Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   New House Battery Installation Photos (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/new-house-battery-installation-photos-186872.html)

ayates 26-06-2017 07:20

New House Battery Installation Photos

3 Attachment(s)
FYI... New house battery installation on slides for easy access. Note that the fusing is not visible in these photos.

Allan.

Pete7 30-06-2017 06:46

Re: New House Battery Installation Photos

What hold the batteries in the tray if the boat is knocked down?

Pete

S/V Illusion 30-06-2017 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 (Post 2424051)

Pete

Apparently pure luck:smile:

barnakiel 30-06-2017 07:32

I can't see the tie-dows?

b.

Maine Sail 30-06-2017 07:39

Quote:

Pete

Looks like angle iron over the top that ties to threaded rod..

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...p;d=1498486705

The angle iron and threaded rod looks okay. My concerns would be more about flooded batteries and lack of acid resistant trays (Rhino liner would help) and no acid containment. Also there is crossing of positive and negative cabling before it gets to over current protection that should be remedied..

There are plastic acid containment boxes for L-16's, I use them often with L-16's....

ayates 30-06-2017 07:46

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Only shown in the last photo, and not that clear in the posted re-sized version, are metal angles which fasten to the threaded rods. The batteries locked down solid. There is also a block welded to the bottom of the angle, to space the batteries front-to-back.

Allan.

LLizzard 30-06-2017 08:18

tough crowd!

ayates 30-06-2017 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLizzard (Post 2424096)
tough crowd!

Actually I love it! It's great to get access to combined knowledge. Just sorting through the other responses now...

ayates 30-06-2017 08:42

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maine Sail (Post 2424079)
My concerns would be more about flooded batteries and lack of acid resistant trays (Rhino liner would help) and no acid containment.

The tray is continuously welded aluminum (either 1/4" or 5/16" thick). The threaded rod screws into blocks welded to the tray; there are no penetrations. According to the company that manufactured the tray for us, this meets the requirements for acid containment. They build fire/patrol/etc boats for the Canadian & US goverments, and use a similar method on those boats. However, a spray on liner is an interesting idea and something I will keep in mind.

Quote:

Also there is crossing of positive and negative cabling before it gets to over current protection that should be remedied.

Crossing of cable is something I didn't consider; this is a very interesting point. Given the sliding movement of the tray, I did ensure the cables would have no possibility of rubbing on sharp metal edges with the slide in the closed position. The overhead photo was from before the final cable dressing. I will review the cable routing with this in mind; thanks a lot for this tip.

As an FYI, attached is a photo of the original compartment and one of the new feed through panel (prior to full cabling).

Thanks,

Allan.

Pete7 01-07-2017 04:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLizzard (Post 2424096)
tough crowd!

Indeed, but we hope he will take it the right way and looks like he has. Better that someone says "hey what about ......" now than to find out on a dark night that the electrics have gone tits because something you missed.

Allan, does the negative cable need to touch the positive cable on the left? also in the same photo does the positive cable need to touch the negative battery terminal? a bit of fretting in a bouncy seaway and well..... you can work it out.

Pete

boatbod 01-07-2017 07:35

Quote:

Looks like angle iron over the top that ties to threaded rod..

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...4&d=1498486705

The angle iron and threaded rod looks okay. My concerns would be more about flooded batteries and lack of acid resistant trays (Rhino liner would help) and no acid containment. Also there is crossing of positive and negative cabling before it gets to over current protection that should be remedied..

There are plastic acid containment boxes for L-16's, I use them often with L-16's....

Concur. The metal trays are a disaster waiting to happen as soon as acid spills on them.