Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   OpenCPN (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/)
-   -   chart groups (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/chart-groups-160646.html)

Aart K. 05-02-2016 03:00

chart groups

I installed O 4.2 on my Windows 8.1 laptop. My laptop was a "virgin" because there was NO OpenCPN installed because I did a complete system-recovery!

Making Chart-groups does not work. When I click on "Apply" nothing happens.

Aart

Aart K. 05-02-2016 04:03

Re: chart groups

On my W7 Desktop no problems.

rgleason 05-02-2016 04:14

Aart

Do you click on "New Group" first?
Then add some charts
Then click on apply.

Also help is very easy, just follow the same menu selection as the program to find the help.
Options Setting | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Options Setting | Official OpenCPN Homepage

.Paul. 05-02-2016 05:04

Aart and Rick,

I have found that a chart group cannot be added for a chart directory (also called a folder) unless the chart database has been updated. So, when adding chart directories in a new installation of OpenCPN it is best to use Options>Charts>Chart Files to add the new chart directories. Then click "OK". After the update finishes, select Options>Charts>Chart Groups in order to add a New Group. Now, directories of charts or individual chart file can be added to the group.

Paul

rgleason 05-02-2016 07:22

Good Point Paul.

Quote:

A chart group cannot be added for a chart directory (also called a folder) unless the chart database has been updated.
1.First add chart directories in a new installation of OpenCPN using Options>Charts>Chart Files to "Add" the new chart directories. Then click "OK".
2. After the update finishes, select Options>Charts>Chart Groups in order to add a New Group.
Now, directories of charts or individual chart file can be added to the group.
Do you think the User Manual is now clearer about this?

Chart Groups Tab | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Please check this I just updated it.

Aart K. 05-02-2016 07:33

@Paul,

Thank you. This works!

Aart

.Paul. 05-02-2016 08:16

Rick,

I think you can replace this:
Quote:

A Chart Group cannot be added for a chart directory (also called a folder) unless the chart database has been updated.
1. First update the chart database.
2. Thent add chart directories in a new installation of OpenCPN using Options>Charts>Chart Files to Add the new chart directories. Then click OK. If there are no chart directories listed under All available charts you will not be able to add Chart Groups.
3. After the update finishes, select Options>Charts>Chart Groups in order to Add a New Group.
Now, directories of charts or individual chart file can be added to the group.
With this:
Quote:

If there are no chart directories listed under All available charts you will not be able to add Chart Groups. A newly added chart directory (also called a folder) cannot be added to a Chart Group unless the chart database has been updated.
If this is a new installation of OpenCPN, or if new chart directories need to be added, use Options>Charts>Chart Files or Options>Charts>Chart Downolader to Add the new chart directories. Then click OK to exit from Options and to Scan Charts and Update Database. After the update finishes, select Options>Charts>Chart Groups in order to Add a New Group. Now, directories of charts or individual chart file(s) can be added to the chart group(s).
Paul

rgleason 05-02-2016 10:04

Thanks Paul. It is changed now with links

Chart Groups Tab | Official OpenCPN Homepage

.Paul. 05-02-2016 10:15

Rick,

That looks good.

Paul