, very young at the time, but the name Ruby Begonia and the Amos & Andy radio show rings a bell.

Jeez Hud - now you have to explain to the rest of us who Amos & Andy are... :D:D

My boat: Nauticat
My dink: Nice Kitty

Hey - it came that way...!

FrankZ 30-04-2009 10:59

I have a friend who has a boat named Certainly while the dink is Possibly.

jackdale 30-04-2009 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by markpj23 (Post 278634)
Jeez Hud - now you have to explain to the rest of us who Amos & Andy are... :D:D

My boat: Nauticat
My dink: Nice Kitty

Hey - it came that way...!

A Nauticat 37 I use for instructions called Growltiger, the dink Growlkitten.

amytom 30-04-2009 11:06

Mothership: DogHouse (the kids wanted CatHouse:D, I didn't even try to explain it to them)
Dink: ChewToy

keelbolts 30-04-2009 11:08

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if I boat is strictly a tender to a mother ship, that it doesn't have to be registered, etc. It's foggy & I might remember it wrong. Other than that, Everything I've ever read on the subject said "don't do it." Thieves see your dink on the beach & know which boat is most likely to have no one aboard.

jackdale 30-04-2009 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by keelbolts (Post 278643)
I seem to remember reading somewhere that if I boat is strictly a tender to a mother ship, that it doesn't have to be registered, etc. It's foggy & I might remember it wrong. Other than that, Everything I've ever read on the subject said "don't do it." Thieves see your dink on the beach & know which boat is most likely to have no one aboard.

In Canada, a tender (any boat) with an engine of more than 10 p or 7.5 Kw must be licensed - that is a combination of letters and number. Not sure about other countries.

You see a great many 9.9 hp decals on some rather large engine cowlings :viking:

Jack

jackiepitts 30-04-2009 11:26

We were told by the harboe police here in so cal that if you want to not register the tender to a yact it must have T/T "documentation number of mother ship" to ne legal. They do not want to see the name of the mother ship....only the doxumentation number. There are some other requirements in regard to hp of the tender etc but I don't remember the details of that...only that you need to mark your documentation number on the tender to be legal.

rtbates 30-04-2009 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergy (Post 278563)
Dingy with corresponding name of vessel
Hi I have a new dingy and I am thinking of adding the name of the mother ship to dingy.
My question is this seems like a wine win for thief’s , as one only has to motor around the shore notice which name of dingy is associated with which sailboat and know there is no one home because dingy is on shore and the occupants are gone hiking etc.
Am I paranoid should we identify the dingy to the mother ship? Thief :dork:

No, you're being smart. That's exactly what thieves do. It also helps, to prevent thief, if your dingy is a standout color like bright red, or very ugly. Same goes for the kicker. Make then standout like a sore thumb. One clever cruiser spray painted large bright pink spot all over his dingy and OB. Never had a problem so I'm told.