Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Lost crew captain charged (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f57/lost-crew-captain-charged-211856.html)

davil 28-12-2018 12:49

Lost crew captain charged
 
not sure where to post this forum having to do with seamanship,rules and red tape sounded close enough?

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/12/...d-responsible/

Suijin 28-12-2018 13:28

Re: Lost crew captain charged
 
This is one of those cases where the devil is likely in the details and we won't ever know what those are.

That said, the fact that Smith made no effort whatsoever to recover Pontious, dead or alive, is alarming. The wind was under five knots, the sea was calm, and the moon was nearly full. Just because the individual does not surface immediately does not mean that no effort should be expended to try and recover them.

I could see being conflicted, as a result of anger and fear, and concluding that recovering Pontious alive could present a danger to the boat and crew. But I expect I would have made a good faith effort and dealt with the follow-on challenges as they arose. But I wasn't there.

Not a situation I'd like to ever find myself in, that's for sure.

Gotta love lawyers that have a sense of humor though:
“While the invitation extended in your letter for Mr. Smith to waive his constitutional rights and testify under oath, without an attorney present, in order to charge him with crimes is tempting, we will politely decline to do so at this point.”

danielamartindm 28-12-2018 13:32

Re: Lost crew captain charged
 
Very sad; but exactly what was the "dereliction of duty" on the captain's part? Not carrying out MOB procedures I can see, but anything else?

belizesailor 28-12-2018 13:34

Re: Lost crew captain charged
 
Food for thought when considering taking on unknown crew.

Snore 28-12-2018 13:42

Re: Lost crew captain charged
 
The pivotal issue is when did he start SAR? Why didn’t he use whatever communications gear he used to speak to Parker to raise a MOB/mutiny alarm?

These are just the first two questions I have. To judge another mariner’s actions without the full story, specifically the owners side, is unfair to all concerned.

This event really shows that here is a lot to being a master on a vessel.

sailorboy1 28-12-2018 13:46

Re: Lost crew captain charged
 
He was in fear for the well being of the crew, boat, himself. His neigelience was in not hitting the nut job in the back of the head, twice, with a winch handle and throwing him over after being attacked.

boatman61 28-12-2018 13:51

Re: Lost crew captain charged
 
I am surprised that he did not head for the closest port on day 2 seeing as the guys condition was deteriorating rapidly and he was non functional.. welfare and consideration of crew.. also refusing to do an MOB in perfect conditions I find astonishing to be frank.
Regarding the guy who says one cannot turn a boat like that around in the middle of the ocean, he needs to go back to sailing school.
Lots of unknowns but I can see why the case is being brought.

Snore 28-12-2018 13:52

Re: Lost crew captain charged
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sailorboy1 (Post 2789755)
He was in fear for the well being of the crew, boat, himself. His neigelience was in not hitting the nut job in the back of the head, twice, with a winch handle and throwing him over after being attacked.

And you got that info from where????

As I said, until the owners side of the story is told any comments are....

Wait for it.....





ASSumptions.

:whistling:

john61ct 28-12-2018 13:57

Re: Lost crew captain charged
 
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/vesse.../topics/327302

sailorboy1 28-12-2018 14:13

Re: Lost crew captain charged
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snore (Post 2789765)
And you got that info from where????

As I said, until the owners side of the story is told any comments are....

Because I'm been following the story longer than here. It's right in the CG report and it seems greatly reasonable to me.

If you have been a physical danger to the crew and boat for days, then attacked the captain, then jumped over the side, .................... well on my boat you better be a great swimmer

belizesailor 28-12-2018 14:17

Re: Lost crew captain charged
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 2789763)
I am surprised that he did not head for the closest port on day 2 seeing as the guys condition was deteriorating rapidly and he was non functional.. welfare and consideration of crew.. also refusing to do an MOB in perfect conditions I find astonishing to be frank.
Regarding the guy who says one cannot turn a boat like that around in the middle of the ocean, he needs to go back to sailing school.
Lots of unknowns but I can see why the case is being brought.

I can understand his sentiment in not wanting to do an MOB attempt, but that was a bad decision on his part. I expect that will hurt him in the trial.

belizesailor 28-12-2018 14:18

Re: Lost crew captain charged
 
Got a link to the CG report?

boatman61 28-12-2018 14:19

Re: Lost crew captain charged
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sailorboy1 (Post 2789788)
Because I'm been following the story longer than here. It's right in the CG report and it seems greatly reasonable to me.

If you have been a physical danger to the crew and boat for days, then attacked the captain, then jumped over the side, .................... well on my boat you better be a great swimmer

You'd not put up with it for days.. like me you'd likely have headed for shore on day two.. 2 crew and a skipper is more than plenty if he's as good as claimed.

Snore 28-12-2018 14:22

Re: Lost crew captain charged
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sailorboy1 (Post 2789788)
Because I'm been following the story longer than here. It's right in the CG report and it seems greatly reasonable to me.

If you have been a physical danger to the crew and boat for days, then attacked the captain, then jumped over the side, .................... well on my boat you better be a great swimmer

Sure would be nice if you gave a link!

Found this that sheds better light https://www.penbaypilot.com/article/...leases-/111009

Based on the USCG report in the link I have attached, the owner did everything thing he could have- once things turned ugly.

As the Master, I am responsible for you. Before you board my vessel you put in writing any meds you are taking and food allergies. If you lie in writing- my actions are defendable. If the medical questions are not in writing, there may be an issue. Added advantage—- at 6’3” 225, crew I hire is smaller than me and could likely be restrained by me and one other. :biggrin:

boatman61 28-12-2018 14:39

Re: Lost crew captain charged
 
From whats been stated about Mary Jane and a gun being dumped overboard seems drugs were accepted on board..
And how is it a skipper licensed to do charters not be trained for a MOB recovery.. or the correct procedure for alerting authorities straight away if an EPIRB was on board.. then stay local till help arrived for a possible recovery.
But everyones different I guess.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:06.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.