Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Anchoring & Mooring (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   Can you identify this windlass? (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/can-you-identify-this-windlass-195934.html)

US1Fountain 11-01-2018 00:18

Can you identify this windlass?

3 Attachment(s)
Bought a boat a few months ago and it has this vertical windlass. There are no markings identifying the make on the above deck unit. The motor has Maxwell P10153 tag on it. Searching the Maxwell sites of all the windlasses, current and obsolete, I can not find anything that is remotely close to this. Don't even know if the Maxwell motor can be fitted to other makes, thus a different brand. The boat is a '93, however don't know if this is original or been installed at a later date. I have not pulled the rope guides back to verify if it is a rope only capstan, though I tend to think it is. I've searched using keywords Vetus, Maxwell, obsolete, vertical, etc. looking thru 1000's of images online with no luck.
The windlass works fine, but I'd like to know the make and model so that I may DL a manual. Thanks

Alan Mighty 11-01-2018 00:46

Re: Can you identify this windlass?

Your Maxwell P10153 motor looks like it has only 2 bolts, not 4, through its flange, right? That's a marker of an earlier model windlass and fits in with the age of the boat.

So it's probably about a 1990 model. You've looked at the 1990 model Maxwell windlasses? Ones such as Freedom 800 or V800 or 1000?

Paul L 11-01-2018 03:46

How about posting a picture of the top side also

US1Fountain 11-01-2018 06:34

The similar 2 pics are of the top side looking straight down on it.

I've DL'd so many manuals, both current and obsolete, nothing comes close. Not saying I haven't overlooked one.

Sailmonkey 11-01-2018 06:40

Iíve never seen one like that!

I would call maxwell and talk to someone. Get their email and send them photos.

zeehag 11-01-2018 08:07

start with maxwell, which is plainly written. should be easy. email pictures so they know what it is you seek.

if you ask, they may be able to hook you up with a manual for your unit. manuals make life easier.

John_Trusty 11-01-2018 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by US1Fountain (Post 2553151)

Sorry, I don't think we're seeing the photo you're referring to. Can you post a photo of the top of the warping drum / windlass outside? What vessel is this on? My Maxwell has the model number stamped inside the manual winch-handle fitting on the warping drum, so you might try looking inside those.

Sailmonkey 11-01-2018 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Trusty (Post 2553208)
Sorry, I don't think we're seeing the photo you're referring to. Can you post a photo of the top of the warping drum / windlass outside? What vessel is this on? My Maxwell has the model number stamped inside the manual winch-handle fitting on the warping drum, so you might try looking inside those.

There are two photos of the chain wheel posted. Itís the most unusual windlass Iíve ever seen

John_Trusty 11-01-2018 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailmonkey (Post 2553222)
There are two photos of the chain wheel posted. Itís the most unusual windlass Iíve ever seen

Sorry, I misinterpreted because I have never seen one like that before either. I just assumed what I was looking at were below-decks as it looks odd.

JOHNMARDALL 11-01-2018 08:43

Please send your information and photographs to Will Vrooman , windlass guru at VetusMaxwell (wvrooman@vetus.com), and he will be able to tell you what you've got.

all the best
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group

Cadence 11-01-2018 12:26

I was wondering if the casting no. would help. I could not make it out.

buzzstar 11-01-2018 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by US1Fountain (Post 2553151)

I've DL'd so many manuals, both current and obsolete, nothing comes close. Not saying I haven't overlooked one.

I hope you are uploading the manuals to the new spot on CF. Thanks.

US1Fountain 11-01-2018 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL (Post 2553242)
Please send your information and photographs to Will Vrooman , windlass guru at VetusMaxwell (wvrooman@vetus.com), and he will be able to tell you what you've got.

all the best
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll grab a couple more pics for a better view to send off to Will.

buzzstar 11-01-2018 20:32

Since the motor (4 bolts) is still available, it would be much better to see the windlass, not the motor.

US1Fountain 11-01-2018 21:18

2 of the pictures are of the windlass