Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Construction, Maintenance & Refit (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat. (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/free-formosa-41-ketch-project-boat-171159.html)

Celestialsailor 25-08-2016 12:06

Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY (Post 2197376)
You do it your way...I'll do it my way.
No problem in that....or is there....

Not at all. I enjoy the forum, this thread and the lively debates that go on here. Since we are, to an extent self policing, I take it upon myself to point out something that can be seen as counterproductive and express my views on that as well as the topic at hand.:flowers:

SV THIRD DAY 25-08-2016 12:56

Thanks for playing Yard Duty Monitor, I'll remember that the next time I need to get a hall pass...ha ha ah

Celestialsailor 25-08-2016 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY (Post 2197426)
Thanks for playing Yard Duty Monitor, I'll remember that the next time I need to get a hall pass...ha ha ah

Hey Rich...that was almost positive. You're getting there

Davidhoy 25-08-2016 17:42

Can you two quit bickering at each other, it's getting tiresome!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Sailmonkey 25-08-2016 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan H (Post 2196976)

That engine is a Perkins 4108, nothing short of severe corrosion kills those things... That one looks pretty nice going by the pictures too.

Sent from my C6730 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

That's the most yanmar looking Perkins I've ever seen. The nameplate on top sort of gives it away, as well as the bolted on cover on the intake manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Celestialsailor 25-08-2016 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidhoy (Post 2197585)
Can you two quit bickering at each other, it's getting tiresome!

I see you have been here a whole month. Rich & I have been here 10 years. I respect Rich for his knowledge of boat system and his insight on other topics. We don't need to agree on everything. It would be a dull forum if everyone did. Hopefully after awhile you'll see it's no big deal here. Rich and I have met and conversed at boat shows.

Celestialsailor 25-08-2016 18:48

As far as the engine goes, the rain water should not do it much harm unless it gets to the breather or air intake. Both of which are high up. Perhaps if the OP has access to it, pull the engine water intake hose, or lower thru-hull, open the valve which will the water to only fill that high.

CSY Man 25-08-2016 19:27

This free boat may be a perceived good deal for somebody. (Wow, free boat, let's roll, what can go wrong?)

On the other hand, some boats may be a negative value.
(Cost more to fix than what it is, or will be worth.)

I would not touch it with a ten foot pole.
So much easier to get a floating boat ready to sail and after every thing is said and done, cheaper in the long run.

markwesti 25-08-2016 19:34

It's really amazing how peeps' can get so picky . You are the man Vino .

Davidhoy 25-08-2016 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celestialsailor (Post 2197615)
I see you have been here a whole month. Rich & I have been here 10 years. I respect Rich for his knowledge of boat system and his insight on other topics. We don't need to agree on everything. It would be a dull forum if everyone did. Hopefully after awhile you'll see it's no big deal here. Rich and I have met and conversed at boat shows.

True, I've only been active here for a short while, and for the most part I've been impressed with the civil tone of the various threads. That's why I was surprised to see two people picking at each other - go back and read what you guys wrote. I certainly am not here to pick a fight, and if I offended you then please accept my apologies. I'm glad you respect each other, but realize how your tone, at least in this thread, can give the wrong impression.

-David

Vino the Dog 22-09-2016 10:50

Hi Folks,
I haven't been watching this this thread lately 'cause working on my own CT-41 and because the boat now has a new owner. Jay has been working on it since about the second week I posted the offer. He is now full into it and has reorganized his life to get the project going.

I know a couple of you have already met Jay on other forums and are giving him your support. Thanks for that. So now possibly we can let the comments on if it is a deal for someone die, and replace them with ideas and our own experiences to help another guy energetic enough (yes, also crazy enough) to see this huge task to completion.

Rock on, Jay. Hope to see you on the water one of these days.

zeehag 22-09-2016 11:13

done in sections these projects are not so massive--one system at a time....

Vino the Dog 22-09-2016 11:20

Done with joy and a sense of accomplishment, we like that they are massive projects one system at a time.

Boatyarddog 22-09-2016 13:00

Don't know the scope of the project.
However if you don't check it out you'll never know, right?
These boats, as well as most, have there known flaws and difficulties.
It wouldn't be a project if it didn't.
Potentially, it's an awesome vessel.

Sent from SV Cloud Duster

Celestialsailor 22-09-2016 13:19

Maybe he'll post a couple of pictures here.