Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Construction, Maintenance & Refit (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat. (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/free-formosa-41-ketch-project-boat-171159.html)

Vino the Dog 15-08-2016 20:45

Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
1 Attachment(s)
Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
I have no interest in this boat other than helping an 80 year old woman whose husband died before he could complete it try to find someone to take it and hopefully finish the project.
Here is the link to the full set of photos;
FreeFormosa

zeehag 16-08-2016 08:27

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
wow helluvan opportunity to gain a heavy cruising boat and learn it all -- putting this together would be fun.
i hope it finds a good home. it IS a good home, with a lil help from a human.
these things are excellent heavy long range sail cruisers
looks as if it even has spars--can see em in background--they are painted white..

SV THIRD DAY 16-08-2016 09:18

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
I think you mean a hell of an opportunity to end a marriage and go broke before every splashing her...ha ha ha. The story of the guy dying before he finished his dream is as old as Boating/Cruising. The dream of restoring an old boat isn't the same dream as going Cruising. It's still a fun dream...but oftentimes a Free Boat will cost you everything you have.

m2244 16-08-2016 09:24

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Nice of you to help her. Good luck!

zeehag 16-08-2016 15:09

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
ye gotta admit these hulls are damnstrong.. mine was left laid over on a breakwall in earliest 000's, and no sign of that despite laying on that breakwall in santa barbara for a week.
solid well built despite rumors and bashing by those who never had them
only 747 pointsinto winnd succssfully.
heavy ketch--awesome comfort at sea, aand designed to sail tradewinds. smoooth in winds over 20 mph

LLCoolDave 16-08-2016 15:49

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
The OP is honest on his website and says this is a 5 year project if you work on it full time for 5 years and if you are a craftsman. If you have a full time job and work on it afterwards it will take 10 years and it will probably end a marriage. lol So if you have 5 years free and $50k come get this boat! At least it doesn't have teak decks.

darylat8750 16-08-2016 16:20

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Good on ya Vino for helping her out. I hope a good home is found.

Orion Jim 16-08-2016 18:01

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
"The engine does not look bad at all" etc.
Did the engine take offense to being photographed while it was bathing? Might just be a mirage but it looks to be sitting in water half way up the crank pulley.

Vino the Dog 21-08-2016 20:21

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion Jim (Post 2190931)
"The engine does not look bad at all" etc.
Did the engine take offense to being photographed while it was bathing? Might just be a mirage but it looks to be sitting in water half way up the crank pulley.

Look at where it is sitting! How could it be "sitting in water half way up the crank pulley" when the nearest water is 100 feet below the ground surface of a dry field?

It's always fully expected that most people on internet forums who claim knowledge but have little experience are quick to ridicule. It is equally true that most people who take on such projects fail to complete them, but not all of us. There are many who love the work itself as much as sailing. Those of us who love both and realistically have the skills for both get both.

Thanks, the rest of you how see it as a good thing for the right person.

zeehag 21-08-2016 22:02

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion Jim (Post 2190931)
"The engine does not look bad at all" etc.
Did the engine take offense to being photographed while it was bathing? Might just be a mirage but it looks to be sitting in water half way up the crank pulley.

does not look like water to me--looks like some haziness in pic, but no water.

Vino the Dog 23-08-2016 18:42

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Zee, it's residual water and a bit of oil on the cabin sole in front of the engine. I would bet a bottle of rum that it runs.

zeehag 23-08-2016 19:07

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
these boats are wonderful puzzles. easily returned to decency and fun to sail.
they seem to like a little water in bilges,and thrive on attention.

daw_two 24-08-2016 08:57

IF........
 
IF this were 2023, and my 12 year old daughter was settled in some big city college.....


.........and that was a big IF ......

I hope an offer comes along like this 7 years from now. Maybe the same boat will "almost" be finished and need a new owner.

A guy can dream, right???

:biggrin:

zeehag 24-08-2016 09:53

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
daw, now is perfect-- enlist daughter to assist the refit and launch and daysail with her...she willloe it. younger they start the better it is ..more funner...
plans are meant to be broken

Orion Jim 24-08-2016 18:27

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vino the Dog (Post 2194540)
Look at where it is sitting! How could it be "sitting in water half way up the crank pulley" when the nearest water is 100 feet below the ground surface of a dry field?

It's always fully expected that most people on internet forums who claim knowledge but have little experience are quick to ridicule. It is equally true that most people who take on such projects fail to complete them, but not all of us. There are many who love the work itself as much as sailing. Those of us who love both and realistically have the skills for both get both.

Thanks, the rest of you how see it as a good thing for the right person.

The bilge appears to be full of water and the picture of the engine shows the water level is half way up the crank pulley. No one said the entire boat was sunk and the water level was up to the crank pulley.:popcorn: :banghead:

stillbuilding 24-08-2016 19:57

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion Jim (Post 2196851)
The bilge appears to be full of water and the picture of the engine shows the water level is half way up the crank pulley. No one said the entire boat was sunk and the water level was up to the crank pulley.:popcorn: :banghead:


Rain?


Sent from my iPhone

Ryan H 24-08-2016 22:42

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion Jim (Post 2196851)
The bilge appears to be full of water and the picture of the engine shows the water level is half way up the crank pulley. No one said the entire boat was sunk and the water level was up to the crank pulley.:popcorn: :banghead:

I know these boats pretty well... In fact I'm sitting in a Formosa 41 right now. In order for the crank to be touching water at all there would have to be over three feet of water in the bilge, and the floorboards would have to be under about two to three inches of water (doesn't look like it floor boards are floating in the pictures).

There's a plug two thirds of the way forward on the starboard side of the hull, you can just make it out in two of the pictures shown. With the plug pulled the bilge can collect about a maximum of six or so inches of water, it would have to be about two feet higher than that to even reach the oil tray under the engine. In all fairness, I can't quite see if the plug has been pulled but I can't for the life of me think of a reason it wouldn't be, especially if it's been worked on, or even stepped foot in while it's been on the hard.

That engine is a Perkins 4108, nothing short of severe corrosion kills those things... That one looks pretty nice going by the pictures too.

Great looking boat, if I wasn't already so heavily invested in mine I'd be tempted to take a crack at her. She'll take years to make her perfect, but you could probably have her fit enough to splash pretty quick if you focused on the Hull and rig.


Sent from my C6730 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bill Seal 25-08-2016 00:07

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Good Lord
It's a good thing Slocum didn't come here for advice before starting on Spray.:whistling:

daw_two 25-08-2016 08:46

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeehag (Post 2196457)
daw, now is perfect-- enlist daughter to assist the refit and launch and daysail with her...she willloe it. younger they start the better it is ..more funner...
plans are meant to be broken

If my daughter's mother was willing, you know I would. :whistling:

Celestialsailor 25-08-2016 09:45

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY (Post 2190583)
I think you mean a hell of an opportunity to end a marriage and go broke before every splashing her...ha ha ha. The story of the guy dying before he finished his dream is as old as Boating/Cruising. The dream of restoring an old boat isn't the same dream as going Cruising. It's still a fun dream...but oftentimes a Free Boat will cost you everything you have.


Ahhh... another positive word from the gallery.:thumb:

Celestialsailor 25-08-2016 09:48

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Seal (Post 2197004)
Good Lord
It's a good thing Slocum didn't come here for advice before starting on Spray.:whistling:

No kidding. More excuses why they can't do something then why they can.

SV THIRD DAY 25-08-2016 09:52

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Celestialsailor (Post 2197219)
Ahhh... another positive word from the gallery.:thumb:

Truth is neither positive or negative...it just is what is.
Now, how you deal with Truth is what makes it a Positive or a Negative.
As someone currently refitting another William Garden designed boat, I know a thing or two about refitting a similar aged/type of boat.

Celestialsailor 25-08-2016 09:55

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Hey Vino...thanks for trying to keep another boat alive. It looks like she is very restorable. I'm not sure if you have tried craigslist San Francisco but I know there are a lot of low dollar people that would jump at the chance to get that vessel.

Celestialsailor 25-08-2016 09:59

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY (Post 2197228)
Truth is neither positive or negative...it just is what is.
Now, how you deal with Truth is what makes it a Positive or a Negative.

Nice try Rich. Depending on the individual(s) restoring it, the outcomes vary. You just pick the most negative scenario, as you do and call it truth.
I hope someone with a positive outlook on life will acquire this boat and realize their dream.

SV THIRD DAY 25-08-2016 10:10

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Celestialsailor (Post 2197242)
Nice try Rich. Depending on the individual(s) restoring it, the outcomes vary. You just pick the most negative scenario, as you do and call it truth.
I hope someone with a positive outlook on life will acquire this boat and realize their dream.

It's poor form to carry beefs from another thread into a new one, so I apologize to the other Thread readers that are having to see/deal with this....but hey if that's the "Rich is Negative" meme you want to play, go right ahead amigo, but it's pretty tacky and demeans you.

You won't find a more positive, go now, go for it, guy than me, that's why I had to issue the warning. Part of what let me retire at 38 and go cruising and now liveaboard is also what makes me not ******** things and speak Truth and Reality. And as the line goes "Some people can't handle the truth". Having a positive outlook on life won't get this boat floating or cruising again...that will take money and time (lots of both) and lying to people doesn't help them reach their Dream...it crushes them when they could have bought at Catalina 30 for less than the cost of transporting this Boat and been heading South tomorrow.

zeehag 25-08-2016 10:30

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
rich is realistic. he and i are restoring our anteek garden ketches.
the free one will take from 1 full full time year to forever to fix up depending on the individual obtaining her.

SV THIRD DAY 25-08-2016 10:36

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeehag (Post 2197272)
rich is realistic. he and i are restoring our anteek garden ketches.
the free one will take from 1 full full time year to forever to fix up depending on the individual obtaining her.

'

Doable yes...
Realistic for 99.47% of people in my mind no...
But my opinion on the matter is worth what it is costing....nothing.

Celestialsailor 25-08-2016 12:48

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY (Post 2197253)
It's poor form to carry beefs from another thread into a new one, so I apologize to the other Thread readers that are having to see/deal with this....but hey if that's the "Rich is Negative" meme you want to play, go right ahead amigo, but it's pretty tacky and demeans you.

You won't find a more positive, go now, go for it, guy than me, that's why I had to issue the warning. Part of what let me retire at 38 and go cruising and now liveaboard is also what makes me not ******** things and speak Truth and Reality. And as the line goes "Some people can't handle the truth". Having a positive outlook on life won't get this boat floating or cruising again...that will take money and time (lots of both) and lying to people doesn't help them reach their Dream...it crushes them when they could have bought at Catalina 30 for less than the cost of transporting this Boat and been heading South tomorrow.

It's not about any other thread Rich...I'm not trying to be vindictive. It's the negativity I was addressing. And true, the negativity was evident on the thread you were referring to. There are a dozen of ways of showing the pitfalls of taking on a project like this. There are also rewards. Ever think of that? I have built 3 steel sailboats from the ground up...2 of my own. I chainsawed the interior out of a 34ft F/G sailboat that was abandoned in the desert outside of Barstow..a 3 year project. Even my current vessel was a 2 year refit.
I think instead of dropping the divorce bomb on readers, it might be a kinder way by saying 'In a relationship, one or the other might loose interest in the dream and it may take work on the relationship as well as work on the boat to achieve the dream'. You see...that wasn't hard was it?

SV THIRD DAY 25-08-2016 12:52

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
You do it your way...I'll do it my way.
No problem in that....or is there....

Cheechako 25-08-2016 12:58

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Good strong hulls. but those cabins/decks etc are rife with rotted plywood on many of those. Be careful, it could be a project that never ends. With that version that has the "notched" cabin top, I love the layout of that interior, IIRC, it has a head access door from the main salon. If it is a later one it could have normal molded fiberglass deck/cabintops, but they are somewhat rare I think.

Celestialsailor 25-08-2016 13:06

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY (Post 2197376)
You do it your way...I'll do it my way.
No problem in that....or is there....

Not at all. I enjoy the forum, this thread and the lively debates that go on here. Since we are, to an extent self policing, I take it upon myself to point out something that can be seen as counterproductive and express my views on that as well as the topic at hand.:flowers:

SV THIRD DAY 25-08-2016 13:56

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Thanks for playing Yard Duty Monitor, I'll remember that the next time I need to get a hall pass...ha ha ah

Celestialsailor 25-08-2016 17:11

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY (Post 2197426)
Thanks for playing Yard Duty Monitor, I'll remember that the next time I need to get a hall pass...ha ha ah

Hey Rich...that was almost positive. You're getting there

Davidhoy 25-08-2016 18:42

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Can you two quit bickering at each other, it's getting tiresome!


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Sailmonkey 25-08-2016 19:21

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan H (Post 2196976)

That engine is a Perkins 4108, nothing short of severe corrosion kills those things... That one looks pretty nice going by the pictures too.



Sent from my C6730 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app


That's the most yanmar looking Perkins I've ever seen. The nameplate on top sort of gives it away, as well as the bolted on cover on the intake manifold.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Celestialsailor 25-08-2016 19:41

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidhoy (Post 2197585)
Can you two quit bickering at each other, it's getting tiresome!


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

I see you have been here a whole month. Rich & I have been here 10 years. I respect Rich for his knowledge of boat system and his insight on other topics. We don't need to agree on everything. It would be a dull forum if everyone did. Hopefully after awhile you'll see it's no big deal here. Rich and I have met and conversed at boat shows.

Celestialsailor 25-08-2016 19:48

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
As far as the engine goes, the rain water should not do it much harm unless it gets to the breather or air intake. Both of which are high up. Perhaps if the OP has access to it, pull the engine water intake hose, or lower thru-hull, open the valve which will the water to only fill that high.

CSY Man 25-08-2016 20:27

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
This free boat may be a perceived good deal for somebody. (Wow, free boat, let's roll, what can go wrong?)

On the other hand, some boats may be a negative value.
(Cost more to fix than what it is, or will be worth.)

I would not touch it with a ten foot pole.
So much easier to get a floating boat ready to sail and after every thing is said and done, cheaper in the long run.

markwesti 25-08-2016 20:34

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
It's really amazing how peeps' can get so picky . You are the man Vino .

Davidhoy 25-08-2016 20:39

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Celestialsailor (Post 2197615)
I see you have been here a whole month. Rich & I have been here 10 years. I respect Rich for his knowledge of boat system and his insight on other topics. We don't need to agree on everything. It would be a dull forum if everyone did. Hopefully after awhile you'll see it's no big deal here. Rich and I have met and conversed at boat shows.


True, I've only been active here for a short while, and for the most part I've been impressed with the civil tone of the various threads. That's why I was surprised to see two people picking at each other - go back and read what you guys wrote. I certainly am not here to pick a fight, and if I offended you then please accept my apologies. I'm glad you respect each other, but realize how your tone, at least in this thread, can give the wrong impression.

-David


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:23.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.