Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Inverter reccomendations (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/inverter-reccomendations-188655.html)

BigAl.NZ 02-08-2017 02:36

Inverter reccomendations

Hi guys,

We will shortly have a 40 foot yacht.

I don have on hand how many batteries it has, but the owner has said he only has a portable small inverter that may or many not come with the boat.

I am pretty keen to install a inverter permanently for my laptop, and the idea of a Nespresso machine is rather appealing too.

So does anyone care to reccomend a make and model of inverter?

Note we are 220v in this part of the world.

Cheers

Al

HankOnthewater 02-08-2017 04:35

Re: Inverter reccomendations

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Al, recently there has been 4 or 5 threads on this topic; here are 2 links for them:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-180254.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-176911.html

I think the second one has some discussion on nespresso (or similar) coffee makers.
Note: the needs to run a coffee maker is totally different than to run a laptop. I would say it is cheaper to run the laptop via a device that increase the voltage from 12 to ie 19 Volt. Cheaper both in the sense of $ cost of device (vs inverter) and also in regard to such device using less precious Amperes from the batteries.

There is another issue, some inverters have an output that is a modified sine wave, others generate a pure sine wave. Generally any electronic stuff like computers like the pure sine wave, and guess what, these kind of inverters are more expensive.

My coffeemaker runs on a pure sine wave inverter. I use this one (like in image) for my laptop, it doesn't go via the inverter.

Kenomac 02-08-2017 04:43

We use several Mastervolt inverters. Never a problem with any of them.

gbgreen59 02-08-2017 04:48

I use a 1500W modified sine wave inverter. Am charging laptops and using power tools from it without any problems.

Scott Berg 02-08-2017 05:13

The best small boat inverters we've ever installed come from Victron. Mastervolt also makes good models but Victron has a wider range of smaller units. For the laptop something like this https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...ct-250va-800va Nespresso machine would need a larger model. (Usual disclaimers apply)

rourkeh 02-08-2017 05:58

Buy anything BUT Zantrex, they are total crap.
Sterling Power Products makes good low cost inverters.

ColdEh Marine 02-08-2017 06:59

Had issues with Victron inverters but I love there Solar controllers . For an inverter I went with a Vanner , bullet proof , simple, quiet and great support. Ours has been running 24/7 for 3 years

Inverter Charger, Power Inverter, Battery Equalizer, Battery Monitoring

Regards

BigAl.NZ 02-08-2017 11:51

Hi Guys,

Thanks those Victron Quattro units look pretty nice. I understand it may be more efficent to get a 12v converter for running the laptop, but since in reality I would end up running a variety of devices I will stick with a inverter.

It doesn't seem very practical to run a Nespresso on a boat - possible sure, but at some cost!!

I suppose if we ever end up with a Genset it could be run directly off that?

Would it not be possible to run it directly from the alternator?

Regards,

Al

john61ct 02-08-2017 16:06

Magnum are excellent

Cavalier 02-08-2017 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by john61ct (Post 2447708)
Magnum are excellent

+1 have been very happy with our MS2012

Sent from mTalk

a64pilot 02-08-2017 16:13

Inverter reccomendations

I have a Magnum as well, but if you only want to run a coffee maker and a laptop.
I'd buy a automobile charger for the laptop and find a 12V coffeemaker and or use the stove as there are excellent options with that, bet Weavis can help you there, he knows more about coffee than anyone I have ever known. You would save thousands of dollars, and in my opinion you really need to know how big a battery bank you have before you go buy a big inverter and try to run a coffee pot off of it, and how are you going to charge it etc.

puffcard 02-08-2017 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by rourkeh (Post 2447300)
Buy anything BUT Zantrex, they are total crap.
Sterling Power Products makes good low cost inverters.

Xantrex is also total crap. I use to be so high on them, now the only thing of theirs I got is a LINKlite.

Cavalier 02-08-2017 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by puffcard (Post 2447743)
Xantrex is also total crap. I use to be so high on them, now the only thing of theirs I got is a LINKlite.

Xanax should be avoided too.. totally sedate! [emoji6]

Sent from mTalk

john61ct 02-08-2017 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 2447714)
I have a Magnum as well, but if you only want to run a coffee maker and a laptop.

The very common 2000W units will certainly do more than that, I believe they go up to 12,000 watts, even seen 3-phase.

hellosailor 02-08-2017 17:56

Al-
If you ever plug into shore power, some recent threads have noted that a true "marine grade": inverter will automatically and properly combine/separate the neutral and ground lines, depending on whether you are hooked into shore power, genset on boat, etc. Something that is usually overlooked but can be deadly.

On the laptop, just buy a "car and plane" adapter for it. This is a DC-to-DC brick that can take 12 volts and supply the (typically) 19 that your laptop needs. Unless you've got a real hungry one, that will feed it. And instead of running TWO converters (AC to DC, then DC to laptop) you're running just one, so you'll use less power. And if the big inverter fries, you'll still be able to use the laptop separately. As well as in cars and planes. They're not expensive.

On the big inverter? Figure out everything besides the Nespresso that you might want to use. Some things require a sine wave inverter ($$$$) others don't. Some things require 2000 watts. Others less than half that. A good one won't be cheap, but a cheap one usually will go belly-up in a surprisingly short time.

And, forgive me if you already know this, the inverter should be connected to the batteries with big, thick, short, expensive cables, or it will starve to death.