Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   OpenCPN (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/)
-   -   Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/chart-downloader-copying-charts-to-other-computer-159187.html)

petter5 10-01-2016 12:48

Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
I have a pc with a lot of charts downloaded with the chart downloader.

When copying the chart directory to another pc with opencpn, the charts works fine. When then going to the chart downloader to update the copied charts, the interface shows no catalogs. If trying to add a catalogue, you will se the chart catalogues and are able to choose, but opencpn is not aware of the copied charts even if they are located at the same (standard suggested) location as chartdownloader suggest. Any suggestion how to make chart downlaoder aware of the copied charts ??

rgleason 10-01-2016 15:25

Re: Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
Petter

Did you hit Update the Catalog first?
Is the path the same? No actually that should not matter.

rgleason 10-01-2016 15:46

Re: Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
Quote:

chart downloader .. the interface shows no catalogs.

If trying to add a catalog ..see the chart catalogues and are able to choose, but opencpn is not aware of the copied charts even if they are located at the same (standard suggested) location as chartdownloader suggest.

Any suggestion how to make chart downlaoder awareof the copied charts ??
I believe your opencpn.ini does not have the Chartdownloader settings section in it.

I have copied this section over from another computer and done a very careful search and replace to modify the pathnames for only that section of the ini and it has worked like a charm. But be careful, and save an opencpn.ini.old first!

Why would Chart Download have the catalogs and know the path structure when that information is on another computer?

Hope it works.

nohal 10-01-2016 16:44

Re: Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
Petter...
If you copy all your charts (including the chartdldr_pi.dat file in each of the chart folders, in which the update timestamps of the charts are stored and the catalog XML file) and configure the chart downloader to use these copied folders, it should work without any problem. If you copy just the charts, it won't.

Pavel

petter5 12-01-2016 12:07

Re: Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
I had to copy the chartdownloader ini settings from opencpn.ini also and all the copied charts displayed in the chartdownloader catalog window. I face another problem (4.1.1301 latest compiled from GIT raspberry pi) when I want to update the charts, the update fails and it seems that opencpn is not able to connect to internet. Interet is working on the Pi and I'm able to open the xml file in a browser window, but not able to download the xml from within the chartdownloader.

ac0rn 12-01-2016 17:18

Re: Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
Petter5 I am having your exact same problem as you with downloading the XML files. I'm on an Android tablet.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

rgleason 12-01-2016 17:32

Re: Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
Petter5 Perhaps you should just copy over the entire ini and modify it as necessary?

Please keep notes of what you have done and I will record them in the manual.

Connection to the internet is a different problem.
Does your browser work? - Probably not. Its a hardware problem or OS config problem.
Can you download a file with a browser?

ac0rn 12-01-2016 17:43

Re: Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
Rgleason, I am able to download via browser, as well as anything else that requires internet. Just not from within the plugin.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

petter5 15-01-2016 07:13

Re: Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgleason (Post 2014207)
Petter5 Perhaps you should just copy over the entire ini and modify it as necessary?

Please keep notes of what you have done and I will record them in the manual.

Connection to the internet is a different problem.
Does your browser work? - Probably not. Its a hardware problem or OS config problem.
Can you download a file with a browser?

Yes, I'm able to download the file with a browser and internet is fully operational but not chart downloader.

rgleason 15-01-2016 19:29

Re: Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
I've run out of suggestions. Sorry. Transmitter Dan, can you help?

Invictus69 15-01-2016 20:06

Re: Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by petter5 (Post 2011803)
I have a pc with a lot of charts downloaded with the chart downloader.

I am still more of a test user of OpenCPN as a secondary solution but I am curious where do find free charts if that is what you are referring to. I am struggling finding free charts for Med/Aegean/Adriatic as well as Leeward/Windward islands. If those are available at all, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!
B.

transmitterdan 15-01-2016 20:35

Re: Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgleason (Post 2017425)
I've run out of suggestions. Sorry. Transmitter Dan, can you help?

I don't know enough about RPi platforms to be of much help. RPi users should be able to do some snooping by putting in custom log messages to debug what is happening (or not happening) as the chart downloader proceeds. I think we left a few breadcrumbs from the original development but inserting log messages is pretty simple.

Android users can ask questions over at the Android OpenCPN support forum. But bottom line is that Google has decided to limit where one can put downloaded files. It is an ill-conceived concept IMO. One of the big advantages of Android over iPad is (or was) the ability to store your own data on SD or micro-SD but it seems they are gradually taking that capability away.

rgleason 16-01-2016 03:29

Re: Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
Use Chart Downloaderr or refer to the manual for Chart Sources.

opencpn.org

ac0rn 16-01-2016 05:42

Re: Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by transmitterdan (Post 2017460)
I don't know enough about RPi platforms to be of much help. RPi users should be able to do some snooping by putting in custom log messages to debug what is happening (or not happening) as the chart downloader proceeds. I think we left a few breadcrumbs from the original development but inserting log messages is pretty simple.

Android users can ask questions over at the Android OpenCPN support forum. But bottom line is that Google has decided to limit where one can put downloaded files. It is an ill-conceived concept IMO. One of the big advantages of Android over iPad is (or was) the ability to store your own data on SD or micro-SD but it seems they are gradually taking that capability away.

Interesting that the error message indicates no connection though... I do store charts in a custom location (SD card), so your theory makes some sense. For now I'm using downloader on my Windows laptop, copying the updates to the android tablet over USB, and updating the database. Kind of a pain, but it does save downloading twice ☺

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

transmitterdan 16-01-2016 06:03

Re: Chart downloader - copying charts to other computer
 
The "no connection" message is sort of generic for "we didn't get the file we need". The library used doesn't give us details on the root cause. It can be that a particular route doesn't work or the firewall doesn't like the request. The downloader uses http protocol to retrieve files. The chart catalog is listed in the downloader with its full URL. You can try pasting that URL into a web browser and see what happens.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:07.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.