Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Boat Handling (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f90/)
-   -   Towing Inflatable in Blue Water? (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f90/towing-inflatable-in-blue-water-24087.html)

donw_s11 28-02-2009 18:01

Towing Inflatable in Blue Water?

On the cover of the March 09 issue of Cruising World there is a picture of an inflatable Dink being towed on a short line behind a monohull.

Question1: How many of you tow your inflatable when passagemaking?

Question2: How long of a line do you tow it on?

Question3: What problems have you run into towing the dink?

Question4: What are the advantages--Why do you do it?

TIA,

Don W.

Hudson Force 28-02-2009 18:24

I have towed an inflatable in the past. During one line squal that lasted for about twenty minutes my dinghy was spinning airborne on the painter. 'tossed out the oars and the floor boards. I have a strong pair of davits now, but without the davits I'd have it secured on deck. No more towing for me except inland protected short hops. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

skipmac 28-02-2009 18:26

Tried it once, moderate conditions but a wave a little bigger than the others broke into the dink, swamped it, snapped the painter, dink gone. Won't try it again. Don't recommend it.

Might work with a glass or wood dink but still wouldn't do it again.

sv-Mystique 28-02-2009 19:54

Never tow a dink on passages - protected waters maybe - passages never!

jackdale 28-02-2009 20:05

Dink on deck.

Jack

annk 28-02-2009 20:07

Never.Never.Never!

Celestialsailor 28-02-2009 21:06

I tried it a few times until I had to turn back and loose mileage while trying to scan the horizon for it. Luckily I found it. I was single handing and it was a chore steering the boat and trying to boat pole the painter line.

senormechanico 28-02-2009 21:48

1 Attachment(s)
Nope. Strap it on deck (deflated) to through bolted eyes backed up with metal plates inside the coach roof. Use good webbing tie downs, strong enough to hold it through green water!

Steve B.

Wotname 28-02-2009 23:45

No, never ever ever after losing one! Stowing on deck etc (anyway) is safer than towing.

endoftheroad 01-03-2009 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by senormechanico (Post 259824)
Nope. Strap it on deck (deflated) to through bolted eyes backed up with metal plates inside the coach roof. Use good webbing tie downs, strong enough to hold it through green water!

Steve B.

why do you recommend "deflated"?

senormechanico 01-03-2009 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by endoftheroad (Post 259894)
why do you recommend "deflated"?

Less windage, less likely to be in the way if you have to go fwd / around it.

At least those were our reasons with a 10' RIB on a cutter rigged 35' boat.

We also had a liferaft in a canister strapped on deck just forward of the dodger with a dedicated knife in a sheath stowed next to it.

Your mileage may vary...

Steve B.

endoftheroad 01-03-2009 10:25

thanks

but if you didn't have a canister liferaft then you would have managed around the dink with it inflated?

Cheechako 01-03-2009 10:34

Towing to move from point a to point b inland is usually ok. Passage... no way. I towed one in Mexico once on a 30 mile trip to the next anchorage, ended up with 16 foot seas in the channel I had to cross and the dink kept trying to pass the mother ship when we were surfing down the waves. Other times it would ram the windvane on the back of the boat. Once it broached and filled with water, as the painter tensioned up we all ducked!, remarkably the boat popped vertical out of the water and threw all the water out of it! had to turn into the 16 footers and drag it on deck. Lesson learned, even on a 30 mile trip....

jackdale 01-03-2009 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wotname (Post 259853)
No, never ever ever after losing one! Stowing on deck etc (anyway) is safer than towing.

Faster too. We gain 1 - 1.5 knots.

Jack

Spammy 01-03-2009 16:54

Worst choice: towing a dink with an outboard motor. Inevitably a wave will eventually flip it, and then the motor is a write-off!