Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Construction, Maintenance & Refit (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   To My American Friends (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/to-my-american-friends-166606.html)

bytownboy 21-05-2016 20:22

To My American Friends

I along with the vast majority of Canadians feel privileged to share the many years of harmony that has been the hallmark of US/Canada relations for around two hundred years.

We have happily shared many of our greatest inventions with you. Insulin, the telephone, the light bulb, the zipper and poutine being just a few.

In return, I on behalf of my fellow countrymen have one request. Please, please adopt the Robertson Screw!!

I understand that you haven't got in line with the rest of the world and adopted the metric system. I still don't know my height or weight in metric, and my boat is 41 foot long, could care less what that is in metric. But dealing with phillips and slotted screws drives me bonkers!

Before I go, just a reminder - we also invented Basketball (go Raptors) and the Wonderbra!

Here's something the Republicans and Democrats can agree on - whoops sorry now I'm getting ridiculous. Too much Molsons Canadian with dinner again.

Doug

SV THIRD DAY 21-05-2016 20:30

Re: To My American Friends

As someone in the midst of a teak deck rip off that was dowe with slotted screws...

AMEN

But I do blame the Taiwanese for that...ha ha ha

Pelagic 21-05-2016 20:48

the dyslexic difference between a Canadian and an American

Cdn...Eh Man....USA....He Man
:D

DavidLGCrawford 21-05-2016 20:53

It's one of the only things that I can't find when travelling in the US. It's so frustrating.

Panope 21-05-2016 21:28

Been buying square drive screws in my town (Port Townsend WA) for the past 30 years.

Maybe it is because we are so close to the border. On a clear day, I can even see Canada, but not from my house.........

Steve

TurninTurtle 21-05-2016 21:32

We'd rather have 3 kinds of slotted, 27 kinds of "Phillips", Torx, "Hex key" and 23 kinds of "Tamper Proof"

are you trying to put those poor toolmakers out of business?

Paul L 21-05-2016 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurninTurtle (Post 2126229)
We'd rather have 3 kinds of slotted, 27 kinds of "Phillips", Torx, "Hex key" and 23 kinds of "Tamper Proof"

are you trying to put those poor toolmakers out of business?

Hay those Roberts/square heads come in a lot of sizes too -- and you can't fake it with the wrong size drive like you can with a plus or minus head driver:smile:

Stumble 21-05-2016 22:55

The continued use of slotted drive screws is proof that the devil exists. The continued use use of Phillips heads proves God hates me.

I use Roberts where I can and hex for everything else.

svmariane 21-05-2016 23:21

You can use a "plus" point screwdriver on a Robertson screw,

But you can't use a Robertson screwdriver on a "plus" point screw.

Versatility! Adaptability! :thumb:

Or as my wife says: "Will you please just get the job done!" :biggrin:

SailRedemption 22-05-2016 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY (Post 2126208)
As someone in the midst of a teak deck rip off that was dowe with slotted screws...

AMEN

But I do blame the Taiwanese for that...ha ha ha

At least they aren't Philips like mine were! Speaking of mine, I still have about 8 stripped screws I need to easyout...

Anything hardware related has been getting Allen/hex treatment because it's awesomely simple and foolproof. We used the square heads for ss deck screws at our marina a log time back, I found they would strip easier once the screw got hot going in. Nice fit though.

See more @ redemptiverepair.com

valhalla360 22-05-2016 02:01

For some strange reason, the RV industry has adopted them. About the only place they did in the states. Go to any hardware store and they will have some.

My understanding was Mr. Robertson got silly with his patent and killed an otherwise great idea as they are less prone to stripping.

aluijten 22-05-2016 02:14

Not to annoy the OP but I find Torx vastly superior to any of the alternatives. It seems most car manufacturers agree. These heads will break off the shaft off way before they strip. My second favourite is Pozidrive as that has the advantage of being self centering. Most important is you use the right tool/screwdriver for the job though.

nigelmercier 22-05-2016 04:35

You can get just about any of the available types in the UK

Except perhaps JIS B 1012, for which even getting a driver is hard.

Blue Stocking 22-05-2016 04:49

50+ years ago, Chris-Craft used bronze Robertson screws in their lapstrake Sea Skiffs. So did Thompson and Barbour Boats.

GordMay 22-05-2016 05:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Stocking (Post 2126327)
50+ years ago, Chris-Craft used bronze Robertson screws in their lapstrake Sea Skiffs. So did Thompson and Barbour Boats.

And Hatteras ➥ Hatteras Bits 1, 2 & 3 (Square)