Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marine Electronics (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   B&G Zeus 3 (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/b-and-g-zeus-3-a-175926.html)

ErBrown 17-11-2016 09:29

B&G Zeus 3
 
Looks like they finally announce the latest Zeus update (Zeus 3).

Still hunting for details and availability info but so far looks like they finally integrated wireless and of course faster and more responsive.

I'm very interested as we're getting very close to purchasing our electronics. If you see any additional details please post them below.

Zeusł

-EB

ErBrown 18-11-2016 06:45

Re: B&G Zeus 3
 
In addition to native wireless and bluetooth support, it looks like it adds native support for forward scan sonar without the need to the $500 sonar hub.

Zeusł 9

fallingeggs 18-11-2016 08:13

Re: B&G Zeus 3
 
They don't have the manual for the Zeus3 up yet, so it is hard to say what all is different. When you click on the Zeus3, it just brings you to the Zeus2. Silly.

From the pictures and video, the software seems to be the same as the Zeus2. Maybe a higher definition screen (including a 16'' version) with better touch sensitivity. Definitely has more buttons.

The integrated wifi is a slight improvement. It may make it difficult to get GoFree and internet to work on the same network. This, for the Zeus2, required bridging the wifi-1 with another router, which may not be possible with the integrated wifi of the Zeus3. I bet you still need to run an ethernet cable for the radar.

Makes me a little jealous as I just got my Zeus2 in the mail a few weeks ago; although, for only $900, I'm still happy overall.

fallingeggs 18-11-2016 08:33

Re: B&G Zeus 3
 
fwiw...

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: METS 2016: Navico, Fusion, Airmar and Signal K

Saltyhog 18-11-2016 08:39

Re: B&G Zeus 3
 
A bit more detail at Panbo. Simrad Evo3 and B&G Zeus3

There is a bit more screen resolution which I think was needed. At the Annapolis show this year, I thought the B&G MFDs resolution looked bad compared next to a Garmin MFD of similar size. A small screen works okay if there is enough resolution.

They've also introduced a browser based mechanism for configuration. I think this is smart.

My hope is that MARPA is now fixed and actually "works", although I'm not sure if that activity is performed in the MFD or the RADAR dome.

Time will tell if Navico is still releasing products for testing by their customers or if they are now shipping a finished and fully tested device. My hope is for the latter as from what I've seen so far, the 9" Zeus3 (along with their RADAR, instruments, and AP) would be a good fit for me.

ErBrown 18-11-2016 08:41

Re: B&G Zeus 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallingeggs (Post 2260352)

Thanks FallingEggs, good stuff. Nice to see the support for viewing predict wind files directly on the plotter, that should be handy...omce we have predict wind coverage.

fallingeggs 18-11-2016 08:55

Re: B&G Zeus 3
 
I'm not sure what to make of the webpage do-dad. Panbo says it can be used to configure a H5000 CPU, which I doubt is applicable to most uses of a Zeus. Maybe it will have future benefits beyond my ability to imagine?

On the radar/marpa, I think that is the dome's job, or at least the interface box that is between the dome and the Zeus. Either way, I don't think the function can be improved by updating the Zeus's software.

On Predictwind, this is already a function of the Zeus2, it just requires the wifi-1. It was in a software update somewhere along the way.

navman 18-11-2016 11:10

Re: B&G Zeus 3
 
Well, as most of us don't have any real need for forward scan, the only real improvement appears to be the integrated wifi, which is probably cheaper for them to manufacture as opposed to a stand alone unit. That was, in all likelihood, a cost savings measure on their part. Less tooling, etc.

The screen on the Zeus3 12" is actually LOWER resolution than the Zeus2, so this is in my opinion a step backwards.

The screen itself may be a tad brighter, but they have reduced the total pixel count of the display by over 400,000, which is a reduction of over 1/3 the resolution!!!!

The predictwind feature was, as mentioned, already available to Z2 owners.

I can't really see this as a step forward. I'm happy to pay $199 for the wifi module (which you can typically get tossed in for free) and just take the rebate they are offering on the Zeus2. You're miles ahead.

Not an upgrade in my book. Like most things these days, the new model is a downgrade.

Saltyhog 18-11-2016 13:05

Re: B&G Zeus 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by navman (Post 2260458)
Well, as most of us don't have any real need for forward scan, the only real improvement appears to be the integrated wifi, which is probably cheaper for them to manufacture as opposed to a stand alone unit. That was, in all likelihood, a cost savings measure on their part. Less tooling, etc.

The screen on the Zeus3 12" is actually LOWER resolution than the Zeus2, so this is in my opinion a step backwards.

The screen itself may be a tad brighter, but they have reduced the total pixel count of the display by over 400,000, which is a reduction of over 1/3 the resolution!!!!

The predictwind feature was, as mentioned, already available to Z2 owners.

I can't really see this as a step forward. I'm happy to pay $199 for the wifi module (which you can typically get tossed in for free) and just take the rebate they are offering on the Zeus2. You're miles ahead.

Not an upgrade in my book. Like most things these days, the new model is a downgrade.


Not sure where you got your resolution numbers from. The links on the B&G site to the specifics on the Zeus3 models all take you to the old 7" Zeus2 models. If you look on the Simrad site, the 12" Evo3 has the same resolution as the Evo2. Smaller models do seem to have increased resolution a bit.

indimini 18-11-2016 13:22

Re: B&G Zeus 3
 
NSS9 evo3 specs show screen resolution is 720 x 1280, B&G Zeus2 9" resolution is 480 x 800. The NSS7 evo3 shows a smaller increase in screen resolution from 480 x 800 to 600 x 1024.

That is definitely a nice improvement in screen resolutions, but otherwise, the feature set looks like it can be mirrored with Zeus 2 addons.

navman 18-11-2016 14:06

Re: B&G Zeus 3
 
Had not looked at the small ones, but the 12" is, according to the website, lower:

Z2 1280x800
Z3 1024x600

At least according to:

Zeusł 12

Dave_S 18-11-2016 16:44

Re: B&G Zeus 3
 
I went to the b&g guy and he had an email Friday that said he should have stock in February.

Same price as the 2 but the 2 is now discounted. Not to $900 though. That was a good buy!

Dave_S 18-11-2016 16:52

Re: B&G Zeus 3
 
He also said that the touch screen when wet problem is fixed.

Not sure if the old one could do this but it will have hdmi to output to another screen, like a tv so you can have a bigger display, good for me.

Saltyhog 24-11-2016 18:15

Re: B&G Zeus 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by navman (Post 2260554)
Had not looked at the small ones, but the 12" is, according to the website, lower:

Z2 1280x800
Z3 1024x600

At least according to:

Zeusł 12


Something's not right with at least one of Navico's websites. Simrad and B&G share their hardware platforms. That's a smart thing for them to do so I'd be surprised if they changed that practice. Simrad site says the 12" is 1280 x 800. My guess is that the B&G site is incorrect.

CAELESTIS 24-11-2016 18:20

Re: B&G Zeus 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltyhog (Post 2264975)
Something's not right with at least one of Navico's websites. Simrad and B&G share their hardware platforms. That's a smart thing for them to do so I'd be surprised if they changed that practice. Simrad site says the 12" is 1280 x 800. My guess is that the B&G site is incorrect.

Agreed. B&G website is woefully lacking information. I have a Z2 and will be upgrading (so anyone that wants a great deal on a barely used Z2 12in, save my PM address)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:14.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.