Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Key west voyage sailing only (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/key-west-voyage-sailing-only-206336.html)

Capt.Ty 22-08-2018 19:57

Key west voyage sailing only

Any tips on how to sail to Key west with no motor ? Please all advise needed on currents winds tides

Capt.Ty 22-08-2018 19:58

Re: Key west voyage sailing only

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt.Ty (Post 2702793)
Any tips on how to sail to Key west with no motor ? Please all advise needed on currents winds tides

Also routes to take and not to take

Bleemus 22-08-2018 20:02

Well, how about telling us where you are? Kinda makes a difference.

Also, if you need an engine repair Key West is about the most expensive place in Florida to do it.

Sitting in Key West during hurricane season with no engine and ,I will assume, no insurance is living on the edge.

Ecos 22-08-2018 20:05

Where the hell you coming from? It's easy from the NE. From the SW is tricky.

billknny 22-08-2018 20:18

Quote:

Winds: See local weather forecast
Tides: See NOAA tide book
Currents: See NOAA current book

With no idea of where you are coming from, what kind of boat, and when, nobody can offer you any kind of useable help.

We already have a pretty good idea about what your level of knowledge and experience is.

svHyLyte 23-08-2018 06:59

Considering your prior posts, I suggest such a trip is a "Bridge Too Far" for you at this point in your sailing career. Firstly, you would be wise to get your engine fixed before doing anything else. Then focus on learning your boat and how to sail her. Then come back with your questions. As for winds/currents, Google "North Atlantic Pilot Charts"...

FWIW...

Dave22q 23-08-2018 09:37

Quote:

Simple answer is DON'T. If coming from north you will have problems at the draw bridges on the ICW or be opposing the Gulf Stream offshore. Also, as others have noted, Key West engine work is more expensive than almost anywhere else.
Yes, it can be done but safety is dubious unless very knowledgeable.

Ken Z 23-08-2018 13:45

Not knowing where you are, amount of draft makes a answer tough. I had a motor go out en route to the keys and could only get it started at times. I sailed the keys on the gulf side for months. There are small channels around many keys sometimes only 20 wide and next to the land, many shallow areas, I had a tri so 24 was doable. Tides are fast and can be meaningful. I worked hard and was able to get a new motor, at list price .... plus... wfw, wait for weather its that time again. I d head for key west.

Sailshabby 23-08-2018 14:05

Best way might be on someone else’s boat...

Capt.Ty 23-08-2018 17:20

Also the boat is 34 ft sloop 3.5 ft draft

Capt.Ty 23-08-2018 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecos (Post 2702800)
Where the hell you coming from? It's easy from the NE. From the SW is tricky.

I'm coming from Boca grande

Capt.Ty 23-08-2018 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by billknny (Post 2702807)
Winds: See local weather forecast
Tides: See NOAA tide book
Currents: See NOAA current book

With no idea of where you are coming from, what kind of boat, and when, nobody can offer you any kind of useable help.

We already have a pretty good idea about what your level of knowledge and experience is.

I'm south bound from Boca Grande islander she's a 34 ft 3.5 draft morgan the center board dosent go down should I fix that before I go? Is it possible to sail against a heavy head wind from a storm

belizesailor 24-08-2018 06:50

Capt Ty, no disrespected intended, but have you considered learning to sail BEFORE you try and go somewhere under sail?

There are several threads here similar to yours which have ended badly. The sea can be very unforgiving.

rockDAWG 24-08-2018 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by belizesailor (Post 2703701)
Capt Ty, no disrespected intended, but have you considered learning to sail BEFORE you try and go somewhere under sail?

There are several threads here similar to yours which have ended badly. The sea can be very unforgiving.

Captain Ty is a "Captain", he must know how to sail. I think his post is for seeking local info .....Hahaaaa.

Tingum 24-08-2018 15:12

Let's see: 22 post, call himself Captain, and ask how to sail. Soon to be on the evening news!