Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   AC Tripping Breaker (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/ac-tripping-breaker-188920.html)

Vandrant 07-08-2017 08:59

AC Tripping Breaker
 
I have two AC zones one water pump. My zone 1 works fine blows hot and cold no problems. Zone two on the other hand trips my shore power breaker only as soon as the compressor starts to make a sound that it is kicking in. Would love to hear what I should be testing or what I should be looking at.

boatpoker 07-08-2017 09:11

Re: AC Tripping Breaker
 
You have a short either in the conductors or the compressor.
Corrosion at connections can cause the short.
Start with the simple things first. Clean all connections, inspect wires for damage and try again.

84SeaRay 08-08-2017 12:58

Re: AC Tripping Breaker
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 2451159)
You have a short either in the conductors or the compressor.
Corrosion at connections can cause the short.
Start with the simple things first. Clean all connections, inspect wires for damage and try again.

Same exact thing for me. Amp meter goes way up then my breaker pops INSIDE the boat, not at shore power

Olddan1943 08-08-2017 13:42

Re: AC Tripping Breaker
 
Sometimes breakers get "tired" or overly sensitive.
I had the same problem with my 50amp Norhavan. Changed out the boat shore power breakers and the problem disappeared.

boatbod 09-08-2017 18:11

Re: AC Tripping Breaker
 
Sounds like a bad capacitor in the a/c unit. Failure to start the compressor results in excessive amp draw and blown breakers.

svHyLyte 09-08-2017 18:15

Re: AC Tripping Breaker
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandrant (Post 2451150)
I have two AC zones one water pump. My zone 1 works fine blows hot and cold no problems. Zone two on the other hand trips my shore power breaker only as soon as the compressor starts to make a sound that it is kicking in. Would love to hear what I should be testing or what I should be looking at.

Boatbod is correct. Ten bucks on you having a blown capacitor in your AC control box. It should be something in the range of 25 micro-farad. Stop trying to "start" your AC until you've checked or you'll cook the wiring as well as the capacitor. Once it's replaced, have you technician add a "soft start" controller so you can avoid the situation a second time.

FWIW...

84SeaRay 24-08-2017 11:41

Re: AC Tripping Breaker
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 2453226)
Boatbod is correct. Ten bucks on you having a blown capacitor in your AC control box. It should be something in the range of 25 micro-farad. Stop trying to "start" your AC until you've checked or you'll cook the wiring as well as the capacitor. Once it's replaced, have you technician add a "soft start" controller so you can avoid the situation a second time.

FWIW...

Bingo! After getting quoted $3700 to replace the compressor, had a great contractor come in and replace the capacitor and acid flush system (I'll do it next time) for $250. Cool as a cucumber! Thanks for the input. Much appreciated (it made me sound like i knew my stuff)

84SeaRay 24-08-2017 11:42

Re: AC Tripping Breaker
 
Already had the easy start in place

svHyLyte 24-08-2017 12:14

Re: AC Tripping Breaker
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 84SeaRay (Post 2463249)
Bingo! After getting quoted $3700 to replace the compressor, had a great contractor come in and replace the capacitor and acid flush system (I'll do it next time) for $250. Cool as a cucumber! Thanks for the input. Much appreciated (it made me sound like i knew my stuff)

Ah... Don't forget my ten bucks (or a 6-pack of Anchor Steam Beer)! $260 all up!

84SeaRay 24-08-2017 12:23

Re: AC Tripping Breaker
 
You got it.. let me know the next time you're cruising by Longboat Key


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:55.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.