Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f124/)
-   -   Source for gas can covers (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f124/source-for-gas-can-covers-166167.html)

Dave22q 14-05-2016 13:10

Source for gas can covers

Here in Florida the solar uv does a number on plastic fuel cans. I've lost several deck stored cans to delamination. Using some kind of cloth cover would eliminate this problem but I'm too lazy to make something by hand and too cheap to get something custom fabricated in a local canvas shop. I'm told there are uv resistant cans but the cost 3 or 4 times the price of the cheap ones and I'm not sure the claims are true and not just hyping a few extra years of like.. It seems like somebody should be selling prefabricated covers for $10 or so. Help.

SteveInMD 14-05-2016 13:18

Re: Source for gas can covers

I looked for one of these about a month ago but came up empty. I ended up going to my canvas shop. They sewed a nifty strap around three sides with a buckle so I can easily attach it to my rail.

s/v Jedi 14-05-2016 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave22q (Post 2120239)
Here in Florida the solar uv does a number on plastic fuel cans. I've lost several deck stored cans to delamination. Using some kind of cloth cover would eliminate this problem but I'm too lazy to make something by hand and too cheap to get something custom fabricated in a local canvas shop. I'm told there are uv resistant cans but the cost 3 or 4 times the price of the cheap ones and I'm not sure the claims are true and not just hyping a few extra years of like.. It seems like somebody should be selling prefabricated covers for $10 or so. Help.

You're too lazy and you're too cheap and now you want us to bring you covers for 10 bucks :thumb: :biggrin:

Stu Jackson 14-05-2016 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by s/v Jedi (Post 2120252)
You're too lazy and you're too cheap and now you want us to bring you covers for 10 bucks :thumb: :biggrin:

Isn't that what they call denial? :banghead::facepalm::smile::smile::smile:

Jim Cate 14-05-2016 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by s/v Jedi (Post 2120252)

ZAP!!!

Jim

paxfish 14-05-2016 15:02

Yard of decent fabric on ebay, and 30 mins sewing will get you there...

Otherwise, $40.

FSMike 14-05-2016 18:31

Go to WalMart and get the appropriately sized t-shirts in the color of your choice, or the appropriately sized pillow cases in the color of your choice, and a pair of scissors.
Replace every year or two.
Don't go to yacht clubs lol.

SV THIRD DAY 14-05-2016 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSMike (Post 2120464)
Go to WalMart and get the appropriately sized t-shirts in the color of your choice, or the appropriately sized pillow cases in the color of your choice, and a pair of scissors.
Replace every year or two.
Don't go to yacht clubs lol.

Bingo...
that is the standard outboard motor cover in Mexico.

s/v Jedi 14-05-2016 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY (Post 2120485)
Bingo...
that is the standard outboard motor cover in Mexico.

Indeed, we have a winner... and only $3 each! :smile:

deblen 15-05-2016 09:55

or barbecue cover

JPA Cate 15-05-2016 13:44

Nah, don't use the new T-shirts; use your cast-off ones, wear the new ones till they're ready for being cast-offs. Dark colors absorb more UV than light ones.

Ann

rwidman 15-05-2016 14:37

A pair of sweat pants would give you two covers. More if you can sew.

LooseGoose 15-05-2016 15:38

A pair of XXXl sweatpants will give you 2 covers AND 2 fender covers!!!!:smitten:

seabreez 15-05-2016 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate (Post 2121087)
Nah, don't use the new T-shirts; use your cast-off ones, wear the new ones till they're ready for being cast-offs. Dark colors absorb more UV than light ones.

Ann

This is getting better and cheaper all the time ... Thanks Ann

SV THIRD DAY 15-05-2016 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by seabreez (Post 2121249)
This is getting better and cheaper all the time ... Thanks Ann

That's the Cruiser Way...:smitten: