Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marine Electronics (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   B&G Zeus 3 (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/b-and-g-zeus-3-a-175926.html)

ErBrown 17-11-2016 09:29

B&G Zeus 3

Looks like they finally announce the latest Zeus update (Zeus 3).

Still hunting for details and availability info but so far looks like they finally integrated wireless and of course faster and more responsive.

I'm very interested as we're getting very close to purchasing our electronics. If you see any additional details please post them below.

Zeusł

-EB

ErBrown 18-11-2016 06:45

Re: B&G Zeus 3

In addition to native wireless and bluetooth support, it looks like it adds native support for forward scan sonar without the need to the $500 sonar hub.

Zeusł 9

fallingeggs 18-11-2016 08:13

They don't have the manual for the Zeus3 up yet, so it is hard to say what all is different. When you click on the Zeus3, it just brings you to the Zeus2. Silly.

From the pictures and video, the software seems to be the same as the Zeus2. Maybe a higher definition screen (including a 16'' version) with better touch sensitivity. Definitely has more buttons.

The integrated wifi is a slight improvement. It may make it difficult to get GoFree and internet to work on the same network. This, for the Zeus2, required bridging the wifi-1 with another router, which may not be possible with the integrated wifi of the Zeus3. I bet you still need to run an ethernet cable for the radar.

Makes me a little jealous as I just got my Zeus2 in the mail a few weeks ago; although, for only $900, I'm still happy overall.

fallingeggs 18-11-2016 08:33

fwiw...

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: METS 2016: Navico, Fusion, Airmar and Signal K

Saltyhog 18-11-2016 08:39

A bit more detail at Panbo. Simrad Evo3 and B&G Zeus3

There is a bit more screen resolution which I think was needed. At the Annapolis show this year, I thought the B&G MFDs resolution looked bad compared next to a Garmin MFD of similar size. A small screen works okay if there is enough resolution.

They've also introduced a browser based mechanism for configuration. I think this is smart.

My hope is that MARPA is now fixed and actually "works", although I'm not sure if that activity is performed in the MFD or the RADAR dome.

Time will tell if Navico is still releasing products for testing by their customers or if they are now shipping a finished and fully tested device. My hope is for the latter as from what I've seen so far, the 9" Zeus3 (along with their RADAR, instruments, and AP) would be a good fit for me.

ErBrown 18-11-2016 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallingeggs (Post 2260352)

Thanks FallingEggs, good stuff. Nice to see the support for viewing predict wind files directly on the plotter, that should be handy...omce we have predict wind coverage.

fallingeggs 18-11-2016 08:55

I'm not sure what to make of the webpage do-dad. Panbo says it can be used to configure a H5000 CPU, which I doubt is applicable to most uses of a Zeus. Maybe it will have future benefits beyond my ability to imagine?

On the radar/marpa, I think that is the dome's job, or at least the interface box that is between the dome and the Zeus. Either way, I don't think the function can be improved by updating the Zeus's software.

On Predictwind, this is already a function of the Zeus2, it just requires the wifi-1. It was in a software update somewhere along the way.

navman 18-11-2016 11:10

Well, as most of us don't have any real need for forward scan, the only real improvement appears to be the integrated wifi, which is probably cheaper for them to manufacture as opposed to a stand alone unit. That was, in all likelihood, a cost savings measure on their part. Less tooling, etc.

The screen on the Zeus3 12" is actually LOWER resolution than the Zeus2, so this is in my opinion a step backwards.

The screen itself may be a tad brighter, but they have reduced the total pixel count of the display by over 400,000, which is a reduction of over 1/3 the resolution!!!!

The predictwind feature was, as mentioned, already available to Z2 owners.

I can't really see this as a step forward. I'm happy to pay $199 for the wifi module (which you can typically get tossed in for free) and just take the rebate they are offering on the Zeus2. You're miles ahead.

Not an upgrade in my book. Like most things these days, the new model is a downgrade.

Saltyhog 18-11-2016 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by navman (Post 2260458)
Well, as most of us don't have any real need for forward scan, the only real improvement appears to be the integrated wifi, which is probably cheaper for them to manufacture as opposed to a stand alone unit. That was, in all likelihood, a cost savings measure on their part. Less tooling, etc.

The screen on the Zeus3 12" is actually LOWER resolution than the Zeus2, so this is in my opinion a step backwards.

The screen itself may be a tad brighter, but they have reduced the total pixel count of the display by over 400,000, which is a reduction of over 1/3 the resolution!!!!

The predictwind feature was, as mentioned, already available to Z2 owners.

I can't really see this as a step forward. I'm happy to pay $199 for the wifi module (which you can typically get tossed in for free) and just take the rebate they are offering on the Zeus2. You're miles ahead.

Not an upgrade in my book. Like most things these days, the new model is a downgrade.

Not sure where you got your resolution numbers from. The links on the B&G site to the specifics on the Zeus3 models all take you to the old 7" Zeus2 models. If you look on the Simrad site, the 12" Evo3 has the same resolution as the Evo2. Smaller models do seem to have increased resolution a bit.

indimini 18-11-2016 13:22

NSS9 evo3 specs show screen resolution is 720 x 1280, B&G Zeus2 9" resolution is 480 x 800. The NSS7 evo3 shows a smaller increase in screen resolution from 480 x 800 to 600 x 1024.

That is definitely a nice improvement in screen resolutions, but otherwise, the feature set looks like it can be mirrored with Zeus 2 addons.

navman 18-11-2016 14:06

Had not looked at the small ones, but the 12" is, according to the website, lower:

Z2 1280x800
Z3 1024x600

At least according to:

Zeusł 12

Dave_S 18-11-2016 16:44

I went to the b&g guy and he had an email Friday that said he should have stock in February.

Same price as the 2 but the 2 is now discounted. Not to $900 though. That was a good buy!

Dave_S 18-11-2016 16:52

He also said that the touch screen when wet problem is fixed.

Not sure if the old one could do this but it will have hdmi to output to another screen, like a tv so you can have a bigger display, good for me.

Saltyhog 24-11-2016 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by navman (Post 2260554)
Had not looked at the small ones, but the 12" is, according to the website, lower:

Z2 1280x800
Z3 1024x600

At least according to:

Zeusł 12

Something's not right with at least one of Navico's websites. Simrad and B&G share their hardware platforms. That's a smart thing for them to do so I'd be surprised if they changed that practice. Simrad site says the 12" is 1280 x 800. My guess is that the B&G site is incorrect.

CAELESTIS 24-11-2016 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltyhog (Post 2264975)
Something's not right with at least one of Navico's websites. Simrad and B&G share their hardware platforms. That's a smart thing for them to do so I'd be surprised if they changed that practice. Simrad site says the 12" is 1280 x 800. My guess is that the B&G site is incorrect.

Agreed. B&G website is woefully lacking information. I have a Z2 and will be upgrading (so anyone that wants a great deal on a barely used Z2 12in, save my PM address)

Sandero 24-11-2016 19:08

I have a T7 probably first generation... the user interface stinks... I am not disinclined to upgrade the main MFD to a B&G Touch. I don't like touch screens and prefer real knobs, dials, buttons and key pads.

deluxe68 26-11-2016 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallingeggs (Post 2260340)
They don't have the manual for the Zeus3 up yet, so it is hard to say what all is different. When you click on the Zeus3, it just brings you to the Zeus2. Silly.

From the pictures and video, the software seems to be the same as the Zeus2. Maybe a higher definition screen (including a 16'' version) with better touch sensitivity. Definitely has more buttons.

The integrated wifi is a slight improvement. It may make it difficult to get GoFree and internet to work on the same network. This, for the Zeus2, required bridging the wifi-1 with another router, which may not be possible with the integrated wifi of the Zeus3. I bet you still need to run an ethernet cable for the radar.

Makes me a little jealous as I just got my Zeus2 in the mail a few weeks ago; although, for only $900, I'm still happy overall.

I just got the Zeus2 7" and wifi earlier this year. Never did get the Visa rebate card from the dealer/installer. So much for customer service.

bobmcd625 21-12-2016 06:32

All very interesting as I just bought the Zeus2 7 with 3G radar bundle. Got it home to discover no built in WiFi and only one ethernet port. So have to get the WiFi and network expander modules. But....there was a $500 rebate card (if it ever comes).
Have ordered the WiFi module but it is Simrad. Hope it works with the Zeus2 7.
Should suit my modest needs. Never can catch up with tech changes!

Spyderpig 31-12-2016 00:34

Thw WiFi module is an expensive option for what is just a normal WiFi router. I just cut the supplied Ethernet cable that goes from the Zeus to the 4G radar and put standard RJ45 connectors on then plugged into a $5 WiFi router and all the Go functions worked great and the radar. It also routed all the NMEA messages onto WiFi for use with your my tablet apps.

bobmcd625 31-12-2016 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyderpig (Post 2290983)
Thw WiFi module is an expensive option for what is just a normal WiFi router. I just cut the supplied Ethernet cable that goes from the Zeus to the 4G radar and put standard RJ45 connectors on then plugged into a $5 WiFi router and all the Go functions worked great and the radar. It also routed all the NMEA messages onto WiFi for use with your my tablet apps.

Pretty much as I suspected. Which router did you get? Where? What about a similar swap for the NEP-2 to connect several devices to the one Ethernet port on the Zeus2 7?
I am also looking at getting a Vulcan 5 which has built in WiFi. As it has no Ethernet port I realize that the WiFi would not handle radar, but would think that all other data on the N2K network would be available to connected iPads, etc. Comments?
B

Spyderpig 31-12-2016 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmcd625 (Post 2291186)
Pretty much as I suspected. Which router did you get? Where? What about a similar swap for the NEP-2 to connect several devices to the one Ethernet port on the Zeus2 7?
I am also looking at getting a Vulcan 5 which has built in WiFi. As it has no Ethernet port I realize that the WiFi would not handle radar, but would think that all other data on the N2K network would be available to connected iPads, etc. Comments?
B

From remember it was a TP link , not sure of the model. I have since upgraded to a MicroTik router.

Not sure about any other B&G products as I have no experience with them

Yeti 10-01-2017 18:20

For all those waiting on rebates....it takes a very long time.

I purchased the V5 last year when it had a rebate of a free insight chart chip. It took close to 4 months for the rebate to come through. If I remember correctly I bought the unit in April and finally received the rebate item in September.

deluxe68 11-01-2017 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeti (Post 2300475)

I purchased the V5 last year when it had a rebate of a free insight chart chip. It took close to 4 months for the rebate to come through. If I remember correctly I bought the unit in April and finally received the rebate item in September.

The Dealer/Installer who put mine in never gave me any receipts or cartons so I could not submit the rebate. I would not mind so much if their labor rate was not insane. I think they just take the material cost and double it. They also charge more than the list price for the parts.

bobmcd625 12-01-2017 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeti (Post 2300475)

How do you like the V5? How about the Insight charts now that you have them? I just bought the V5 and have to send in the rebate form. Wish me luck!

bobmcd625 15-01-2017 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyderpig (Post 2290983)

Well, I have already bought the WiFi module and am about to install it. How critical is the location in order to assure good coverage throughout the boat. Obviously if it were set in plain sight, say, over the chart table that would give clear signals, but all the cables would get in the way of daily life. If it is under the chart table, where I plan to put it, will that be good enough?
I now see that a second module is needed if one wants to be connected to the internet and run the local Wi Fi network at the same time. How much would one need to do that?

wrwakefield 15-01-2017 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmcd625 (Post 2303811)
Well, I have already bought the WiFi module and am about to install it. How critical is the location in order to assure good coverage throughout the boat. Obviously if it were set in plain sight, say, over the chart table that would give clear signals, but all the cables would get in the way of daily life. If it is under the chart table, where I plan to put it, will that be good enough?
I now see that a second module is needed if one wants to be connected to the internet and run the local Wi Fi network at the same time. How much would one need to do that?

I installed our WiFi1 unit under the deck in front of the lower helm station, in a cabinet. It serves our entire boat well [43 ft ketch] including tablet remotes in the cockpit and on deck.

Before installing it, I moved it around the boat a bit to test signal strength from various potential mounting positions.

Edit: I also have no issues bridging it with our outside mounted WiriePro router.

Best wishes finding a good location you can live with.

Cheers! Bill

bobmcd625 15-01-2017 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrwakefield (Post 2303999)
I installed our WiFi1 unit under the deck in front of the lower helm station, in a cabinet. It serves our entire boat well [43 ft ketch] including tablet remotes in the cockpit and on deck.

Before installing it, I moved it around the boat a bit to test signal strength from various potential mounting positions.

Edit: I also have no issues bridging it with our outside mounted WiriePro router.

Best wishes finding a good location you can live with.

Cheers! Bill

Glad I asked! Now I'll look for a good spot further away from the electric wires under the chart table. Maybe on the side of the quarter berth which does not get much traffic. Could you expand on the use of the "bridging" business? Is that to connect the boat's WiFi to the outside internet world? I guess your Wire Pro router serves a similar function to a second WiFi-1. Does that make sense?
Thanks so much Bill.

wrwakefield 19-01-2017 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmcd625 (Post 2304229)
Glad I asked! Now I'll look for a good spot further away from the electric wires under the chart table. Maybe on the side of the quarter berth which does not get much traffic. Could you expand on the use of the "bridging" business? Is that to connect the boat's WiFi to the outside internet world? I guess your Wire Pro router serves a similar function to a second WiFi-1. Does that make sense?
Thanks so much Bill.

Hi Bob,

Regarding bridging the WiFi1 to the Wirie [or any WiFi router for that matter...] It means I 'join' the WiFi1 from the Wirie when I want to broadcast WiFi1 data around the boat using the centralized WiFi system [WiriePro in our case...]

I mentioned it in my last post mainly to reinforce that the signal from the WiFi1 [buried in a wiring cabinet amidships] is strong enough to subscribe the WiriePro [which is above the bimini...]

Example use case: I sometimes bridge the two systems when guests are aboard. That way they can view the main navigation system from their mobile devices [view only, no control...] see other NMEA data, etc. via our 'Guest' network [a sub-WLAN on the Wirie WiFi router...]

That way they just have to connect to one WiFi source, and we control what they can see/do via that source. [e.g., When we have cell or WiFi access from land, we might switche to that so they can use the internet as well... but not both WiFi1 and internet simultaneously...]

I should mention any mobile devices we are using to control the MFD are directly connected to the WiFi1 to eliminate the latency introduced when broadcasting via the centralized router.

I do not subscribe the WiriePro to the Wifi1 to get the WiFi1 on to the internet, as there is no reason in our case. [With our Zeus Touch MFD, all updates are performed through the MFD using the memory card.] That is changing with some of the more recent releases. [e.g., Zeus3 has built-in WiFi and can download updates directly from the internet...]

I hope this helps explain what I meant by 'bridging' [looseley used in this context...] the two WiFi sources...

Cheers! Bill

bobmcd625 19-01-2017 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrwakefield (Post 2307280)
Hi Bob,

Regarding bridging the WiFi1 to the Wirie [or any WiFi router for that matter...] It means I 'join' the WiFi1 from the Wirie when I want to broadcast WiFi1 data around the boat using the centralized WiFi system [WiriePro in our case...]

I hope this helps explain what I meant by 'bridging' [looseley used in this context...] the two WiFi sources...

Cheers! Bill

Hi Bill
Yes, that certainly does help, but also opens my eyes to the Wirie world of which I had been totally ignorant. I'll continue to educate myself on that subject although at first glance I don't expect to jump on board. In my case I plan to have a Vulcan 5 (which does have built in WiFi) as well as a Zeus2 7 (which requires the WiFi-1). I expect that I'll turn off the V5's WiFi and rely on the Z27 plus WiFi-1 to enable mirroring the Zeus display on an iPad (or similar device). I should be able to get updates for the Zeus over the internet (when I am close to an external WiFi network). Perhaps I can do the same with the V5 if I switch off the WiFi-1. Any comments?

bobmcd625 21-01-2017 14:26

Hi Bill and others...
Would it work to use the built-in Wi Fi capability of a Vulcan 5 as the only WiFi access point on a N2K network with data from GPS, Water, Wind and AIS (via a Simrad RS35 VHF radio) with a Zeus2 7 MFD as the main display unit in the cockpit. The main purpose of the Wi Fi would be to mirror the display(s) of the Vulcan 5 and, hopefully, the Zeus2 7 on one or more iPads or similar devices. Eventually I will install 3G radar and understand that the radar images would not show on an iPad since the V5 does not have Ethernet capability.
The driving force to do this is to keep things simple: no WiFi-1 and no NEP-2 to buy and install. Maybe an odd ball way of doing things, but no harm in exploring.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

bobmcd625 23-01-2017 09:23

Hello again.
A companion question to my post above is: Could one use "domestic" wi-fi/Ethernet devices such as access points and Ethernet switches instead of the expensive Navico products WiFi-1 and/or NEP-2. I can see two main differences which may well be show stoppers: The Navico products are weather protected and run on a boat's 12/24 v power system. "Domestic" devices will not be weather protected and run on 110/120/220 v systems. The voltage problem could be overcome by an inverter, and one could take measures to protect the devices from water, but apart from these factors are there technical reasons why the domestic devices would not work?
Thanks in advance.

Spyderpig 23-01-2017 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmcd625 (Post 2310050)
Hello again.
A companion question to my post above is: Could one use "domestic" wi-fi/Ethernet devices such as access points and Ethernet switches instead of the expensive Navico products WiFi-1 and/or NEP-2. I can see two main differences which may well be show stoppers: The Navico products are weather protected and run on a boat's 12/24 v power system. "Domestic" devices will not be weather protected and run on 110/120/220 v systems. The voltage problem could be overcome by an inverter, and one could take measures to protect the devices from water, but apart from these factors are there technical reasons why the domestic devices would not work?
Thanks in advance.

Well, to my knowledge, most domestic devices run off DC and many are 12 volt. I can only speak from my personal experience but the equipment bay where it is installed would only get wet under extreme circumstances. Mine has worked for the last 2 1/2 years perfectly.

bobmcd625 23-01-2017 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyderpig (Post 2310079)
Well, to my knowledge, most domestic devices run off DC and many are 12 volt. I can only speak from my personal experience but the equipment bay where it is installed would only get wet under extreme circumstances. Mine has worked for the last 2 1/2 years perfectly.

Duh!!! Of course...that's why they have a little black box in the power line.
I agree that in a protected location there should be little risk of direct water ingress. Damp air would go through, of course.
Which "domestic" devices do you have?
Thanks for your help.
Bob

Spyderpig 23-01-2017 09:58

I use a MikroTic RB951Ui-2HnD. No sign of deterioration of any of the contacts unlike my laptop which I have to replace yearly, I suppose it is far more exposed.

indimini 23-01-2017 15:53

I am installing a BrainBoxes SW005 along with the Digital Yachts iKconnect with their WL70 antenna. The iKconnect is a commercial mini AP with firmware designed to ease installation of the wifi antenna. Prices on the SW-005 are around $35 USD. I got the iKconnect with my iKommunicate kickstarter for $100. Definitely cheaper than Go Free WiFi with more functionality and reasonably hardened.

bobmcd625 23-01-2017 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by indimini (Post 2310415)
I am installing a BrainBoxes SW005 along with the Digital Yachts iKconnect with their WL70 antenna. The iKconnect is a commercial mini AP with firmware designed to ease installation of the wifi antenna. Prices on the SW-005 are around $35 USD. I got the iKconnect with my iKommunicate kickstarter for $100. Definitely cheaper than Go Free WiFi with more functionality and reasonably hardened.

Very interesting!!! You have opened my eyes to a new world of on board boat comms. Not too sure that I can absorb all this geeky stuff, but it sure is interesting. I can see that the SW-005 ($50) is a good candidate to replace the NEP-2 ($250), but where did you get the iKonnect for $100. Digital Yacht list this for $250. The only issue I can see with the SW-005 is the connecting cables are standard Cat 5 with RJ 45 connectors while the Navico gear have a different configuration. Are there ready made adaptors?
In any case, many thanks for opening this window.
Fair winds
Bob

indimini 23-01-2017 19:01

I got the iKconnect at that price as part of the kickstarter deal for the iKommunicate. The thing is, the hardware used by the iKconnect can be found for $50-100, but won't come pre-configured with the firmware Digital Yacht provides. I'll pull the name of the hardware for comparison as soon as I can find it.

Yes, Navico sells adapters to go from their connector to a standard RJ-45 female connector. There are also numerous sources that describe the wire pattern that makes it easy to wire directly to a RJ-45 male connector.

Three Sisters 23-01-2017 19:34

1 Attachment(s)
This is not related to the specific equipment but directed at the mounting equipment portion of the discussion. Incorporating one of these would be nice for centralizing the onboard communication equipment. A 12 volt bus could also be included in the enclosure. There are many variations. This is but one, a 6U maybe the size of a small microwave. I would want an air filter to clean the incoming cooling air.

Attachment 140020

This is one of the many vendors.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16816129056

Kinda nifty huh? A rackmount for your boat ! :popcorn:

SecondBase 24-01-2017 07:22

Thanks for that earlier post - Forward scan is on my wishlist !!

bobmcd625 26-01-2017 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by indimini (Post 2310415)

I am about to order a BrainBoxes SW005 to use in stead of the Navico NEP-2 at less that 1/5th the cost! Did you, or will you take precautions against moisture ingress at the ports? I would think that at least any unused ports should be covered with some tape, maybe the power connections too.
Thanks again for this tip.
Bob
:whistling: