Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing Systems and Fixtures (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Sealand Vacuflush not flushing (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/sealand-vacuflush-not-flushing-204821.html)

Gregorys6601 23-07-2018 08:07

Sealand Vacuflush not flushing

Hi all,
I am somewhat new to the boating world and very new to the vacuflush systems. My system has been constantly running. Which, from my reading here is probably an air leak somewhere. Now, the toilet will not flush. Nothing will,go down. The owners manual said the first thing to do was use a plunger. Didnít work.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Scott

peghall 23-07-2018 09:20

Re: Sealand Vacuflush not flushing

It may or may not be an air leak or a clog....in fact, may not even be a problem with the toilet, but a blocked holding tank vent that's pressurized the whole system, creating back pressure that won't let anything go down.

I've emailed you the info you requested along with the trouble-shooting guide. If you can't find the solution in any of it, I'll be glad to help you.

--Peggie

Gregorys6601 23-07-2018 10:04

Thanks! I should have mentioned I have a 2nd head and that one flushes just fine.

evm1024 23-07-2018 10:11

The second head is on its own vacuum generator.

First step is to examine the hoses from the head to the tank. You might be able to hear the leak.

Second is to replace the duckbill valves in the vacuum generator. There are 4 and they are sold in kits of 2. (BTW the pump-out pump only uses 2 duckbill valves)

You might as well replace all 6 duckbill valves in your system while you are at it.

Do place some disposable pads under the generators when you open them up..... And wear clothes that you do not mind getting soiled.

Just did this on my system. Expect $22 for a set of 2 valves - Shop around for the best price.

Fuss 23-07-2018 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregorys6601 (Post 2679936)
Hi all,

I am somewhat new to the boating world and very new to the vacuflush systems. My system has been constantly running. Which, from my reading here is probably an air leak somewhere. Now, the toilet will not flush. Nothing will,go down. The owners manual said the first thing to do was use a plunger. Didnít work.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Scott

the system is not design to constantly run... you have an seal problem probably at the toilet.
does the toilet hold water or does it slowly go away.
when you use the toilet, you need to fill the bowl with water and press the pedal until you hear that the pipe is free.
did you use it this way? if not, you blocked it... more than likely at the vacuum tank.

Gregorys6601 23-07-2018 11:28

The bowl does hold water. Probably have not held the foot pedal down long enough at all times. Didnt know I needed too. Can I use a snake for the 4 ft to the vacuum or should I disconnect the hoses? Of course, I have about two feet to work in after crawling in a small space I barely fit into!

evm1024 23-07-2018 11:46

The bowl holds water so the seal in the bowl works. You should hold the foot lever down for 2 or 3 seconds when flushing to move the stuff through the lines.

That the vacuum generator runs full time then we can conclude that no vacuum is being created or the pressure switch is bad. That you cannot flush means no vacuum and not the switch.

No vacuum means that there is either a leak in the plumbing or there is a leak in the vacuum generator.

The duckbill valves commonly "wear out" after some years in the generator. And are the most common cause of a failure to generate a vacuum (when there is no leak in the plumbing).

Gregorys6601 23-07-2018 12:14

Thank you. Once I figure out which model I have I am going to order the duckbill replacement parts. Is there a generic or Sealand instructions somewhere for replacing these parts?
THanks!
Scott

evm1024 23-07-2018 12:26

A quick google search of: "sealand duckbill valve installation" will get you instructions and videos.

Not hard to do. Just unscrew - you may need a set of channel locks (I did).

Don't forget that Westmarine does a price match. WM often has at least 1 set in-stock.

moseriw 24-07-2018 09:20

keep it simple - don't flush - pump it out.

Gregorys6601 24-07-2018 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by moseriw (Post 2680936)
keep it simple - don't flush - pump it out.

Flushing the toilet itself. I pump out the holding tank and don't flush into the water - I have no overboard flush for the holding tank.

Mojadito 24-07-2018 10:13

Be aware that when replacing the duckbills, one side of the pump may have LH threads, if you cannot get it to move, try the other direction

CaptMarc 24-07-2018 10:47

If running constant, check the bellows piston at the Vac Generator. If broken, it will run but not create vacuum.

Gregorys6601 02-08-2018 19:23

Thanks all. It was the duck bills. RepĒaced and working perfectly. Thank you everyone for the info and advice!
Scott